Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker/amp for XK-3c?

Hi.

I'm looking for a decent ($500 - 700) powered speaker or amp for my XK-3c and will be using it with my Korg D1 too. 99 % home practice. For now I'm not on a Leslie budget. Sound quality is important, not so much volume/watts. Does the XK-3c require stereo speakers?

Thank's for advice.

/ Peter
    Hammond XK-3c / Kawai CS11 / Yamaha U1 / Korg D1 / Gibson SG Std

Peter,

For now, I'll leave your post where you have placed it, but may I point you to our Classifieds section as an option?
    https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...rs-classifieds

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
      Peter,

For now, I'll leave your post where you have placed it, but may I point you to our Classifieds section as an option?
      https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...rs-classifieds

Michael
      Thank's for the tip Michael. Just finding my way around here so hopefully better next time.

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, no problem at all. We enjoy having new blood–it enriches the Forum immensely!

Michael

The old faithful JBL EON was a staple for small band PA's and keyboard players.
      Don't know if it's still in current production though.
      These days you'll see a lot of RCF and other knock-off brands of powered PA speakers.
      I think the EON was around 800 watts from memory, plenty for practice, even with a band.
      If you're practicing in a home studio/workstation environment, then I'd get a pair of 8" powered studio monitors, and invest in a Mini Vent II as funds allow.
      Current:
      1971 T-202 with Carsten Meyer mods: Remove key click filters, single-trigger percussion, UM 16' drawbar volume correction. Lower Manual bass foldback.
      Korg CX3 (original 1980's analogue model).
      1967 Leslie 122 with custom inbuilt preamp on back panel for 1/4" line-level inputs, bass & treble controls. Horn diffusers intact.
      2009 Marshall 2061x HW Plexi head into Marshall 4x12 cabinet.

Former:
      1964 C3
      196x M-102
      197x X5
      197x Leslie 825

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        IIRC, the JBL EON powered speakers were 300 Watts RMS. At one time I purchased them to use for sound systems in a theatre classroom and a music classroom. They worked great!

I would imagine they could be found on the used market, but I would definitely check them out before committing to a purchase to be sure they had not been abused in their prior life.

Michael

Thank's for your respons! So - no stereo amp/speakers needed for the XK-3c? Thought I read somewhere that if it's stereo out and just one channel in the amp, there could be confusion and crappy sound quality in the speaker.

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Ajax,

So, your line output is stereo? If youo put a small, powered mixer between the organ and speaker, you should be able to pan both channels to the center for output to the speaker.

Some people prefer guitar amplifiers, as they usually have limited equalization possibilities. The JBL wouldn't have that.

Michael

Well, at least my output looks like two lines out (Left & Right). Allthough the left one doubles as "Mono out". Maybe I should just use that one?

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, that would work to get a mono signal.

Michael

Great, thank's!

Comment

If you want a good leslie emulation, then you'll really need stereo amplification. Mono sims are far less convincing IMHO. Roland used to make some very handy stereo amps that came in a combo-amp type case. Two amps, one woofer and two mid range / tweeters. Sounded good with arranger keyboards running through them, so should handle the Hammond with ease. Worth a look if they still make them.

In a home situation, two good powered monitors and a sub would be my preferred option.
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thank's Andy. Been actually looking a little at Rolands KC-220. Small but said to have excellent sound qualities. I'm fond of Roland amps since my guitar era. Used them a lot.

Comment

I have a Roland KC 3 channel amp that is mono but sounds good with a ventilator through it
            Hammonds; BV, M101, T202, T402, R100
            Lowreys; Heritage DSA, Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1
            Farfisa Compact Duo MK2 CD/30
            Analog Korg CX3
            Leslies; 147, 145, HL822 ​

Comment

Originally posted by Drawbar Dave View Post
              I have a Roland KC 3 channel amp that is mono but sounds good with a ventilator through it
              Ok, what Roland Model is that IIMA?

Comment

Working...
              X