This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help identifying an organ

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I just posted it here. Anyway, someone in my area is offering a free organ. He describes it as a Hammond in the ad, but it doesn't look like any Hammond I've ever seen. Notice that the top manual is split in half, and there are no black keys on the side that control settings. Anyway, here's the organ:</p>

</p>

</p>

Thanks so much for your help.
    </p>

Re: I need help identifying an organ

Looks like another LSI... but is this a Hammond? /action sniffs... smells like Lowrey....

Comment

I believe this is a Hammond Grandee. Yes, it's LSI.

Comment

The top manual isn't split, it's missing a key. Also, many of Hammond's later models had preset tabs instead of the inverse preset keys.</p>

</p>

-Joe
        </p>

Comment

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Yes posted in right section.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
          <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
          <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Organ is a Hammond LSI, subject to the usual inter-board connector problems often mentioned here.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
          <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
          <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">This one does not appear to have the number of tabs as does the Grandee, although some may be broken. Can’t see an appegiator as well between the manuals. My guess is a Hammond Monarch.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
          <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">No preset tabs on LSI consoles. Push buttons left and right of drawbars are presets.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
          <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Only the top LSI models had preset keys.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
          Have: Hammond 340212 Elegante
          Had: Hammond T-311 and 333114 Colonnade
          Never will have: Laurens Hammond 350 w/ 2 - 751 Leslies

Comment

Yes, a later Monarch with the AutoVari 64.</P>

If it's broken on the outside, doesn't bode well for the insides? Give it a wide berth and go for something that will work.</P>

Andy</P>
            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
            Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

looks a lot like my r-100, but i can't be sure as i'm not near it

Comment

If it's free as the OP said, it'd definitely be worth a shot in my opinion. It may very well turn out to be junk as a whole, but there are good parts to be salvaged. The broken key shouldn't be that difficult to fix; at least it's on the upper manual.

Comment

This organ is just the big brother to your "crappy 123 Hammond." If you want parts, OK. If you want a nice organ, find something better. </P>

James</P>
                  Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
                  Baldwin Spinet 58R
                  Lowrey Spinet SCL
                  Wurlitzer 4100A
                  Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
                  Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
                  Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

it has drawbars.... so it's not quite like a 123..... as long as the tone generator produces sine waves, i personally would take it. i still think it's a tonewheel model though

Comment

No, it is NOT a tonewheel organ. I have seen several in the shop, and they are totally LSI. The Tonebars as they are called on these models do produce the flute or sine wave tones as its older counterparts. I can tell you for sure they can be a mess to repair when they are in a bad shape. Good luck with your decision on obtaining this organ. These organs are nothing extra I can sure tell you. If you want a good Hammond organ go with a tonewheel model in good shape.</P>
                      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

James</P>
                      Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
                      Baldwin Spinet 58R
                      Lowrey Spinet SCL
                      Wurlitzer 4100A
                      Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
                      Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
                      Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

If it's free, you only stand to lose the carriage costs and your time. But don't spend any money on it. Even if you got another key and fixed it up fully, the value would still be probably less than the carriage costs.</p>

TT is right when he says they can be a pain to repair, and this poor old Monarch looks like trouble from the start.</p>

I repeat my usual advice - the best thing to do is to WALK AWAY!</p>

Andy</p>

</p>
                        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Gentlemen,</P>

I think you have confused poor old "beaverteeth" enough.</P>

Is ita Hammond? No, it smells like a Lowrey. I think it's a Grandee. But it could be a Monarch.I can't see an arpeggiator, soI'm none the wiser.It's an Automatic Variation on a Monarch. It looks like my R100 but I can't see. It's got drawbars so it must be a tonewheel. No, silly, they call them tonebars now. It's a big crappy Hammond that has a little brother. It's not free if you have to move it. </P>

I would love to be a fly on the wall when you blokes are with your long suffering partners in the deli dept. of your local supermarket trying to make a decision whether or not to buy the Fat Albert Bratwurst sausages that are on special, as they may or may not aggravate your notorious pre-existing flatulence condition.</P>

SP</P>
                          Live every day as though it were your last.
                          One day, you'll be right.

Comment

OK, Sarah, humorous as always, but if we've confused him, let me bring total enlightenment, entirely free of charge.
                            </p>

1) It's a 163xx Monarch from around 1977, probably a 16322.
                            </p>

2) It doesn't have enough tabs for a Grandee, and there's no arpeggiator.
                            </p>

3) No tonewheels, it's 1st generation LSI, and they're usually the worst..</p>

4) Pile of junk? In this condition - more than likely.
                            </p>

QED
                            </p>

See, if you'd just asked me first.......[:)]</p>

[Now ducks to avoid inevitable incoming!]</p>

PS, If Hammond decided to call drawbars 'tonebars' on their own organs, how come they're now getting ar**y about other organs using the term drawbars? We've now got H-Bars on Rolands and Flutebars on Orlas.
                            </p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

Working...
                            X