X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rt3 bass leak on both manuals

i
    hi
    recently i got a rt3 fantastic organ! the problem is that i can hear low octave notes on both manuals. the sound is strong enough and is present in all drawbars but in the first drawbar is the strongest..
    i connected the A terminal of the preamp to a guitar amp to be sure that the problem is not in the ao-28. the matching transformer is microphonic..
    i can hear a low thumb when i tap it.
    so the issue is before the preamp.
    any help?
    thank you
    ps. i tight all preset panel screws and grounds.i supected the psu. i pull all tubes and remove the power cord of the psu.
    Last edited by George Archontakis; 04-14-2020, 04:17 AM.

Can you give some more description of the problem?

For example, when the organ is on, tone generator running, but not being played, are you hearing notes from both manuals?
    Hammond RT-3, Estey circa 1903, Baldwin Acrosonic spinet piano, Fender Rhodes Mark I 73 stage piano.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherDB113 View Post
      Can you give some more description of the problem?

For example, when the organ is on, tone generator running, but not being played, are you hearing notes from both manuals?
      thanks for the replay.
      no, i have no sound when nothing is played.
      the drawbars work ok.
      there is a low octave note like a 5th note attached to every drawbar but its more strong at the first drawbar

Comment

Just to clarify: With one drawbar out on either manual, and you hold down a single note, you will hear a second note (which is a fifth) at the same time? I get it that the first drawbar, that phantom note will be more prominent.

Therefore when playing some music it doesn't necessarily sound terrible, even though there is obviously something wrong?
        Hammond RT-3, Estey circa 1903, Baldwin Acrosonic spinet piano, Fender Rhodes Mark I 73 stage piano.

Comment

Just to clarify: With one drawbar out on either manual, and you hold down a single note, you will hear a second note (which is a fifth) at the same time? I get it that the first drawbar, that phantom note will be more prominent.

Therefore when playing some music it doesn't necessarily sound terrible, even though there is obviously something wrong?
          yes with a drawbar out i hear a bass note that moves tonicaly as i play.. the organ sounds good but it has a bass heavy overall sound and has a "tonic dirt"
          i have read about leak tones but it most of the times happens in the lower manual.

Comment

Thanks for the description. I've never heard of 'tonic dirt' before, though it sounds like it might be a good name for a punk or grunge band.

My first thought, though I don't know if it will do any good, is to clean the drawbar contacts. You will need some contact cleaner in a spray can with the little straw. There is a pretty good video on youtube which shows how this is done on an A100 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF1Lj_sDBRk On an RT3 the procedure is the same and actually easier. No need to remove the top of the console, since it is taller than the A. Just remove the back and you will be able to access the rear of the drawbars. The patch panel for presets is lower in an RT so you can get the drawbars normally hidden behind it.

Comment

Thanks for the description. I've never heard of 'tonic dirt' before, though it sounds like it might be a good name for a punk or grunge band.

My first thought, though I don't know if it will do any good, is to clean the drawbar contacts. You will need some contact cleaner in a spray can with the little straw. There is a pretty good video on youtube which shows how this is done on an A100 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF1Lj_sDBRk On an RT3 the procedure is the same and actually easier. No need to remove the top of the console, since it is taller than the A. Just remove the back and you will be able to access the rear of the drawbars. The patch panel for presets is lower in an RT so you can get the drawbars normally hidden behind it.
              i have already cleaned the drawbars Christopher..
              but i was thinking to do a better job by removing the cover.
              maybe its a leak somewhere in the drawbar assembly.. tonic dirt is a good name for punk band..he he very clever!!

Comment

If this is the first real Hammond you’ve played, this is possibly just rumble and crosstalk. Is it a wax capped generator? One thing you can check is whether there is anything bridging the generator terminals. That happened to me once. Also check the wires at each end of the drawbar base where they attach to the ends of the bus bars.
                drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Drawbar Dave View Post
                  If this is the first real Hammond you’ve played, this is possibly just rumble and crosstalk. Is it a wax capped generator? One thing you can check is whether there is anything bridging the generator terminals. That happened to me once. Also check the wires at each end of the drawbar base where they attach to the ends of the bus bars.
                  thank you for the advice!
                  this is not my first tonewheel hammond, i had a t200 and now i have a e312 too!
                  i have some experience modding them and i added foldback contacts on the t200.
                  it is not crosstalk, but rumble is closer to describe.
                  it has paper covered caps in the twg but i am not sure if they are wax type caps:maybe there is a leak there?
                  i ll try to check the front generator terminals but i have to find some info how to reach them!
                  the rt3 s cabinet is not the same as b3 s...

Comment

after some research i guess that the problem has to do with the twg filtering.. my rt3 is made in 1961. maybe it needs the filtering upgrade of the hammond tsb #16.
                    i notice that if i only pull out the 3rd drawbar, the ghost notes are found one octave lower in the manual than just pull out the first drawbar!
                    anybody have done this filter upgrade?
                    any advice will be a great help for me!

Comment

Working...
                    X