Tremulant Pitter-Patter noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tremulant Pitter-Patter noise?

I've been working on a Hammond Model A and got sound out of it for the first time today. (It had a very dead Run motor.) I replaced the original Run motor with a later Tremulant model motor, the enclosed type with the 0.009uf capacitor inside the motor cover.

With Tremulant turned up all the way and the 16' drawbar out, I hear a pitter-patter noise from the Tremulant from the lowest G down to C, getting louder the lower I play. I'm assuming this is a problem, but I have limited experience of Tremulant organs. Most 1930s organs I've worked on have had the Vibrato update.

Also, I was listening through a guitar amp driven by the rheostat box preamp output with the back off the rheostat box, so I don't know if that contributed to the noise.
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

I played around with this issue a bit more and realized something. There's no Tremulant noise on any of Hammond's factory presets, but the most 16' drawbar on any of the factory presets is with the 16' tones at 4 (Full Great on Lower Manual). Most of Hammond's factor presets have no 16' at all. I tried dialing in Full Great on the drawbars, and there's no difference, so it's not a drawbar issue.

It's only when you pull the 16' drawbar out to positions 6-8 that this noise becomes noticeable. But, of course, no one was using Jimmy Smith's now-standard jazz registrations in the 1930s.

Comment

So, does pulling the 16' drawbar exhibit the problem over the entire frequency range, or is the problem frequency dependent?
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
        So, does pulling the 16' drawbar exhibit the problem over the entire frequency range, or is the problem frequency dependent?
        It's definitely frequency dependent. It's only really noticeable from the lowest G down to C, and it gets worse the lower you go. And, of course, a Model A has tones 1-12 wired into the manuals.

Comment

Let me see if my bone stock Model A, s/n 2409, does this. I never use the tremulant.

Comment

Originally posted by joecool240 View Post
            Let me see if my bone stock Model A, s/n 2409, does this. I never use the tremulant.
            That would be very useful for me -- to know if there's a problem or if that's just the way they work.

I checked the organ today for the first time with the preamp reinstalled and all shields in place, and the Tremulant noise persists -- on the manuals. It did NOT, however, present itself when I pushed the lowest C pedal actuator.

And it almost seems louder at low Swell pedal positions, but that could simply be a psychoacoustic effect where it's masked by the louder tone as you turn the volume up.

Comment

Maybe tomorrow afternoon I can call you and let you listen to my Model A tremulant in real time? The tremulant does work. Best, Joe​

Comment

Working...
              X