Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New X-66 Owner: Have Some Questions!

Hello Everyone,
    As most of you probably know, I just recently committed to buying an X-66. Thanks all the advice on that thread. I thought it would be best to start a new thread to focus on some questions I have about some issues it has. In no particular order, here goes:

1. When turning on the organ on, the key is missing, however the switch is in the ON or unlocked position, so I can just use the green power button to turn the organ on and off, which is great. However, oddly, I've noticed the Lights button is currently functioning as a power switch, turning the whole organ on and off, just like the power switch. However, the lights never turn off, whether the organ is turned off with the lights button, or the power button. As soon as the organ is plugged in, the lights go on. This sure doesn't seem right to me. It seems like the power button should control the main organ, and the lights should control the lights, correct? Perhaps a wiring issue? I wonder if this is something related to the wiring warning on the NSHOS organ site? That will be the first thing I check.

2. In the pedal, low F# sounds all the time on all drawbars. Working the pedal key had no effect. When working the pedal with no stops on, I could hear the familiar clicking of the contact, so it sounds like it's moving, but I'll have to check it out further. I'm a little scared because I've heard of issues with hanging notes that weren't related to the contacts (one of the X-66s for sale on the classifieds has this issue). If it's not a contact, any thoughts what it could be?

3. Several tab stops are either dead or very staticky. First I wanted to start by cleaning switches, checking that they're engaging properly, etc. Unfortunately several are bent as well, and the xylo tab won't stay down. I'm told some kids fooled with it at one point. I couldn't get any of the percussion stops or the Rhythm II machine to work either.

I'm told that before I came, the organ hadn't been used at all since 2008. That's a long time for a complex machine like this to sit. I'm actually amazed it came up as well as it did.

That's all I can think of right now. The organ should be getting delivered around early October, so I should know more by then. This is certainly enough to work on for now.

As usual, any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jon

#1 In your other thread you had a photo of the outlet panel which had two female AC outlets. The one nearest the tone cabinet sockets should have been a male connector. Someone replaced it with a female or broke off the blades. That is the one for AC power. If the owner put power into the far right outlet to demo the organ then the pedal lights would be on all the time and the lights switch would act as a power switch.

#2 If it's not the pedal switch then I would suspect a shorted sustain capacitor (10 mfd, 25 volt) or diode in that pedal's keyer.
    Test the pedals with the pedal clavier removed.

td
    Last edited by tucsondave; 09-05-2021, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Dave,
      Thanks so much for the help! Indeed, we did use the right AC outlet, so it sounds like that's the issue. Sounds like the best course of action would be to replace that with the proper male plug.

As far as the pedals, I will have to check that out when it gets delivered.

Thanks for giving me something to go on.

-Jon

Comment

Originally posted by tucsondave View Post
        #1 In your other thread you had a photo of the outlet panel which had two female AC outlets. The one nearest the tone cabinet sockets should have been a male connector. Someone replaced it with a female or broke off the blades. That is the one for AC power. If the owner put power into the far right outlet to demo the organ then the pedal lights would be on all the time and the lights switch would act as a power switch.
        And as such, a male to male AC power cable is required to supply power to that socket. Yikes! Please correct that and trash that male/male cable ASAP.

Comment

• gtc
          gtc commented
          Editing a comment
          "a male to male AC power cable" ... aka suicide cable.

Another question I had concerns the tone generator and vibrato scanners. How would you recommend oiling them? Is it similar to oiling a B3/C3?

Thanks,
        Jon

Comment

There should be oiling instructions on the animator assembly which has three oil cups. There will also be instructions on the tone generator in the base of the organ,
          td

Comment

Hi Dave,
            Thanks again for all the helpful info. I'm taking this all down. I'm trying to order all the stuff I need, so when the organ arrives, I'll be ready to go. I have a digital copy of the service manual, and found what kind of caps are used in the pedal keyers: 10 uf - 25V. However, for the diodes, it just says "Silicon Diode". While I've done plenty of caps and resistors, I've never replaced diodes. I know what one looks like, but as far as specs, I don't know what to order as a replacement.

