Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papus
    replied
    While you're at it, now is a good time to do a naptha flush on the tone wheel generator and refill with Hammond oil

Leave a comment:

• Papus
    replied
    A modern fan or HVAC motor run cap with the correct capacitance and at least the same voltage capacity as the Hammond cap will do the job.
    Be careful handling and disposing of the old cap - you don't want to come into contact with any PCB oil or burnt paper fragments.

Leave a comment:

• Sweet Pete
    replied
    Unlikely TWGH will ship anything bad from there,but it is a long journey.I would head for the local HVAC industrial supply shop with the cap in hand to read and match values.
    There's a good chance you'll match it up.Acklands Grainger,etc.Out here I use Gregg Distributors for fan motor run caps.Long time since I played the Greywood and Misty Moon.

Leave a comment:

• Josh Lake
    replied
    ...the USA are reckless with the Covid stuff, they are literally dying off fast down there! 😕

Leave a comment:

• Josh Lake
    replied
    Oh my god....I don’t know how to change a house light yet...but I feel like I should cut out that big cap and get rid of it!

Leave a comment:

• handyczech
    replied
    If you can change a household light switch, you can change the capacitor. Order from Tonewheel General Hospital website. Old ones are dangerous, filled with pcb chemicals and not to be dismissed as the US reaaction to covid has been.

Leave a comment:

• Josh Lake
    replied
    Ah right!

Sorry it’s been awhile between posts! But I see the big, silver capacitor you’re talking about.

I bet that’s exactly what it is. Do you guys know what’s involved in installing a replacement if I were to purchase one?

But, now that my L-112 is working and the L-102 is not my wife might kill me for taking up space with two Hammonds lol!

Leave a comment:

• handyczech
    replied
    The L motors use a run capacitor-probably toast and about to leak or blow nasty pcb's. Get a new one from Tonewheel General Hospital. It is the rounded silver can near the motor.

Leave a comment:

• tpappano
    replied
    I don't think your in for a lot of 'headaches', but you might need a little patience 8) On some of these organs, if they have been neglected the generator can become stuck simply from lack of lubrication. They can be un-stuck with a little oil, tinkering and patience. The first thing to check- can you turn the motor/generator shaft with your fingers? In a normal working generator the shaft should turn very easily. If the generator turns easily, the problem could be the motor, 'run' capacitor, or associated wiring, but first things first 8)

Leave a comment:

• Josh Lake
    replied
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Upon a closer look I discovered likely why the L-102 isn’t producing any sound...the tone wheel motor isn’t turning!

it turns on and the speakers “work” but yeah the motor isn’t working. Does anyone know if it’s a simple fix, or am I potentially in for a lot of headaches at this point?

thanks.

Leave a comment:

• enor
    replied
    All L-series guts are completely interchangeable, except for the Porta-B which is slightly different.

Leave a comment:

• Drawbar Dave
    replied
    Which amp are you referring to? There are several in an L1xx organ.

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    Yes, it will work. The last two digits in the model number refer only to the cabinet style and wood veneer used, the organs are identical. If the amp works in the L112, you've ruled out a problem in the amp. So I'd look at the power supply and distribution of required voltages etc.

Leave a comment:

• Josh Lake
    started a topic Hammond L-112 Amp in an L-102

Hammond L-112 Amp in an L-102

Hi there, I’m sorry if this is duplicated in another thread on the site, but does anyone know if an amp from an L-112 can work in a L-102?

The specs of both organs are the same, but when tried it, it doesn’t work in my L-102. But it does work in the L-112.

Is there something I need to do so I can get it working?

Thanks everyone
    Last edited by Josh Lake; 07-10-2020, 01:12 AM.
Working...
X