This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• percussion

hello everyone, i'm new around here and to organ playing.  i have a M 102 with a leslie 130 that i have been using to learn and practice with.</p>

can somebody explain what percussion does on a hammond organ?  my m-102 does not have those switches.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Re: percussion

Hi</p>

Percussion can mean many things!</p>

You DO have one type of percussion on your M102. The tabs are 2nd Harmonic and 3rd Harmonic. These add a percussive 'plink' at 4' and 2 2/3' pitch respectively, on the upper manual only. IIRC, the other two tabs in that group control the volume of the plink and how fast it decays. You need the Drawbars tab for the upper manual pushed down to hear this. On your M, the percussion is 'touch response', so it will play the first time a note is pressed, but if you then play legato (smoothly) you won't hear the plink again. When you play non-legato, you'll hear the plink on each note. You don't play the percussion sounds on their own but mix them with the drawbars. Try 78 8600 000 plus 2nd harmonic and slow leslie for the Whiter Shade of Pale sound, or something like 88 8000 000 plus 3rd harmonic for a classic 'jazz organ' sound.
    </p>

Percussion can also refer to things like piano, xylophone etc and your M doesn't have these. It can also mean drum sounds triggered from the keys or even auto-rhythm. Again your M doesn't have these, but there are rhythm units that you could add, for a touch of rhythm with your playing.</p>

Andy
    </p>

</p>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Working...
    X