Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much oil to put in TWG after 20+ years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much oil to put in TWG after 20+ years?

The 1959 M3 I picked up a week ago sat idle in a living room for over 20 years. It started ok, but was very noisy, and clearly needed oil. Instructions on the back say to fill the funnels 3/4 full once per year. I've already put in at least one "funnel" worth in the two that supply the TWG, and just soaked the sponge in the scanner oil "boat." The noise has come down, but still seems more noisy than it should from the TWG, so my question is how much should be added to the TWG in total on a Hammand that's not been oiled in over 20 years? I don't think I need to add any more to the scanner.
    1956 Hammond B3, 1959 Hammond M3, Roland D-50

If you keep adding oil it will eventually spill out. With situations like yours, it's a case of allowing enough time for the oil to wick its way into the bearings. Sometimes it takes one or two weeks for that to occur.
    -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
    Leslie 147 #F7453.
    Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
      If you keep adding oil it will eventually spill out. With situations like yours, it's a case of allowing enough time for the oil to wick its way into the bearings. Sometimes it takes one or two weeks for that to occur.
      Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. I need to give it time. Just wondering when a TWG is pretty much dry, do you need to add more oil than normal to get things back where everything is oiled properly? Or is the recommended "3/4 full" for each funnel enough? At this point, I have not observed any excess oil dripping out of the TWG.

Comment

In addition to the factory recommendation I put a squirt of oil in either end of the trough that runs through the generator and a drop of oil on the shaft of the start motor on a really dry generator. The scanner cup is the one that I see over filled quite often. That one just needs the felt moistened.
        Hammond B3, XB3, XB5, X5, Super B, M102 Factory Split x2,
        Leslie145 x3, 251,
        Farfisa Compact Duo, Compact Deluxe,
        Lowrey Heritage DSA,
        drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. I need to give it time. Just wondering when a TWG is pretty much dry, do you need to add more oil than normal to get things back where everything is oiled properly? Or is the recommended "3/4 full" for each funnel enough? At this point, I have not observed any excess oil dripping out of the TWG.
          The bearings can only accommodate so much oil, so continuous topping up of the funnels will eventually over do it. It's not as though you have a seized-up situation where resorting to WD-40 "injections" initially is sometimes recommended.
          -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
          Leslie 147 #F7453.
          Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

You're using genuine Hammond oil, I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesOrgan View Post
              You're using genuine Hammond oil, I hope!
              Of course! The organ came with two almost-full bottles of Hammond oil, plus I have one I bought a few years ago new.

My thought on oiling is if the strings to all the tone wheels were completely dry, extra oil would be needed. The "3/4 funnel" full every year recommendation assumes the organ is oiled every year, so noting goes completely dry. If the strings and bearings are dry, extra oil will be needed to soak the strings and get oil to dry bearings.

Still no drips of oil from the generator, so I don't think I've "over oiled" it.

Comment

Both of my free Craigslist Hammonds came with bottle (T412) and tube (R124) of oil still inside the cabinet. I had already purchased a new bottle of Hammond oil online, so I have been using that instead. I have heard it recommended not to use "old" Hammond oil. How old is too old?
              Current: CV chop w/ Leslie 900; Hammond R-124; Hammond T-412; Steinway A (1905); Zuckermann Italian Virginal harpsichord.
              Past: Hammond M-2 w/ Leslie 145; Korg SS-1; Arp Quadra; Arp Axxe; Paia "strings & things"; Paia gnome; Paia 2720 synthesizer; Rhodes 73; 1875 Viennese grand;

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Otto View Post
                Both of my free Craigslist Hammonds came with bottle (T412) and tube (R124) of oil still inside the cabinet. I had already purchased a new bottle of Hammond oil online, so I have been using that instead. I have heard it recommended not to use "old" Hammond oil. How old is too old?
                Well, given the volume of oil in one of those bottles, if you are oiling one Hammond organ once per year, that bottle is going to last a couple of decades by my estimate!

Comment

So... It's okay to use the oil from the 60s and 70s?
                  Current: CV chop w/ Leslie 900; Hammond R-124; Hammond T-412; Steinway A (1905); Zuckermann Italian Virginal harpsichord.
                  Past: Hammond M-2 w/ Leslie 145; Korg SS-1; Arp Quadra; Arp Axxe; Paia "strings & things"; Paia gnome; Paia 2720 synthesizer; Rhodes 73; 1875 Viennese grand;

Comment

If I had a bottle that old, I'd squirt some out and look at it compared to newer oil. In particular, I'd be looking for viscosity and color. If it's comparable to newer oil (last 10 years) I would not have a problem using the older oil.

Comment

Personally, I'd buy fresh oil.
                      -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                      Leslie 147 #F7453.
                      Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

If that beauty had been sitting for 20-odd years without fresh oil, another week or so waiting for the oil to soak through will not matter either way. Those are nice models and worth having. Enjoy!
                        Nico
                        "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Working...
                        X