Rare Hammonds - Hammond Grand G-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Hammonds - Hammond Grand G-100

In my search for Hammond relics, I have acquired a Novachord (in need of restoration), 3 BA's (various states), a mostly incomplete but 1 of 1 concert style BA, 3 Concert E's (one fully restored by JoeyB3 ), rare tone cabinets, a fully restored heavily modified A, and more, but kept hunting.

I've finally found my white whale, a Grand 100. Complete and mostly working, but sadly the original speaker cabinets are inaccessible.

In my hunt I found the service manual. This has been immensely helpful in preparing for the purchase and move. I just wish I could find the install manual for notes on moving.

Does anyone here have a Hammond G-100 (Grand 100) installation manual? It's mentioned in the service manual but it seems there are no scans of it anywhere.

Anyone here ever own a G-100?

I believe I have the G100 Service manual as a hard copy. Organ Service Company held the rights too all Hammond parts and service documentation 1986 and prior. Jerry Welsh was the owner of the company. Unfortunately he passed (correction) October of 2020.

Most all of Jerry's parts and documentation stock was purchased by Paul Tchoryk of M&S Organs.
    His website is here:
    https://www.msorganparts.com/
    If you are in the USA, I suggest you give him a phone call.
    Donald R. Resor
    Tone Wheel and Tone Cabinet Service Company
    Los Angeles, California
    http://hammondorganservice.com

Comment

Originally posted by Monarke View Post
      Most all of Jerry's parts and documentation stock was purchased by Paul Tchoryk of M&S Organs.
      His website is here:
      https://www.msorganparts.com/
      If you are in the USA, I suggest you give him a phone call.
      I had wondered about the fate of Jerry's huge pile of parts, and that is the first time I have heard about anyone having acquired them. IMO that is worth a special announcement/sticky post.

I wonder if he is intending to catalog them the way Jerry did?
      -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
      Leslie 147 #F7453.
      Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

• Monarke
        Monarke commented
        Editing a comment
        I do not know, I have not spoke to Paul in a while. I was under the impression Jerry's daughter was going to keep the business running. When I spoke to Ray at Hammond a shortly after Jerry's death that his business would be closed.

It was then explained to me that Paul was examining the vast amount of "stuff" which were in storage containers. I thought Paul would probably need some time to sift through all of it, organize it etc.

If you want something else rare for your collection, not as old or as hallowed as a Concert E or an A, try to find a K100 spinet. Memorable (though most would probably prefer to forget!) for being the Hammond with the shortest ever production run - it may have been just a few months!

No tonewheels, no drawbars. Just tabs and tubes and, I think, transistor tone generation. I've only seen one, not fully working, even though it wasn't that old and sounding awful. Most have thankfully met their maker, but who knows, there may still be some in captivity!
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Speaking of such awful organs, Andy, one church congregation in Shropshire (my wife's birthplace) rid themselves of an old wreck of an organ by launching it from a trebuchet, at the same time charging admission for fundraising for a new one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erF0P0jzuzs
        1955 B3, Leslie 21H and 147. Hammond A100 with weird Leslie 205. 1976 Rhodes. Wurlitzer 200A. Yamaha DX7/TX7. Korg M1. Yamaha C3 grand, 67 Tele blond neck, Les Paul Standard, PRS 24, Gibson classical electric, Breedlove acoustic electric, Strat, P Bass, Rogers drum kit, Roland TD 12 digital drums, Apollo quad, older blackfaced Fender Twin, other amps, mics and bits and pieces cluttering up the "studio."

Comment

What about the model RT? I believe only a couple hundred were made, making it one of the most rare tonewheel Hammomds, as it was quickly superseded by the RT2.

Comment

• Monarke
            Monarke commented
            Editing a comment
            From the Hammond FAQ..... http://www.theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/models.html

Model RT

Production Years: Jul 1949 to Sep 1949
            Synopsis: Equipped with Hammond vibrato providing three degrees of true vibrato and an "OFF" position, effective simultaneously on both manuals, together with vibrato chorus usable in three different degrees and "OFF".
            Cabinet Size: 57x46-7/8x47-5/8 (WHD, inches)
            Finish: Walnut.
            Manuals: Swell and Great, 61 keys each.
            Pedals: 9 preset keys and 2 sets of 9 adjustable harmonic drawbars for each manual. For pedals, two adjustable drawbars (16' and 8'). One expression pedal controlling swell, great and pedals.
            Features: Equipped with Hammond vibrato providing three degrees of true vibrato and an "OFF" position, effective simultaneously on both manuals, together with vibrato chorus usable in three different degrees and "OFF".

Model RT-2

Production Years: Nov 1949 to Jan 1955
            Synopsis: Same as model RT but with controls which provide vibrato on either or both manuals, also additional control for "NORMAL" or "SOFT" overall volume.
            Finish: Walnut.
            Manuals: Swell and Great, 61 keys each.
            Pedals: 32-note radiating, detachable.
            Controls: 9 preset keys and 2 sets of 9 adjustable harmonic drawbars for each manual. For pedals, two adjustable drawbars (16' and 8'). One expression pedal controlling swell, great and pedals.
            Amp/Output: Internal preamp only.

Model RT-3

Production Years: Jan 1955 to 1973
            Synopsis: Same as RT-2 (ie 3 chorus/vibrato settings and a volume soft/normal tab) but with Hammond percussion feature as well (as per C3/B3).
            Finish: Walnut/Oak
            Manuals: Swell and great, 61 playing keys each.
            Pedals: 32-note detachable pedal keyboard.
            Controls: 9 preset keys and 2 sets of 9 adjustable harmonic drawbars for each manual. For pedals, two adjustable drawbars (16' and 8'). One expression pedal controlling swell, great and pedals.
            Features: Pedal solo system has separate volume control, providing the following solo effects: 32-foot Bourdon, 32-foot bombarde, 16 foot solo, 8-foot solo, 4-foot solo, 2- and 1-foot solo, also tablets for mute control and pedal "ON". Weighs 525lbs.

It would be interesting to know what the extra tonewheels were for in the G-100. Extended range? True harmonics for the mutation stops? I know it didn't have drawbars so these would be used in the various preset combinations making up the fixed stops.

Comment

Extra harmonics for all the stops. Allowing for better reeds and strings, for example.
            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
            Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Working...
            X