Hammond BX3 sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond BX3 sale

I just found out IK multimedia is having a sale for the Hammond BX3 virtual instrument! Not affiliated with the company, but the sale put it in my price range! Just wanted to let others know.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/hammondb3x/

Figures considering I just bought it on 11/09...lol. I am enjoying it though. Has a great sound.

Comment

I just downloaded and installed the trial, and I'm interested in getting some kind of keyboard to use...what would I need (minimum investment)? I do have a real A-102 with a 122A leslie but this intrigues me! lol

Comment

You could look into something like this:

https://www.m-audio.com/keystation-61-mk3

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0A1K

I haven't used either of these personally, but I have considered buying them. They are both relatively inexpensive, and have a good track record. Many users on another forum I follow have used these or prior versions in setups for a virtual organ console.

Comment

I'm downloading the trial, too. This is more my price range, too. (I looked at it last year. Took long enough to go on sale.)
          -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project, 1899 Kimball project
          -- 5 melodicas, Rodgers W5000, RD300NX, Juno DS-61/88, FA-06 - Conn 643 - Hammond M3 - Hauptwerk
          -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Try as a keyboard the M Audio Code 61 - I tried several B3 emulations with it. The good thing as that you have multiple Midi-Controllers, as for example 9 sliders, that you can use for the drawbars. The keyboard is fairly good.

Comment

This is not looking too auspicious. MIDI-Ox shows that my Rodgers sends out CC# number messages on drawbar change, but on CH 12 and 13, and I haven't found any setting to alter that. B3-X manual says that "one instance of" the program can only monitor 4 channels. 12 just happens be the default location of the lower manual and 13 is the upper manual. Pressing the MIDI buttons changes that to CH 1, 2, 3, which modern equipment seems to like, but the drawbars channels don't change. When I do set B3-X to CC# on channel 12 or 13, the auto-learn feature crashes and leaves an empty entry. So I go to their website and read back in the support forum.

A. The program is not the most popular in their forum.

B. They don't answer questions anyway.

So I was thinking this might upgrade the Hammond clonewheel part of my Rodgers, but it doesn't look like it will.

Bummer. It is pretty.
              -- 5 melodicas, Rodgers W5000, RD300NX, Juno DS-61/88, FA-06 - Conn 643 - Hammond M3 - Hauptwerk
              -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

• Silken Path
                Silken Path commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmm... The thought just occurred to me that I could try it on Ch. 12/13/14. The organ doesn't care.

• Silken Path
                Silken Path commented
                Editing a comment
                So I tried it on the Juno 61, the FA, and the two-octave pedalboard. It took some fiddling in the FA settings, which I may be able to improve, but I got both manuals, pedals, and six user-assignable knobs (as drawbars) working. I had been planning to work on the "tonewheel" organ in the FA, which is pretty good, and which sounds mean through my Ventilator 2, but the little Crumar, etc, MIDI drawbar sets are as expensive as some decent keyboards that HAVE drawbars. So B3-X is not out of consideration, but I'll have to come up with a way to either move more drawbars or select presets without having to touch the screen. The FA won't send just ANY CC# but it has a bunch that aren't used. Maybe fifty or so, I'm guessing.

The tonewheel in the Rodgers was a serious try. They wanted it to sell to churches that had an old Hammond that needed replacing. It also has the Rodgers classic library in it...

Just had another idea. I could put a USB keyboard from the laptop on the FA and that would give me 80 more switches.

(My life has just been TOO interesting lately. I'm loving for a little calmness.)

• Silken Path
                Silken Path commented
                Editing a comment
                And this thread probably should have been in "Virtual Organs" I'm going to bed.

There may be other software that is more controllable for you. I tried out Blue G3 and VB3-II but settled on B3-X. I did like VB3-II quite a lot. I wish I could combine the best of all of them.

I’m using MainStage and stumbled upon layering B3-X over VB3-II and the sound was stellar. VB3-II is also a lot less than B3-X, on sale, and there is a demo. Yesterday I programmed the 8 buttons on my NI-S61 to jump between presets so that helped out a lot.

