This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tada! Leslie 145

after years of scrounging around ebay and craigslist I am the proud new owner of a 145.</p>

I need to pick this up (haven't seen it yet, just pictures) though it was used with a CV in a church since the 40's.</p>

Since this is a 147 amp and was used with a console hammond (plus hints from the picture) there are some mods that I have never seen before, yet I suspect were made to make this amp compatible with this organ (which would normally hook up to a 122 amp) - perhaps you fine folks can help me figure out what was done. I've included two pictures. Please notice that in the first picture there is a black box beside the lower motors, no clue what that is. Also, notice the second picture has an adapter interrupting the 6 pin input. As well, there is an adaptor between the 12AU7 socket and tube with many wires attached.</p>

For me, this leslie's main application will be with a L-100 connection kit. (oh ya, anyone know where my feedback noise is coming from (haha...I laugh, but am also serious about that. pls see my maintenence thread for more info if you think you can help!)
    </p>

Thanks!</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Re: Tada! Leslie 145

Never seen a mod exactly like that, but from what you said, I'd guess you're right: it's probably a system to tap B+ voltage off the Leslie amp and supply it back to the console. Since you said it was used for years with a CV, that would make sense. (Forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir here...) The earlier Hammond consoles required high voltage (called B+, after earlier radio electronics terminology) to be passed back to the console from the tone cabinet - without it, there was no power to the tubes in the organ's preamp, and therefore no sound. (Weird, huh? --The console supplied power to the tone cabinet, then the tone cab supplied some power back to the console.) Apparently this was the first of many attempts bygood old Laurence Hammond to force his customers to buy Hammond tone cabs with their organs - but of course Don Leslie figured that out and built the 21H, 22, 31H etc. to supply B+ just like a Hammond tone cab.</P>

Your situationmight not bebad at all, could be much worse. --I had this exact setup for awhile (CV + 145), but had no clue about the B+ voltage issue... eventually with the help of some of the brilliant andgenerous folks on Hammond_Zone, we determined that the 147 amp in my 145 had been jerry-rigged in a potentially very dangerous way. Took no small amount of soldering and cursing to get it back to stock. But it looks like yours is kind of a modular add-on -- like maybe you could just unplug the two adapters, plug the 12AU7 back in and presto, no more B+. But I'm guessing here... I for one would be very interested if you could keep us posted on this, with more details (and pics) of the mod. Anyway good luck! TD</P>
    Nobody loves me but my mother,
    And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

Comment

PS congrats! Definitely a nice score on that 145, looks to be in great condition. I won't ask what you paid, it'd probably make a grown man (me)cry!
      Nobody loves me but my mother,
      And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

Comment

Well i've been on the hunt for about 4 years. I've come close. Last
        month I found a $1000 combo - 147 living room condition (i have no
        living room) + empty road-worthy 145. Tack on the pre-amp pedal and
        cable thats another $300. Thats just too much for my student wallet. 2
        years ago I found one of Jon Lord's touring leslies on ebay, being sold
        by the tour's production company (it was painted white, suped up guts
        and came with a road case stencilled with Jon's name). As rediculous as
        that is, it was only $300 and sold for under $400. I don't like to
        recall why I lost the auction but it was enough to make me put a hole
        through my bedroom wall. Ouch.

</p>

Today I randomly went on ebay and saw this one for $500, freshly
        listed with only 7 views. It from a church so thats a good start. From
        the picture the amp is not rusty or dinged up - another feature I was
        impressed with. I knew it wouldn't be long before someone snatched it
        and i'd never find one cheaper - done and done! Driving to buffalo on
        saturday. I'll definitely inspect the amp and figure out what's going
        on before running it.

</p>

Comment

Congrats. That is a nice looking leslie. The cabinet looks to be in nice shape too. I imagine you can simply remove those adapters to get an unbalanced connection. That is a nice price for that condition too. If you don't mind my asking, how far of a drive is it to Buffalo? I found my 145 on ebay about this time last summer. I paid a little more than you but my cabinet was in rough condition.

Comment

Congrats indeed. Remove all the bits and put it back to stock 145. Check the internal wiring in the amp to ensure that everything is as it should be in there. then all you need is a 26-1 kit for the L.</P>

Andy</P>
            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
            Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Keep them spinnin'! You have a very late model 145....it has particle board speaker boards. You can do yourself a favor by gutting it when you get it home, and sealing the inside surfaces with clear( or any color,) paint or polyurethane,especially if you are going to use it on the road. The particle board expands and contracts more than the plywood ones do, eventually making it "buzz" or rattle on certain notes. Check the tubes when you get it home, thecloser 6550 doesn't look so good.....Tim (Buffalonian for 30 years, now a Connector...)
              1963 C-3 147 Leslie
              1972 X-77GT 2 - 77P Leslie
              Kurzweil K 2000

Comment

Thanks for the tips, everybody. Keep em' coming!

</p>

Andy: I have my schematics freshly printed. It will take some
                time until I can hook it up (obtaining the hookup kit, etc) so I will
                have time to tinker. The amp is coming straight out and onto the bench.
                I will check for mods and capacitor values - replace anything that has
                wandered. A new set of tubes aren't a bad idea, i'm sure of it.

