another reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another reverb

Here's another unit I need identified. Hammond B-300 maybe?

The attachment didn't make it. Don't know why. I'll try again. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1219.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	798134

Comment

And for your entertainment-the original Hammond spring reverb. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1216.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	798136

Comment

Speaking of "original" Hammond spring reverb, I'm planning to pick up an RT-2 with an HR-40 cabinet in very nice condition except that the reverb doesn't seem to work. I have read that even Hammond suggested replacing the reverb unit and adding a new reverb amp on that model. Has anyone repaired one? Is it worth saving any of those parts?
        Current: Hammond RT-2 w/HR-40 & Leslie 900; Hammond R-124 & T-412; Steinway A (1905); Zuckermann Ita. virginal harpsichord.
        Past: Chopped CV; Hammond M-2 w/ Leslie 145; Korg SS-1; Arp Quadra; Arp Axxe; Paia "strings & things"; Paia gnome; Paia 2720 synthesizer; Rhodes 73; 1875 Viennese grand;

Comment

That reverb unit has a very large dynamic driver and a crystal pickup. Most crystal elements of this age would be no good. I don't know if I will try to make this one work, just for grins. Found it in an old radio station.

Comment

With regard to the oil oil-tube reverb units, I can't be sure I've ever heard one working exactly as it did when new, but Sal Azzarelli described them as sounding like "playing organ inside a concrete culvert." I've never heard anyone rave about how great they sound even when working properly.

Some people have managed to retrofit new piezoelectric pickups into things like the small spring reverbs found in Farfisa Compact organs. (Crystal pickups are piezoelectric. That's how they work.) I guess you could figure out a way to do it with the oil-tube reverb.

Around the time Hammond came up with the necklace and modern spring tank reverbs, crystal pickups were becoming largely obsolete, and it's obvious that Hammond didn't want to try to keep supporting the oil tube units, so they proposed using a modern spring tank with an extra gain stage. The one advantage of crystal pickups is that they have a high output voltage.

In HR-40s, there can be multiple problems with the reverb. For some reason, the reverb drive transformers have a tendency to have the windings open up from wire corrosion.

And then the HR-40s don't sound that great, especially in smaller spaces. They sound a lot better in a large church sanctuary, which I guess was part of the design, but even there, they are weak on the high end, apparently on purpose. You have 2 x 12" speakers handling the treble, and they are firing through thick grille cloth. You could always stick a horn driver in there with a minimal crossover.
            I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

I like your idea about changing out the treble side of the HR-40. I heard a HR-40 with the 2 twelves unhooked and, in their stead,2 4inch high frequency drivers. The sound was better than any stock cab, very full on the high end.

Comment

Originally posted by David Anderson View Post
                You could always stick a horn driver in there with a minimal crossover.
                I did this at David's suggestion in my son's custom M3. I added a PRV driver with an 800 Hz high-pass filter and and L-pad to set the level. My son keeps the L-pad at 10 pretty much at all times.

Really sounds great, especially with a Neo Vent plumbed in through the Trek ELB-1A.

Comment

Originally posted by kzinkmusic View Post
                  I like your idea about changing out the treble side of the HR-40. I heard a HR-40 with the 2 twelves unhooked and, in their stead,2 4inch high frequency drivers. The sound was better than any stock cab, very full on the high end.
                  I think you can keep the twelves and just add in a horn driver to extend the HF response. The "treble" channel in Hammond cabinets covers 200Hz - 6kHz. 12" speakers like the ones you'd find in an HR-40 are going to peak between 2kHz and 4kHz, but will often fall off sharply above that. Only a few twelves have good output up to 6kHz.

It's only a 20 Watt amp, so you have lots of options.
                  I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

• Austin Otto
                    Austin Otto commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just tried out my new HR-40 at home and agree with the general consensus about the dull tone. I noticed, however, that the spring connected to the crystal makes a sound when tapped that is affected by the reverb volume control. Since I have no reverb from the cabinet otherwise, does this mean the crystal is good, but rather, I have an issue with the driver? I couldn't discern any vibration from the driver. You mentioned the transformer for the driver being a common issue.
                    Speaking of options (maybe this should be a new posting...) I definitely want to pump up the high end in this cabinet. I have the rotosonic speakers in the drum I got from you and I also have (2) 16 ohm 6x9 speakers somebody gutted from a Leslie 700. I also have the reverb system in my Leslie 900 (reverb unit and 6x9 speakers) that I could repurpose in the HR-40 if that made any sense at all.
                    When you say "just add in a horn driver" that probably means more than just "wiring in" another speaker or two I suspect?

• Austin Otto
                    Austin Otto commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Update, actually the reverb is working on my Hr-40! Didn't realize it has a locking mechanism that just needed unlocking! Not too bad sounding. I still need to ramp up the high end however.

So, any answer to the original question, the spring reverb on the lawn chair with the circuit board on top and the lever on the side to damp the springs? Maybe a diagram for the board.

Comment

Hammond R-series organ reverb unit | eBay Looks very similar to this one

Comment

The serial numbers don't match my R-124,.
                      Current: Hammond RT-2 w/HR-40 & Leslie 900; Hammond R-124 & T-412; Steinway A (1905); Zuckermann Ita. virginal harpsichord.
                      Past: Chopped CV; Hammond M-2 w/ Leslie 145; Korg SS-1; Arp Quadra; Arp Axxe; Paia "strings & things"; Paia gnome; Paia 2720 synthesizer; Rhodes 73; 1875 Viennese grand;

Comment

Kzinkmusic : That definitely the unit. The coils in the tank are ok. I'll just reverse engineer the board to test it. Like to use the whole assembly as is if possible.

Comment

Working...
                        X