A100 - sticky wire coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A100 - sticky wire coating

Hi All, I own anA100. I oiled it this past weekend. A few days later I just happened to notice some of the wiring looked "wet" I know I took care not to over oil it. Upon further inspection the wires are not wet with oil but some of the speaker wires and some thinner wires soldered to the amp are sticky and seem to be deteriorating. I see no bare wires. I assume the plastic wire coating is just breaking down after 50 plus years. Is this common? Should I leave it be? Replace just the sticky wires? Don't want to have a fire hazard on my hands. Seems like a repair to replace all the wiring would exceed the value of the organ. Thoughts?

Though you may not have over oiled the organ, unless you are the original owner, and even then, oil may have accumulated on these and other surfaces. Oil does evaporate, and there could be minute aerosol throw off from the multitude of bearings. 60 years of oil goes somewhere. Take a tiny amount of a mild oil based thinner like turp or lighter fluird on a corner of paper towel and wipe part of one of the wires. I think you will see a brownish residue when you look at the towel. Do not use acetone, laqcuer thinner or goo gone as these thinners may soften the insulation. Power cords, brown "lamp cord" internal power wiring on some consoles. may deteriorate with time and must be replaced, but these tend to crumble like dry bread and not become sticky.
    Larry K

Hammond BV+22H+DR-20, Celviano for piano practice
    Retired: Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H, Hammond Aurora Custom, Colonnade.

Comment

Some plastic wire insulation does get sticky by itself over decades. It just depends on the insulation.

You can clean the sticky stuff off with alcohol -- if you can find any alcohol these days . . .
      I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

• Baseman norm
        Baseman norm commented
        Editing a comment
        Lots at the liquor store

Vodka would be a suitable substitute. Or you could drink the vodka and not care about the sticky.
      Larry K

Hammond BV+22H+DR-20, Celviano for piano practice
      Retired: Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H, Hammond Aurora Custom, Colonnade.

Comment

Working...
      X