This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Hammond

So I bought this hammond E from a guy in Oklahoma City, Ok and I asked him if he could start it up...to see what type of response he would get from the organ, and he said this.</p>

"I connected the start and run switches, and the organ starts up and
    runs but just a hum out of the speakers, the speaker tone cabnet hummed
    and the 120 leslie humbed, the tubes lighted up on both units but no
    sound out of the organ,? the leslie dual set up was taken out of this
    organ, we plugged the speaker into the 5 pin and the 6 pin outlet on
    the side of the organ, "</p>

Would anyone know what the deal is...?
    </p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Re: My First Hammond

Lots of possibilities as to what's going on here... e.g. do you have an original model E (from the '30s) or an E100 model (from the 60s)? --But the very first thing to do is put some Hammond oil in there, regardless. Lots of times a Hammond sold "as is" or "not working" just needs oil! There areplenty of online vendors who sell authentic Hammond oil (don't try to use 3-in-1 or some other substitute), just Google to find one in your region. So that's the first order of business; we can take it from there once it's oiled properly. Good luck and keep us posted. Scott
    Nobody loves me but my mother,
    And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

Comment

You've mentioned start and run switches, which suggests it's a Concert E. If so, it's got typewriter key type presets at the left, two volume pedals and a 32 note pedalboard, right?</p>

Now, do you know how to start it properly? Hold the Start switch up until the start motor comes up to speed, say fifteen seconds, then flip the Run switch, hold both there for a second or so and then release the Start switch,</p>

Yes, get some real Hammond oil in there.</p>

Keep us posted.</p>

Andy
      </p>
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

I have a 1945 Hammond CV at my church. All original in mint condition. I know how to operate my hammond but Im not sure if the gentleman selling me the Hammond knows tons about it. But, my Hammond doesn't humm, because I've always kept her oiled.

Comment

OK, all understood. Have you talked the seller through the proper startup procedure? Maybe it will make some sounds then. The hum from the 120 Leslie could be motor or rotor noise then. It has no amp of its own. The E will be older than your CV, so maybe a little hum is allowed at that age!</p>

Andy
          </p>
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

It's possible that with the change in speaker setup there's no B+ voltage getting returned to the preamp. Your tone cabinet would need to be sending 300+vdc back thru pin 5 to the preamp, since the 120 Leslie likely wouldn't have an amp that would do this. Take the cover off the preamp terminals and use a voltmeter to check for DC voltage between the B+ terminal and ground. </P>

Imiss my old E.....</P>

Comment

this guy said that they removed two moon switches and a leslie plug in box from the organ. Would this have some effect on why it just humms....also what box is he refering too...and where can I get a replacement....by the way the organ will be in my possession...tomorrow night :)

Comment

This now sounds like fun! The leslie connector kit box and the Half Moon switches they removed would allow the connection of the Leslie. Take them away and you can't plug a leslie in, so how can the 120 hum? There's also mention of a tone cabinet in an earlier post, and that should provide the B+ voltage. </p>

Hard to say what you're going to get until you've got it, but I hope you get all the gear that you need. The leslie 120 is pretty crap anyway, a very small, low power rating speaker and a single rotor. Put some decent bass into it and it won't like it much. So, you can probably live without it if they've taken away the connector kit and switches (probably worth more than the 120!).</p>

Let us know what you get. Photos too, if possible, and together we can sort it out - I'm sure!
                </p>

Andy
                </p>

Comment

yeah it's pretty scary here is what i found....the organ is at my home now...and they are right....tone cab tubes glow, but no sound...here is pictures of what I found inside</p>

</p>

Comment

please someone help me.....!

Comment

Haha, WOW. Ok, thats definitely a model E. </p>

Bad news - you have to re-do all the wiring.</p>

Good news - you have to re-do all the wiring anyway because it was 70+ years old and very hazardous to begin with. </p>

More bad news - you have no reference as to how everything was and should be hooked up. </p>

More good news - there isn't much to these organs in regards to the AC voltage and having everything hooked up properly. There are lots of helpful people here that can help sort it out. </p>

</p>

Would you say you are qualified to work with AC line voltage? If not, this is definitely work for a qualified electrician.
                      </p>

I'm re-wiring my E tomorrow so I can tell you what goes where on that contact board. (The board that is suspended is supposed to be secured in front of the run motors/tremulant mechanism. Is this organ missing the contact board in front of the motors?)

</p>

Comment

Now are you rewiring the whole thing. Or just the preamp leslie hook up part? I have worked with 480V and hot gloves soo yeah...I can work with 120 and high amp DC. Just need some direction on what too do. I bought this organ for school and church. So too get her working is key! Because as I said before there is no sound, and the main echo switch built onto the organ is not hooked up. I have a leslie 120 right now, later I plan on building two leslie speakers that will be similar to the 122, so I need to put in connections for that now. Also this thing needs a starter motor soon, the starter sounds horrible, so I need to replace that...But here are some more pictures that I took of my rig! What was this switch kit that they took off my organ...There are two on ebay...should I bid on one? or what do I need?</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

Right Now...I just want to play it a little and hear her sing....can someone just help me do that...?!?!

