Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M3 Organ does not work -- Tonewheel? (pic)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M3 Organ does not work -- Tonewheel? (pic)

Hello, I am new to the Hammond Organ world. I just got a M3 and it will not fully turn on. The gears move and I hear something spin when I hold start but then it just stops cold when I flip the run switch. This leads me to believe the tonewheel is stuck. I have read about oiling and turning the tonewheel one rotation everyday until it becomes easy to move. My question is where do I turn the tonewheel? I can stick my finger where the number 2 is located and engage the two gears and turn something that is very hard to move (but it does turn) Do I want to be turning the tonewheel at the number 1? I can't get that to turn more than 10 or 15 degrees... What am I supposed to be turning to make the tonewheel unstuck?
    </p>

</p>

</p>

Re: M3 Organ does not work -- Tonewheel? (pic)

That's correct, I unfroze an M2 just by applying 3 in one oil and forcing the shaft to turn by hand. I did not wait a day either, just kept turning until it rotated freely. If you have mechanical experience you get a good sense about how much 'twist' you can apply without busting something. Then holding down the start switch giving the flywheel thing a flick until it runs by itself. Some people hose down the TG with WD40. You should use proper hammond oil once everything works, but use some kind of penetrating oil to get it started. Make sure you also put oil in the little swimming pool thingy on top of the motor, and don't break the little string thingy running out of it.

Comment

The entire shaft should turn, although it may feel sluggish and weighted down. You can turn it from either end. There are some spring clutches and "shock absorbers" on the shaft next to the flywheel at the left side of the TG.</P>

It's not visible in the photo, but if there IS a start motor way on the right side, the armature (part that rotates) should move from right to left so the gears engage the main shaft when you activate the START switch. Make sure the armature can be very easily rotated and slides back and forth. Once it engages the main TG shaft, things should start turning and come up to full speed in 4-5 seconds.</P>

If not, add Hammond Tone Generator oil liberally, to the oiling cups on top of the green felt, and to any shaft bearing you can see. Eventually things will loosen up, unless the shaft is so gummed up by a previous person using the wrong lubricant.</P>

Bob M.</P>

Comment

Simply as a precaution - did your organ not come with a protective cover over the brown contact board in front of the run motor/vibrato scanner or did you take it off? Be aware that one or more of these carry AC mains voltage. This should NEVER be left exposed, especially since the M3 has no rear cover.</p>

</p>

Just checking!</p>

</p>

Comment

Working...
        X