Comment

I purchased and downloaded it (B-3X). Everything went well, and it works great on Mac OS 11 Big Sur. I have yet to try it out on my organ console, as I’m waiting for Steinberg to release a compatible driver for Big Sur (I have a UR22 interface). I just played around a bit on it on my computer. I think the sound is quite good so far, that the software definitely does a good job recreating the sound with a lot of nuance, and I’m very impressed with the digital Leslie. I didn’t play around with a lot of the other features, but I’ll report back when I do.

Comment

Good going, guys. I'm using Windows here (this is my Hauptwerk laptop). So I guess that modern hardware presents lots of CC# numbers that B3-X expects. The Rodgers insists of sticking with Ch. 12, 13 for the drawbars, while B3-X only watches 4 channels. Since both the Juno and the FA operate on 16 channels simultaneously, this seems to be a little limiting. Anyway, I have a great re-arrange going on again. I'll be watching, Larason2 and thank you mwd

Comment

• JJMcS
                    JJMcS commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sound Quest MIDI Tools has a MIDI Mapper that enables you to change the channels (and pretty much anything else) of MIDI signals.
                    https://squest.com/Products/SQMidiTo...MidiTools.html

• Silken Path
                    Silken Path commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you, JJMcS. Hmm - that will take some studying. I don't have another PC (but I could cobble together one) to dedicate to it, but I had no idea real time processing like that was possible. I probably won't like the price, but I'm going to see if MIDI Solutions Canada has any similar in an inline box. Since the drawbar does not have critical timing this could be what I need. Thanks again.

• JJMcS
                    JJMcS commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You should be able to have the MIDI Mapper in the same computer as the B3-X. It looks like it is $89 US. I don't have a massively complex setup (a Hammond XK-3C System, A Hammond SK-1 on top of it, A couple of slider boxes for extra drawbars) but it has worked flawlessly for me for many years. I use it to have the upper 3+ octaves of the System lower manual "play" the upper manual Hammond of the SK-1, the keyboard of the SK-1 plays its own internal voices along with the extra voices in the XK-3C (and adjusts the velocity higher so I don't have to play Whack_A_Mole with the keys, raises the lower octave+ of the System lower manual an octave to play chords on the XK-3C. It makes channel changes etc. as necessary.

Thanks. I think I would need a complex understanding of what the Rodgers is sending out and what B3-X is expecting. According to MIDI-OX, each click of the drawbar - it doesn't really click - on the Rodgers sends out three messages - three lines in MIDI-Ox. And I totally read it is a program that sits between the input port and the export port. So it reads in the IN port and creates a new IN port for the listening application. Is that right?

I'm also interested in a thing I don't know the name of but saw on some video a while back. It looked like a keyboard top utility pad that contained some drawbars and a bunch of sliders. It might have been USB powered, or it it might have had a MIDI out port. That would have the advantage of being portable across devices. I have an acquaintance who has been a street preacher and who wants to start a welcoming church, probably in a house. I want to use my Juno 61 as an organ and my Juno 88 for a piano. That's the method to the madness of my recent acquisitions. It was not the Fosse Controls unit being made for the B3-X, but it somehow reminded me of a Pegasus Wing.

So I would like it to work with my Rodgers AND with my Juno, but since I've demonstrated it working on the Juno, the FA, and the pedals, I've made some progress. 8 days of demo to decide.

Here's another possibility.

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/crumar-d9u.html

But no MIDI port. Reminds me of their pedals where they put the MIDI port in upside down. (I chose another source.)

Comment

Five bucks will solve the no MIDI port issue on the d9u

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDI-miniTRS

Comment

Not spending $189 on the Crumar will solve it, too. Thank you, mwd - I hadn't realized that the 1/4" WAS the MIDI port! Wow.

Actually, I'm back to the idea of translating the output of the Rodgers into B3-X speak, either with Sound Quest MIDI Mapper or the programmable MIDI Solutions Canada physical link box. I have a couple of their units (merge and split) and they work great. 7 days to decide.

I did see a reference that said something like "modern gear experts that equipment, including drawbars, will present a CC and data 0...127." That might have been at gearslutz, but I've been bouncing around a lot.
                      Last edited by Silken Path; 11-24-2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X