I have some new 2 and 3 conductor cable, some heat shrink, and I'm ordering a male IEC 3-conductor connector so I can use standard cables from now on. I think that will make things easier and safer. The last thing I need to know to get this order out is what kind of diodes to order.
            -Jon

Comment

The diode, Hammond part number 001-026010 crosses to a 1N4148.
              td

Comment

Hello again,
                Thanks for all the additional info. Just wanted to follow up. I've got everything ordered, including the diodes. I also ordered an original paper service manual. It wasn't cheap, but it's worth it to me to have the real thing with the full size fold out diagrams.

The organ is getting picked up from the church on Monday, and I should be receiving it around early October.

If I can get the organ working well, I'd like to do a few YouTube videos about it. There don't seem to be many videos giving a nice tour of the organ, and really explaining how everything works, sounds, etc. I'm thinking there may be people interested in seeing such a rare organ.

-Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Vercus View Post
                  Hello again,
                  Thanks for all the additional info. Just wanted to follow up. I've got everything ordered, including the diodes. I also ordered an original paper service manual. It wasn't cheap, but it's worth it to me to have the real thing with the full size fold out diagrams.
                  Out of interest, where did you source the manual?

If I can get the organ working well, I'd like to do a few YouTube videos about it. There don't seem to be many videos giving a nice tour of the organ, and really explaining how everything works, sounds, etc. I'm thinking there may be people interested in seeing such a rare organ.
                  Very much so. I look forward to that.

-------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                  Leslie 147 #F7453.
                  Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Hi GTC,
                    I actually found the manual on e-bay! It was from the same seller that had a manual for an Allen Carousel that I used to have. The seller's name is mtttt-56 (that's four t's).

I've been considering doing kind of a VLOG format for the X-66 videos, chronicling my progress with it: How it arrived, what I did to fix it, then finally how it works / sounds once it's up and going. When I do, I'll be sure to post a link here, if that's allowed.

-Jon

Comment

Hi GTC,
                      I actually found the manual on e-bay! It was from the same seller that had a manual for an Allen Carousel that I used to have. The seller's name is mtttt-56 (that's four t's).
                      Thanks.

I've been considering doing kind of a VLOG format for the X-66 videos, chronicling my progress with it: How it arrived, what I did to fix it, then finally how it works / sounds once it's up and going. When I do, I'll be sure to post a link here, if that's allowed.
                      Why not here?

https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...ctronic-organs
                      -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                      Leslie 147 #F7453.
                      Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

The organ was picked up by the movers yesterday. I met them at the church just to observe, and everything went super smooth. I couldn't believe it when two guys were able to dead lift the console and a third slid a dolly underneath. It's amazing what those folks can do.

When I removed the pedalboard, I noticed a piece of paper was stuck on the end of one of the keys. Perhaps that's my sticking note issue! Guess I'll find out when it arrives on the 30th. I'm very excited. Just have to prepare the area for my new arrival.

-Jon

Comment

The organ was picked up by the movers yesterday. I met them at the church just to observe, and everything went super smooth. I couldn't believe it when two guys were able to dead lift the console and a third slid a dolly underneath. It's amazing what those folks can do.
                          It pays to use pros.

-------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                          Leslie 147 #F7453.
                          Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

-Jon
                            They didn't use a set of piano/organ dollies, commonly referred to as Roll or Kari hand trucks? An X-66 is plenty strong to be handled with a single dolly, many other instruments not so much.
                            I guess the owner doesn't mind paying higher than average workman comp claims for his employees.

Current inventory. Yamaha HX-1,Hammond Colonnade w/ Leslie 720, Kawai XR9000, (2) Technics FN3, Tyros 5, PSR 910.
                            Is that enough?

Comment

Working...
                            X