This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L-103 TWG Desoldering Frustrations

Boy I'd like to pistol whip the mechanical engineer who came up with these flimsy spade terminals on early Hammond tonewheel generators. Don't get me wrong, it's no cliche'that Mr. Hammond's generator and organs in general aremechanical works of art, but the durabilityand quality of some of these components is very questionable *I won't even get into thefoamunderthe manuals which I've only yet read about*. In order for me to effectively clean and lubricate the L-103's tonewheel shafts, bushings, and bearings, I'm going to have to completely disconnect it from the wiring harness and flip it over on a special bench mount thatSteve Leigh of Prokeys designed *God bless Mr. Leigh... he's the best*. Has anyone ever had this frustrating problem uninstalling a TWG?!? It doesn't seem to be my soldering iron so much as the cheap desoldering pump I'm using, a Radio Shack syringe model with a pneumatic plunger and push button action. The recoil causes the tip to bounce back into the terminal with enough force to break off 5 of the 23 terminals I've desoldered wires fromthus far. What gets me the most is the fact that these terminal spades are tapered where they meet the portion that's permanantely stud-tacked to the PCB terminal strip, making simple modular replacment impossible.</P>

So, I'm left witha very unaesthetically pleasing mess. I suppose I could break off the bottom spadesof every terminal and use the top spade. But I've come up with an interesting idea. Some of the geophone logging toolsmy Dad used to use in his work with ConocoPhillip's research and exploration division used a 96-pin connector. I'm going to research this a little more and see about the possibility of fabricating a connector that will allow me to easily connect/disconnect the TWG for any future maintainence.</P>

</P>

Re: L-103 TWG Desoldering Frustrations

that sounds like a damn good idea to me. this once again inspires my interest to control the twg while it's outside of the console.

Comment

I just swapped a generator out of a B-3. No desoldering used. A hot iron and careful removal of the wire. I told you before you don't have to remove the generator. The L-series is one of the few models that has the bottom of the generator exposed. I have loosened more stuck generators in 30 years than I can count. Never had to take one out. As I suggested, you could turn the whole organ over and oil it easily from the bottom.</p>

George
      </p>

Comment

OF course you realize that once you get the TWG out, fix it, add a connector to both ends of the wiring harness, and put it back in, you'll NEVER again need to take it out.You will have spent all that time extending the wires so they narrow down to one spot, cause all sorts of cross-talk, and drive you nuts as you figure out which wires are connected incorrectly.</P>

Nice idea, but I think the reliability of the TWG and soldered connections pretty much says it all. Still, it's fun doing all that work and cursing the cheap terminal strips.</P>

Bob M.</P>

Comment

Working...
        X