Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M3 lower manual hum

Hi everyone. First time posting here.

I recently got an M3, my first Hammond. It had been very neglected and I'd like to get it back in shape. Very dusty, but i've enjoyed taking it apart to clean and to learn how it works.

One issue I'm having is that the lower manual has a terrible hum when keys are pressed. It is louder on some keys than others, and completely disappears when no keys are pressed. The notes also play, but the hum is so loud it kind of drowns them out. This hum is present on some, but not all, keys on the upper manual, but is much much quieter.

What do y'all suggest as a place to start? Clean bussbars? resolder ground wire connections in manual? replace capacitors? Complete newbie here.

Is this a chopped organ, or is it still in its stock furniture? This sounds like the typical type of problem one gets from moving up the amplifier in a chop...
    Current organs: AV, BC, A-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 142, 147, 760
    Organs in the past: L-100 (several), M-100 (x2), T-100, E-100, CV
    Other keyboards: Roland FP-4, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Korg Krome, Novation Mininova

Comment

Not chopped. Original furniture.

Comment

I made a short video to illustrate the issue. I'd appreciate any input!

Comment

Ok, a couple of things

* You have a short to ground in your vibrato scanner, or possibly the switch assembly. That's a bad case of vibrato motorboating there.

* The generator is INCREDIBLY noisy and resonates to the cabinet, and also seems to run very very sluggish - it sounds like it stops on the second as you switch the organ off. You definitely need to do something about that.

* The type of hum you're having is the kind you would normally hear if you hit the "start" switch while the amp is running. This has me wondering - is the start motor disengaging as you let go of it? The noisy generator in combination with this hum almost makes me think the start motor stays energised and engaged?
          Other keyboards: Roland FP-4, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Korg Krome, Novation Mininova

Comment

Thanks Enor! I had not considered the starting motor but that seems possible. Will chase some of these ideas down this week.

Comment

Originally posted by tinybobseger View Post
              Thanks Enor! I had not considered the starting motor but that seems possible. Will chase some of these ideas down this week.
              Does the start switch spring back when you release it?

Comment

HA! It was springing back, but not all the way. If I press it another time or two, it releases. Bad engine noise goes away. Hum goes away. Nailed it Enor. Thank you!

Comment

..........and you are oiling it with-what?
                  Larry K

Hammond BV+22H+DR-20, Celviano for piano practice
                  Retired: Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H, Hammond Aurora Custom, Colonnade.

Comment

Working...
                  X