X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my M-103 - Upper manual volume loss

Hello, </p>

I just encountered a new problem with my M-103. It was working great for the last couple of months since I purchased it and got it running but all of a sudden, the upper manual barely has any volume at all. The lower manual seems to be fine. This problem is independent of the vibrato function and is the same low volume with and without vibrato. I did notice that the percussion seems to be sounding loud and clear when switched on. I did some tube swapping in the amp and none of that did any good. </p>

I'm not really sure where to go from here so if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.  </p>

Thanks! </p>

Randy </p>

Re: Problem with my M-103 - Upper manual volume loss

According to the block diagram for the Hammond Tone Wheel organs the only spot that would isolate a single keyboard is the preset panel. Check your tabs above the keyboard and the switching behind them. Both Upper and Lower meet going into the expression so it can't be in the amp. Hope you have success getting the sound back.

Comment

Thanks OrgansR4Me. I take a look there. Should I just give em a shot of contact cleaner and work them a little? Is there anything that I should look for in particular?</p>

</p>

Comment

Check to make sure the contacts are making good connection and yes, if you find any surface dirt do a thorough cleaning. The Schober Orphan site is a good place to learn about restoration techniques (even though they don't relate to the tone wheel generators many other connections have similar issues). Hope you have good success.

Comment

It's been a while since I made this post but I just today got a chance to spend some time on a fix. I inspected and cleaned all of the contacts for the tab switches for the preset, vibrato, percussion, etc. Unfortunately for me the volume problem on the upper manual persits. One thing that I noticed is that when percussion is switched on the percussion itself seems to sound at full volume. When I play with the percussion on that's basically all I hear since it is considerably louder than the standard sounds that it is mixed in with. The lower manual still sounds loud and clear. I'm not sure where to look next so if anyone has any advice at all I would greatly appreciate it. </p>

</p>

Thanks,</p>

Randy </p>

Comment

My guess is the metalic zinc hairs that grow in the organ over time are shorting something out. </p>

I've
            read a restoration manual where they had this same problem as your
            organ. The solution was opening the matching transformer (round
            cylinder type thing with 2 screws). The act of simply removing the
            cover was enough to correct the problem. You'll notice these zinc hairs
            all over the place. Clean them off so that they don't make contact with
            the cover. </p>

This problem was occuring in a B3. I think your m100 should have this matching transformer too. Check it out!

</p>

</p>

Comment

Thanks Johnny. I was already suspecting the matching transformer from other posts that I have read. I actually have been in the matching transformer about 3 times in the last several days to inspect and clean. It really appears to be in good shape and I used Deoxit on all of the contacts. Still having my problem though. I will check it yet again for zinc dendrites but if anyone has any other suggestions of where to go next ... I would be grateful.

Comment

I said it the other day - If I worked at the hammond factory I would
                have lasted 10 mins before dissolving into rage and hurling something
                heavy across the room.</p>

"Hmm, lets put this slot head screw into
                this tiny opening between the manuals that noone will ever figure out
                how to remove." </p>

Anyway - these are old complex machines
                which have so many ins and outs - these zinc dendrites don't help
                anything...what a headache - i'm sure you can attest. </p>

I wonder where another short could be happening...</p>

Comment

LOL! These are really amazing devices these Hammonds. Those were definitely different times when these were made and I really have to respect the amount of work that went into crafting these instruments. And zinc dendrites sounds like something from Star Trek. : )</p>

Which reminds me of something that I somehow left out of my situation. I recently installed an effects loop from Trek II. This effects loop actually interfaces with you guessed it, the matching transformer. The install was a total success despite the fact that I know very little about electronics. Everything worked great with the effects loop for several weeks. Then all of a sudden I noticed that the upper manual was not well. I can't imagine that anything that I put in that loop could have done damage to the organ but I can't help but think now that there may be a connection. So if this is in anyway a help in diagnosing my problem or gives any clues please please let me know. I want my organ back!!</p>

Thanks guys. </p>

Comment

Working...
                  X