X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawbar Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Papus View Post
    Has anyone considered using the Boss MD-500 Modulation pedal in place of a scanner vibrato/chorus?
    It has a faithful scanner emulation, with adjustments for a plethora of parameters (depth, rate, the usual stuff).
    Assuming it would be relatively straightforward to insert the pedal in the signal path where the scanner & delay line plus recovery amplifier would normally be, such that the pedal is placed in the path when the vibrato rocker switch is engaged.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/md-500/
    I demoed one when it came out and didn’t like it at all.

Leave a comment:

• Papus
    replied
    Has anyone considered using the Boss MD-500 Modulation pedal in place of a scanner vibrato/chorus?
    It has a faithful scanner emulation, with adjustments for a plethora of parameters (depth, rate, the usual stuff).
    Assuming it would be relatively straightforward to insert the pedal in the signal path where the scanner & delay line plus recovery amplifier would normally be, such that the pedal is placed in the path when the vibrato rocker switch is engaged.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/md-500/

Leave a comment:

• Drawbar Dave
    replied
    Thanks Pete! This is going to be a fun project!

Leave a comment:

• Sweet Pete
    replied
    Drawbar Dave,
    Here are the pics of vib/chorus switch and 'chorus drawbar' locations.Switch is 95mm to center of bathandle, from left edge of desk.Center of chorus drawbar is 35MM from right edge.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sweet Pete
    replied
    I have here a CV rheo box,BCV rheo box,and a BV rheo box.All different.While open might as well clean the scanner,1950 was a while back now.
    Door thresholds really jig a work platform nice as you can see.The caps are all measured already lined up for #62-70.Filters #49-61 came up on the expected curve so far so good.No worries,the chorus is going back in too,shall remain a BCV,with smooth playing keys.
    This organ is running while the caps are replaced,much like modern human surgery where the patient remains awake.Those work lights with magnifier from Lee Valley are outstanding!
    Made in China.Left handed,see the Weller pencil?Also made in China.
    Northern BC SN N203,Montreal Quebec built, in 1937.Will have a '49 BV amp and rheo when assembled.The field kit from the V upgrade in '50
    is not as good a candidate for rebuild,the transformer leaks.
    The BV is getting a -3 drawbar base and an AO28.Already has smooth keys and -3 drawbars, there is a split preset panel for it so that will be next.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sweet Pete; 05-17-2020, 02:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Drawbar Dave
    replied
    While I think of it, would anybody with one of these be able to measure the distance from the music rack to the centre of the switch for me?

Leave a comment:

• Drawbar Dave
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Enor very interesting!

• enor
    replied
    The one in your picture is the one that's in my old AV. As to why it says "with vibrato 1 or 2"... I think it's because they deemed the effect too deep on vibrato 3, and wanted to discourage such use. Remember, the scanner vibrato was meant to replace the sound of the chorus generator ... which is a much more subtle effect.

Leave a comment:

• Drawbar Dave
    replied
    I managed to find a vibrato chorus toggle switch on ebay - picture attached. There appear to be two different face plates for them. Both versions of the switch look mechanically the same.
    The other more common switch just has normal vibrato written one side and vibrato chorus on the other. Any idea why there are two versions? It seems strange too that the writing on mine appears to indicate that you only get chorus on vib one and two.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vc2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	727757

Leave a comment:

• tpappano
    replied
    I disabled that inductor in my CV by jumpering across it, one of Kon's suggestions for "waking" it up 8)

Leave a comment:

• Drawbar Dave
    replied
    Thanks for that. There is something extra shown in the service manual for the bv/cv box but it’s had to tell what it is. It makes sense now.

Leave a comment:

• muckelroy
    replied
    There is an inductor inside the BV / CV rheostat boxes which is not present in the Model A, or BC era organs. The service manual does not specifically describe what the inductor does in this application but given that the vibrato field upgrade kits probably didn't include a replacement rheostat box for the first-generation organs, you're probably fine keeping it as-is.

Leave a comment:

• Drawbar Dave
    commented on 's reply
    Cool thanks.

• enor
    replied
    My model AV retains the original rheostat box even though it's had the "-V kit" installed. So, at least it works!

Leave a comment:

• Drawbar Dave
    replied
    That’s great news, thanks guys. I think the confusion over the extra transformer in the rheostat box came from old posts on here that I read ages ago. I think there were differing views over whether the rheostat box was changed to a CV one during an up grade too which had added to the muddle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X