This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond musical "Genres"

Ok, I LOVE the Hammond sound. And I want to find more music out there that uses Hammonds as a lead instrument.</P>

The problem is finding the specific stuff I like. I can't seem to come up with a genre to search under.</P>

I like stuff that's 1960s instrumental. With a kinda jazzy blues influence.</P>

Examples are</P>

Most stuff Booker T and the MGs</P>

Certain "Hard Surf" music.</P>

Peter Gunn theme.</P>

The song Batucada by Walter Wanderly</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

I've stumbled across certain albums that capture what I'm looking for pretty well.</P>

I own this one: Sounds from the Verve HiFi</P>

It makes mention of a term "Groovy Organ Jazz" which I kinda like.</P>

I'll probably purchase this: "<SPAN id=btAsinTitle>Ultra-Lounge, Vol. 11: Organs in Orbit" but its a bit on the schmaltz side.</SPAN></P>

<SPAN></SPAN></P>

<SPAN>So, can anyone help me nail this down, either by suggesting similar artists or a specific genre name that I can search for?</SPAN></P>

<SPAN></SPAN></P>

<SPAN></SPAN></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Re: Hammond musical &quot;Genres&quot;

Hey, That Ultra Lounge album is great! Don't knock it.

Comment

Hee hee - fair enough.</P>

I actually spent a lot of time re-listenung to a bunch of late 50s and early 60s jazz last night, and if I ignore some of the soloing (sax) that goes a little too far sometimes, it generally is really great stuff.</P>

Comment

One of my favorite obscure organ genres is bossa nova. To get started, do a search on (Antonio Carlos) Jobim. Check it out, you might really dig it. You generally find that the song were popularly recorded with guitar or piano so organ versions are less common, but they are out there, and they sound great! The rich harmonic structure of bossa agrees quite nicely with the broad, warm sound of a Hammond organ.</p>

</p>

-Joe
        </p>

Comment

This is a little different but worth taking a look at. Check out "Niacin" they have a DVD out called "Blood, Sweat &amp; Beers" or "LIve from Tokyo" it's the same recording.</P>

John Novello plays Hammond, Billy Sheehan on bass and Dennis Chambers on drums. This is kind of a fusion recording, very powerful and Novello is fantastic. </P>

H101</P>

Comment

Evenfor the 1940's, listen to Damasio Perez Prado's cha-chas. "Patricia" is a great dialogue between Hammond and a section of trumpets...

Comment

Listen to Czeslaw Niemen "Mourner's Rhapsody". I can upload it somewhere if you want. Great hammond parts out there and of course outstanding vocal.
              </p>

If you like distored Hammond sound check out the german krautrock band "Frumpy", especially "How the gypsy was born" and their cover of Brian Auger and The Trinity "Indian Rope Man".</p>

Jon</p>

Comment

Indeed, I've always been a big bossa fan.</P>

Thanks guys for the other suggestions too - will check out!</P>

Comment

One "genre" that seems to rely heavily on Hammond organs is Progressive rock.</P>

Although the term Prog isn't really specific to any one style, it's usually synonymwithlate 60s-70s keyboard and organ-driven (Hammond) music.</P>

Comment

Double thumbs up for Niacin....Billy is a personal friend of mine, but they are still a great band! Also check out Barbara Dennerlien...youtube...she's hot s***!!
                    1963 C-3 147 Leslie
                    1972 X-77GT 2 - 77P Leslie
                    Kurzweil K 2000

Comment

Maybe this is so obvious that it would be considered a given, but "whiter shade of pale" is a classic example of using a Leslie on chorale and moving to tremelo for expression.</P>

Though "House of the Rising Son" was originally done on a Farfisa (I think), I have heard it covered on a Hammond w/Leslie, and improved thereby. "Light My Fire" is another that is served well by the same upgrade - classics though the originals are.</P>

Lee</P>

Comment

Working...
                      X