Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bottom rotor not spinning up all the way??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bottom rotor not spinning up all the way??

hey guys....yes i checked the belt, its almost brand new. i dont really know what else it could be...

Re: bottom rotor not spinning up all the way??

Did you adjust the belt tension?</p>

If so:</p>

i) observe the fast motor without the belt. Does it speed up as it should? Is the pully loose?</p>

ii) with no tension on the drum, does it spin freely as well as securely on its axle? </p>

On top of checking these it wouldn't hurt to clean the 2 pullys with alcohol.</p>

</p>

I'd
    be interested to hear other suggestions - as I am having a similar
    problem. The belt tensioner (moving the motor back and forth) is very
    sensitive. As I move away from the ideal placement it becomes a trade
    off of top speed vs acceleration. Right now I achieve a good speed but
    it takes it about 6 or 7 seconds to get there. I assumed it would be a
    shorter interval (5 seconds tops).</p>

Also, what do you mean by brand new? does it LOOK brand new with the possibility that its 40 years old?</p>

Comment

thanks for the quick reply man...i'll be checking these things shortly...as for the brand new thing? it is less than a year old.

Comment

what type of leslie, btw?</p>

</p>

never mind...147. got
        it. I found the belt tension easier to get right with the horn motors
        unplugged. Its easier to hear the rotor speed that way (especially if
        your drum has a scrim cloth)

</p>

Comment

yeah i just checked all of that stuff and she's running mint now. thanks.

Comment

Bump. Lol, I searched on google "Leslie not spinning up all the way", then noticed the first link was from here. So I clicked it, then logged in. Then I noticed that I posted this three years ago about the 147. Lol, now I'm having issues with the 125. It seems like the motor is not actually turning fast enough to spin up the rotor completely...does it just need a good cleaning?

Comment

Is 6 or 7 seconds actually considered too long for the low rotor to accelerate?? My 330 seems to take about that long and I hadn't thought it was unusual. Also, it's well within the programmable range of my 2101mk2.. Not trolling, just curious.

Randy
              Hammond SK-1 and A-100
              PR-40 Tone Cab
              Hammond Sounder III and J-412 (cheesy transistor madness)
              Leslie 122 and 330
              Yamaha C5 (big pianuh)
              Yamaha CP50
              '79 Rhodes Mark II
              Wurlitzer EP200a

www.spaintheband.com

Comment

Nah man, 6 or 7 seconds is almost perfect.

Comment

Haha nice find.

Absolutely remove the motors and give 'em a good clean!!

I remove the motors, clean them down with a rag, remove debris and dust build-up near the drive shafts.
                  Then I drop oil into the pad around the shaft at the top of the fast motor, as well as a drop or two onto the shaft itself near the bushing. Ensuring the slow motor shaft is disengaged from the flywheel, I check to see how smoothly the fast motor spins by hand, and I also plug it in if necessary. If I have good aim (or a long needle/syringe) I like to put one drop of oil between the fast motor and flywheel to hit the lower bushing - usually this is messy and hit and miss but I like to avoid separating the motors if possible - 90% of the time I get great results without needing to separate the stacks.

I then place oil on both of the slow motor bushings as well as a few drops into the oil holes. Ensure that the spring is still doing its job by 1) cushioning the armature as it drops when disengaging in the upper stack, or 2) moving the armature up and out of the way on the lower stack if you have an inverted lower motor stack (I think the 125 motor hangs below near the amp so this would be more like an upper stack in a traditional leslie). Also observe the flywheel rubber o-ring and replace it if it has a noticeable flat spot (~1/8" flat surface). Then make sure the slow motor is adjusted properly so that it grips the wheel enough to turn the pulley but is loose enough to fall out of the way when the fast motor is activated. When oiling, ensure that you don't get oil on the slow shaft near the flywheel.

Also, like I said before, cleaning the pulleys is also helpful.

Further reading:

http://www.bentonelectronics.com/lesliemotor.html

*I avoid motor disassembly unless absolutely necessary...don't tinker just for the fun. "if it ain't broke..."

Comment

Working...
                  X