Comment

Welcome to the site. There are only 3 people on here that have Model E's like yours that I know of and Johnny B3's is a mystery model!. Since you want to hear it lets try something really simple. Don't worry about the loud start motor, they're all like that on the old ones. Also the generator may be bolted down and that will make it sound loud. First, can you get the generators running? </p>

Now, your biggest problem is that the E has to have about 200 volts DC to make the preamp operate. That usually comes from an older Hammond cabinet or Leslie 122 type ONLY (147 types will not work) and hooks up to the terminal on the preamp marked B+. Without that, no sound. We need to know more about your knowledge, ability and what kind of amps, etc, you have to work with. We're going to have to get creative.You mentioned you have high voltage experience. The B+ is DC current.</p>

Edit: I just noticed in your pictures you have a Hammond cabinet. What model? With a 6 prong connect on each end of the cable that should get you the B+ to your preamp presuming your wiring is still intact and correct.
                            </p>

Or, can you borrow the amp the CV plays through? Leslie or what? That may be your only choice unless you have a friend with a Leslie 122 type (Models 21H, 22H, 31H, 142, 222).
                            </p>

Until you get the 200 volts B+ the organ the following won't work. Assuming your Hammond speaker/amp is not working lets try this (you will have to have the Hammond speaker hooked up to the organ for the B+ unless you have another source. If you have a volt meter, measure the B+ at the preamp terminal in the organ and let us know how many volts you're getting): Do you have a guitar amp? If so, you can take a signal from one of the G terminals on the preamp (You'll probably have to make a patch cord with blank wires on one end and guitar jack on other) and run that into your guitar amp. Be sure to get your polarity correct. Of course, you'll need to connect a ground wire from the chassis of the E to your 1/4 inch plug. That should get you sound if you have the B+ 200 VDC. If so, let us know and we'll go from there as your 120 has no amp to work with right now and your E has no power amp. Don't worry about the half moon switches for now. As you said you just want to get sound.
                            </p>

</p>

Would you please post a picture of the serial plate so we can add it to our database and timeline? What is the serial number?</p>

Waiting for your input.We need more info to help.
                            </p>

PS. DON'T PLUG A LESLIE 147 TYPE INTO THAT CONNECTOR ON THE ORGAN. It'll destroy a lot and could cause a fire. </p>

</p>

PSS. I'm concerned about the unconnected dangling wires on the terminal strip. Can you post better pictures of that and where they're connected? </p>

Edit: PSSS. In rereading your beginning info you mention hooking up the 5 and 6 pin connector where the Leslies were. That won't work. Your first cabinet MUST be 6 pin to 6 pin to get your B+. That may be your whole problem. Only then can you use the 5 pin connector for extensions.
                            </p>
                            Hammonds: A; AB; B3; D; E; 6-M3's; 2-A100; T582C.
                            Leslies: 3-31H; 21H, 22H, 4-44W; 46W; 25; 47; 45; 125; 50C; 51; 55C; 2-120; 122; 122A; 145; 147; 245; 770; 825; 2-102; 2-103; 300.
                            Wicks 2/5 pipe organ; Yamaha upright; Kurzweil Micro Piano & Micro B with M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha DGX520; Wurlitzer 4100 (it came with a Leslie!). Peavey KB100 keyboard amp. Peavey Bass Guitar. Yes, I have A. D. (acquisition disorder) and don't want it cured.

Comment

Welcome tothe small, but growing, cadre of Model E owners. There are a few of us (very few, probably) who think this was the best model Hammond ever made and the most fun to play.On to business - </P>

You won't get any sound because the signal output from the console preamp is not connected to anything. You still might not get any sound even when it is connected, but one thing at a time.</P>

It appears that the dangling terminal strip is from the Main-Echo switch. I suggest you forget about that for now, and just wire the cable from the tone cabinet connector directly to the preamp terminal strip as it was originally. It also appears that you have a D-20 or DR-20 tone cabinet, so as long as there is a 6-terminal plug on the console end of the connecting cable you should have what you need.</P>

Hereare links tothe console wiring diagram that I posted in another thread on this forum:</P><FONT size=2>

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nf1cvb</P>

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3kqm79</P>

They will show you how the cable from the tone cabinet connector is connected to the preamp. As was said in another response, some of these wires carry 120 volt mains power, so the wiring needs to be done by someone qualified for this kind of work to avoid burning the house down and/or killing somebody. Outside of that, the wiring is straightforward.</P>

Good luck!</P></FONT>
                              1937 Model E
                              PR-40 w/Accutronic Reverberation
                              Leslie 31-H
                              Schulmerich ChimeATron

Comment

Working...
                              X