This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New M-111 owner, newbie question

Hi, I just bought an M-111, and it sounds great, with the exception of the fact that the lower manual doesn't work.  If you pull out any/all of the drawbars, some very scratchy sound will fade in and out, but no one drawbar will work for more than a few keys in a row, and any sound there is is extremely quiet.  The wires on the backs of the drawbars all seem to be connected fine, so I think it might be a problem with the key contacts.  Has anybody ever heard of this problem before?</P>

</P>

thanks,</P>

Bill</P>

Re: New M-111 owner, newbie question

Hi, Bill-</P>

Does the lower manual play with any of the preset tabs (Flute, Diapason, Ensemble) depressed rather than the "Drawbars" tab? Also, does moving the "Vibrato Cancel" tab for the lower manual make a difference? Often, the years of dust can make these switches give problems. By operating the switches repeatedly but gently, this will clear up in many cases. A squirt of electrical contact cleaner might be necessary as well. To really get at the switches, you'll have to remove the top from the organ, but they're very accessible from there. This would also be a good time to oil the generator (Hammond oil only!), especially if you don't know when it was last done.</P>

Key contact problems will often clear up with exercise or repeatedlystriking a particularly scratchy key. Failing that, Hammond did provide a busbar shifter to move a "clean" area under the switch contacts. Searching the archives of this site will provide a great deal of information for you as will the HammondWiki site (Google for it). Post back if you run into trouble and someone here will try to help. There's also a great deal of support on the Yahoo! group "Hammond Zone"; you might check that out if you haven't already. Hope some of this helps!</P>

Regards,</P>

John</P>

Comment

I dont know if its just me, but I feel that moving the busbar
      shifters is a measure of last resort (I have had bad luck with it).

</p>

Check everything John mentions above...if, once contact cleaner
      has been applied to the switches (they are really tough to clean
      because the parts in side don't rub together as the drawbar contacts do
      - the cleaner doesn't really scrub, instead it just sits there) and
      drawbars (with the drawbars all the way in, hold down the metal springy
      thing and spray inside, open and close the drawbar numerous times), and
      you have some keys that function but not all, (you can at a minimum
      hold one note down and get a clear, loud tone on every drawbar, but
      other tones are scratchy, low volume, not working), then I would move
      the shifter. </p>

I found that on my old L100, when for no
      real reason i decided to move the shifter, every note became scratchy
      and intermitent and I couldn't find a position that made the whole
      keyboard work...I dont know why, or if it is even a normal occurence. It required a complete disassembly and busbar cleaning.

</p>

Comment

Hi,

</p>

I have the exact same model and when I bought it, the upper manual was working as you described. I found out that the previous owner never played on the top keyboard and the contacts were dirty after 40 years of 0 use.</p>

I tried the quick legato playing, after that the busbar shifters and nothing worked. I had to call a Hammond tech that dissasembled the 2 keyboards, took them to his shop, did the busbar cleaning and after that, never ever had a problem. But calling a tech is a lot of $$$ given the fact that the busbar job is a PAIN in the but, you have no idea. (at least to me)
        </p>

You can hear my M111 with a Leslie here</p>http://www.myspace.com/bubusdeolivos

Good luck.
        </p>

Comment

Thanks so much guys.  I adjusted the busbar, and now while it's still a little scratchy, is very playable.</P>

</P>

thanks,</P>

Bill</P>

Comment

Bill,</P>

Another thing that will help the tone and volume of your newly obtained Hammond is the clean the tube sockets and pins. Caig DeOxit D5 works well for this. It brought my M101 back to full volume. It too hadn't been played in years. In your other thread I posted a link to Hammond Wiki. There is a posting there about adjusting the trim capacitor in the swell box to maximize your gain and add a little growl to the amp. This is a recomended adjustment and something I do to every Hammond I get my hands on. Since you mentioned an effects loop I thought a little growl would be in order!</P>

Best,</P>

H101</P>

Comment

Working...
            X