</p>

Tim, do I only coat the speaker boards or all inside
                surfaces? For now this will be a living room piece but i'm sure it will
                see a gig or two before the year is up (need to raise funds for the
                pre-amp pedal before that can happen)</p>

Model number: H58556 - any idea what year this coresponds to?</p>

Corworld
                - I'm from southern ontario so Buffalo is only 1hr. The leslie is
                coming from a town 200km west of buffalo (being delivered for $75...so
                I can avoid a 400k/4hr round trip).</p>

No messing about. I've
                been looking for a leslie for a long time and my ticket finally
                arrived. It wasn't an auction but instead a "buy it now" sale. I'm
                going to hug the thing when I see it, then take it home and give it
                some TLC. I hope the border guards will be nice...I hate crossing over
                to the darkside (no offence Tim! Connector = Connecticut?)</p>

</p>

I
                was told by a friend that I can make my own connector kit - save some
                dough. I've read Captain foldback's recommendations though I'm a little
                hazy. Is it safe to take power by splicing the wires destined for the
                generator motor? Furthermore, I was also told that the 147 amp does not
                take a line level signal, rather preferes the hot output destined for
                the internal speakers - can anybody confirm these instructions? (I
                would prefer to keep the internals permanantly disconnected).</p>

Thanks again. More pictures as they come.</p>

Comment

You should be able to tap a source of switched AC in the organ easily enough.</P>

Yes the 147 amp needs a hot speaker level signal, line level won't do anything. If you make up your own kit, do remember that the switch for trem/chorale switches AC mains, so make sure it's up to the job. </P>
                  It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                  Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                  Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                  Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

&gt;I need to pick this up (haven't seen it yet, just pictures) though it was used with a CV in a church since the 40's.&lt;</P>

The CV may have been around since the last half of the 40's, but only in a timewarp could it have had a 145 with it then. the 1xx models don't appear till the very late 50s, and the particleboard construction not until well after that.</P>

In the middle front of you amp I see the "console load resistor" thats your key for inputing signal from the organ's own speaker line. It will probably do well on the 8 amp.[li]</P>

Lee</P>

Comment

So here it is...got it home, smells like church! Cleaned it up, removed the amp and motors. Will service them this week (clean and lube, maybe check the brushes). I have a new belt for the bass rotor, however, is it recommended to replace the horn belt? The leslie came with a new spring tensioner pully/bearing, and I can clean these...the belt is obviously old though is not fraying. Does anybody use the new rubber belts which do not require the idler pully? The 6550's are original leslie tubes...does anyone know if the code on them is a date code? the last 4 digits are 7315 on both of them, so is it 1973?
                      </p>

It appears to have a kit installed to make it compatible with the console organ. Here's the amp before cleaning - notice the 6 pin plug, carrying only 1 wire.
                      </p>

</p>

</p>

...which ends up inside the amp. Connects to the capacitor (?) labeled "brown devil" by the transformers, and into the "cond" as labled on the tube chart (Condenser?), This part of the schematic is a bit confusing. I see "cond" on the page, but I can't see all of its terminals. Anyway...on with the story... </p>

</p>

Here is the box inside the leslie: The single wire 6-pin which exits the amp plugs into the box's 6 pin receptacle. All the wires below it run to the 147 amps 2 adapters - one that goes between the 12AU7 and its socket, and one that sits between the 6pin cable and 6 pin input. The knob is a volume pot. Above it are instructions: place the two adapters in place (as mentioned above). The note on the adapter says that some consoles require a supply voltage (which we know already) and that it can be supplied separately, OR have another tone cabinet plugged into the proved receptacle. So I guess you can use other tone cabinets or 122 leslie and plug it into this adapter for that necessary supply voltage. So what is the point of that orange wire/6pin which connects the amp to this box?
                      </p>

</p>

Its current resting place:
                      </p>

</p>

</p>

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
                      </p>

Comment

Here is the full schematic:</p>

</p>

http://captain-foldback.com/Leslie_sub/Leslie_schematics/147.GIF</p>

</p>

Here is a blow-up of the portion where the mystery lead connects to the amp:</p>

(the 10K resistor attached is a hollow cylinder, I haven't seen something like that before...is it a special resistor?)</p>

I guess I never stated the problem - Can I pull this wire and resistor out without adverse effects?
                        </p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

Don't touch that resistor.It's a power resistor, and removing it would cause some very adverse effects! I would replace the carbon resistors. They're the brown ones with colored bands. They last longer than the wax paper caps, but they do go bad eventually.

Comment

Ok...but what do I do with that wire, I want to remove that 6 pin plug. Can i just remove the wire where it meets the resistor, leaving only the resistor and its connection to the amp?</p>

</p>

I want my amp to be stock, as in the schematics...so why would it cause adverse effects if I remove it?</p>

Comment

Leave the power resistor where it is. It is original to the amp. I would just snip the wire and be done with it. The con. on the schematic is the multi-section cap. The B+ for the console is taken at this point. You may want to replace that multi-section cap at some point too. They are really easy to swap out with the plug-in connector.

Comment

Working...
                              X