Stuck note on X66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck note on X66

I have a Hammond X66 in pretty good shape. Couple weeks ago one of the foot pedals (E) seems to be stuck “on”. I pulled the pedals, cleaned and checked everything, and gave the connections a spray of deoxit, but the note still sounds all times a drawbar is pulled. Any ideas on possible solutions are greatly appreciated! Also, does anyone know of a sharp organ tech in or near NW North Carolina (Ashe County)? Thanks in advance for the help!

I had a similar issue some weeks ago.... It was fixed by increasing the spring tension of the bass pedal, that is accessible if you remove the housing that hosts the footrest.

​​​​

Comment

Does the note still play when the pedals are out of the organ? If so, try gently depressing the plunger with your finger to exercise it a bit. If not, there is a mechanical problem in the pedal. I can't remember if the X uses the blued steel prongs to push the plunger down. If the note does not sound when the pedals are out, and this is the prong system, try flexing the prong upwards slightly. Unless there is debris or fuzz holding that plunger down. Finding a sharp tech anywhere that will work on these, even in 1969 was tough.
      Larry K

Hammond BV+22H+DR-20, Celviano for piano practice
      Retired: Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H, Hammond Aurora Custom, Colonnade.

Comment

• Massey27609
        Massey27609 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, the note plays without the foot pedals in place. The pedal pushes down a white tab on top of a “leaf-spring” looking switch. At idle, it looks like the switch is not making contact, but I even used a small Emory cloth to ensure the contact was clean. Didn’t think of it, but I guess I could have tried actuating the switch while I had the cover off. Think I will open it up and take another look and try that. Appreciate your thoughts!

I lived in Raleigh NC before retiring and had a great tech there. Might have to entice him to come visit the mountains! 😉

I pulled the pedals again and took a hard look at the switch. Saw nothing wrong, looks identical to other key switches. If I press the foot pedal button, the “leaf springs” appear to make contact properly, but the E sounds all times a drawbar is pulled. I did use a screwdriver to cross over the leafs to “short??” the switch. When doing that, the E tone goes silent. But as soon as it’s sitting as designed, the tone is back. Don’t understand if a switch of this type can go bad, but I’m still looking for a solution. Again, I appreciate all input. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Do you have the service manual? I have not seen one first hand in longer than most people are alive, but I seem to recall each pedal contact is like a module mounted individually on plastic cards. I think there may be a resistor or other components attached to each leaf. Not knowing the theory of the circuit, I would speculate perhaps an open resistor or other failed component on that particular pack. Others wiser than I may have a better idea. I would also look for a pedal processing board that might trigger things like pedal sustain or traps as being involved, but a service manual would be essential.
        Larry K

Hammond BV+22H+DR-20, Celviano for piano practice
        Retired: Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H, Hammond Aurora Custom, Colonnade.

Comment

I do have the service manual and a ton of notes from Dan Virgin (great guy!). I think your thought of it being one of those leaf resistors is right on. I saw those and wondered if there was a way to check them, but I’m sure I don’t have the tools to check them. Really need to find me a sharp electronics tech reasonably close. Appreciate your input handyczech.

Comment

Replace the electrolytic capacitors on the pedal keying circuit, if it’s not a mechanical issue.

Comment

Thanks for everyone’s input. I’ll work on finding a tech, or I may give it a try myself. Thanks all!

Comment

You could (and we always gently ask!) put your location in your profile. City/town is ideal, but state will do at a pinch. You'd be surprised how knowledgeable people on here are when it comes to finding service techs. You may have one right on your doorstep that one of our members will recommend!

Or check out www.mitatechs.org as they have listings.
                It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Working...
                X