X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bremar
    replied
    Re: E-100/E-133 Percussion Questions

I remember the area behind the perc tabs--the colored wires are traceable to the various drawbars. seems like you could snip and jumper to get the desired 2nd and 3rd harmonics. I tried that, but my several attempts didn't work out, and I got impatient, put it back together and sold it cheap to a nice young lady who was beginning organ lessons. I could visualize it working out, though. I'm just a little shy on schematic reading to go it alone as yet.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo
    replied

Thanks for the response, bremar! We're on the same wavelength. </p>

I could have paid less for the E-133 but I bought it from a church and the proceeds were going to fund their programs for kids. I figured the $75 was a fair enough price considering it was going to a good cause. The organ was donated to the church by an elderly congregant who thought it could be used during services. However, the church has state-of-the-art equipment so the organ was delegated to the kids' romper room where the little darlings used it to make noises and proceeded to "decorate" the keys with crayons. The church even has a B-3 that is just sitting covered in a back room since they don't use it either. I asked the fellow at the church to keep me in mind if they decide to sell that one. [:P]
    </p>

I can follow the wires from the percussion tabs on the E-133 but they seem to go in multiple directions. The main wires head off to two plugs that are on a box under the keyboard manuals. I'm guessing that's where I need to look but I'm a little hesitant to remove the manuals for a more in-depth look. I don't want to go there and find out later that I'm looking in the wrong area or that I didn't need to remove the manuals for the mod. More likely, I'd take the manuals apart and still not be able to figure out what exactly to do once I got in there. I don't want to end up with dissected Hammond parts all over the living room for weeks or months due to my lack of knowledge. </p>

I'll probably put the "E" back together and enjoy it as is for the time being. I'll keep looking for more detailed directions before I proceed with any percussion mods. Thanks again for your input and encouragement.
    </p>

- Rick
    </p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Leave a comment:

• bremar
    replied

Yeah man--go for it. An E-100 isn't a valuable model, as you discovered when you bought the bench. I would be bummed if you took it to the dump for no good reason, but you're not going to destroy anything by what you're attempting. If anything, you'll increase its value.
    </p>

I tried the same mod on an E-100, but grew impatient and put it back to stock. As far as finding the transformer--just start following wires to and from the percussion tabs is the first place to start. I know it's a simple operation, and everything is easy enought to get to in there. It would be great if someone smart would take the time to do a more detailed description of this mod. They are great organs, and cheap, and this mod would make them very usable. </p>

I'll bet money that future generations of Hammond players won't miss the banjo setting. But you never know--maybe Trek II will have to come out with an after-market percussion mod for B-3's.
    </p>

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo
    replied

[quote user="bluetantra"]

Honestly, I think you should enjoy playing it and learning more about how it works. There are more percussion effects available to you on the E-series than on a B. The E-100s and E-300s have more of a theatrical voicing, where the E-200 has some different percussion tabs and a locking top for church or public places. Like a classic car, your Hammond's value is going to lie in its originality as well as its condition. Just my two cents.</p>

John</p>

[/quote]</p>

Thanks for your input, John! Points well taken.
    </p>

I'm keeping my M-3 and E-100 in stock condition - no mods. However, the E-133 already had some "issues" when I bought it so I'm not as concerned about keeping it "pristine" or trying to restore it to its original condition. I bought the E-133 for $75. Actually, I didn't want the organ, I just wanted to buy the bench that came with it because I didn't have a bench for my E-100. Getting the organ as part of the deal was just a bonus. I figured that the E-133 would be a good for scavenging replacement parts for the E-100 but it's proved itself too good for that so it lives on. </p>

Yes, there are different percussion effects on the E series than on some other Hammonds. However, like many others, I suffer from "B-3 Envy" and would like to emulate that tone on my E-133. I can get the Marimba and Banjo percussion on my E-100. Maybe I can get a little different sound from my E-133?
    </p>

The E-133 serves as my "training wheels" - Any repairs or mods I do on it will hopefully provide some insight and experience when I need to do repairs to my other Hammonds. Using your "classic car" analogy, I'm learning how to do basic repairs on a well-used car before I attempt restoration of a Bentley. </p>

Thanks again for your response!</p>

Rick</p>

Leave a comment:

• bluetantra
    replied

Honestly, I think you should enjoy playing it and learning more about how it works. There are more percussion effects available to you on the E-series than on a B. The E-100s and E-300s have more of a theatrical voicing, where the E-200 has some different percussion tabs and a locking top for church or public places. Like a classic car, your Hammond's value is going to lie in its originality as well as its condition. Just my two cents.</P>

John</P>

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo
    started a topic E-100/E-133 Percussion Questions

E-100/E-133 Percussion Questions

<font face="Arial">Greetings!</font>

<font face="Arial">I've got an E-133, an E-100 and an M-3 in my humble
    collection. I've been able to do minor repairs and maintenance thanks
    </font>
    <font face="Arial">to searching through the archives on the forum. A big THANK YOU to all
    who have contributed their time and knowledge here! </font><font face="Arial">I had some
    minor issues on my E-133 but it's now back in service. As long as I
    had the top and back off of the E, I decided to </font>
    <font face="Arial">look around to find out
    how to do the percussion mod as described in Robert Hayton's directions: </font>

<pre>"...find the percussion transformer and feed to its windings the 2nd harmonics and into </pre>

<pre>another winding the third harmonic and Voila!... B-3 percussion.... or any old combination </pre>

<pre>you may choose, e.g. 3rd and second together, or 2nd and 5th together."</pre>

<font face="Arial">Sounds simple enough. But, I can't figure out
    where the percussion transformer is or where the wires from the
    harmonics are located. Sorry... I'm a former drummer so I'm still a little perplexed by all the innards of Hammonds. [:$]

</font></p>

<font face="Arial">Are the percussion transformer and harmonic wires
    visible with the top and back off the organ? Am I not recognizing them? Or do I need to remove the
    felt strip? Or remove the manuals? It would be helpful to have someone point me in the right direction. </font>
    </p>

<font face="Arial">If it's time intensive, I might opt to put the
    E-133 back together so I can get back to playing it for now and attempt the mod at a future date. </font></p>

<font face="Arial">Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks in advance for your help!</font></p>
Working...
X