New problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New problem

I know, I just posted and said I fixed my Hammond organ. Model 4072. I fixed the hum. However, shortly after word, a new problem has arisen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	89941C48-44A9-4A1C-AC7F-7A924DC4A03D.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	746733

do you see these buttons? Reed, string, tibia, theater, full organ, cancel. For some reason, all the stops and the buttons comprising of the reeds and the strings are not working. They play one staccato note, but they don’t hold a note when you hold down the key.

in full organ mode, all you hear is the tibia, and a short staccato of the strings and reeds..

same thing when you have all the stops down.

strangely enough, this problem only affects the upper keyboard.

I have a mechanic scheduled to come in on December 8. However, until then, do you guys have any recommendations for me? Do I need to clean more connectors?

In these organs, there's always a connector left to clean ;)
    Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Thanks. I’ll continue to clean the connectors.

Comment

Found my problem while cleaning the connectors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	811F0C47-AA23-4032-8642-F5772367B0FE.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	746760

That 35 V capacitor came loose somehow.

i’m glad I didn’t cancel the appointment with the professional who would fix the organ. I honestly don’t feel comfortable working with capacitors.

Comment

I forgot to add, I am NOT playing the organ until it is fixed on December 8th.

Until then, I’m using my Lowrey spinet Organ.

Comment

As you can see though, it's a 35V cap - and the voltage is always selected with some margin to make sure it holds up over time. In other words - this is a harmless one to work with; and you can clearly see where it was attached. I say go for it.
            Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
            Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Buy a simple soldering iron and solder at your Ace Hardware. This is electronics 101. This is easy and you can do it.
              Larry K

Hammond BV+22H+DR-20, Celviano for piano practice
              Retired: Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H, Hammond Aurora Custom, Colonnade.

Comment

Have you ever soldered before? I'd clean off the capacitor lead with some 400 grit sand paper, apply a thin film of flux to it and the tab it sill be soldered to, then apply heat and solder to both and hold in place until it cools enough to harden.
                Allen 530A

Comment

After getting through a lot of anxiety and fear about capacitors, I finally buckled down and soldered the capacitor. It was successfully soldered, successfully repaired, but the problem is still there.

At this point, I’m just going to wait for a professional to look at the organ on the eighth of December.

I want to thank you all. You helped me get through a fear I had, Which is hard to do because of ADHD

Jared

Comment

• Nutball
                    Nutball commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fear is good, just understand the situation and proceed appropriately. Familiarity helps too. When I fixed a conn organ, I spent a few hours just looking at it before I became familiar enough with the insides to be able to take it apart in 5min, work on it, and have it back together in 5min.

I remember some youtuber electronics guy who was shocking himself probably 5 times per video. I don't think it was for entertainment, I think he was simply careless. I thought I was being careful once with a disposable camera flash circuit, but apparently the switch part of the circuit was more shocking than the high voltage output end, and I was being stupid and messing with steel wool which can drop loose little stands. Anyway I got zapped from hand to hand, and I thought I might die. But that was a 330v little capacitor feeding a tiny transformer, and surprisingly they have been known to cause temporary paralysis by depolarizing muscles. That was one circuit I underestimated, and I wasn't even trying to shock myself with it.

Here is a video of the problem. I am still working on cleaning connectors.

Jared

Comment

Fixed it. Look at my new topic.

Comment

Working...
                    X