This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing percussion tone

The third harmonic percussion is missing from the upper manual second F key on my M3. The second harmonic percussion is there. No other notes lack percussion function other than the last octave or so....which I think is normal. Right? Until I add foldback. . </P>

Thoughts?</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Re: Missing percussion tone

I never noticed that on my M3. I did, however, notice I do not
    get any percussion effect on the highest "C". Percussion is not
    hooked up at all for the lower manual. </p>

Foldback does not relate
    to percussion, I do not believe. Foldback is what the M3 is
    missing from the big consoles. You will notice that not all of
    your drawbars produce sound all the way up the manual. The high
    frequencies are just too high for pleasant listening. The big
    consoles have lower frequencies in place of the higher, un-pleasant
    frequencies - or they are "folded back".</p>

You can add this to your M3. There are some web pages that give directions.</p>

If
    you do not have percussion sounding on one key (second "F" upper manual
    - you stated) that sounds like something is wrong but I couldn't tell
    you what. I'm sure someone else will here shortly.</p>

Good Luck

</p>

Comment

Keep in touch with me too, if you want to do foldback, I've done it with heaps of photos, I'm working on making a pdf, but I'm a little distracted with some other mods.</P>

I have to go out to a gig now, but let me know!</P>

Cheers,</P>

-Brendon</P>
      -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
      -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
      -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
      -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
      -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Comment

[quote user="skyboltone"]

The third harmonic percussion is missing from the upper manual second F key on my M3. The second harmonic percussion is there. No other notes lack percussion function other than the last octave or so....which I think is normal. Right? Until I add foldback. . </p>

Thoughts?</p>
        <p mce_keep="true"></p>

[/quote]

</p>

Not true - the top octave (even though lacking foldback) should have percussion running all the way up to the top note.</p>

If you're getting 2nd harmonic on one note, but not 3rd, then I believe everything is fine up until the percussion portion of the amp or percussion switches.
        </p>

Comment

Ok, Thanks fellers. Looks like a note by note chart is in order. Percussion definitely stops at the highest octave on the upper manual, but I can't remember which drawbars were in use etc. </P>

I'm probably going to open up the amp this coming week and take stock of the rebuilding plan. I may well wait and acquire another AO-29 to rebuild, then change it out so I've got a good example to work from. In the meantime I'll keep y'all posted. </P>

Thanks</P>

Comment

I might be wrong, but aren't the percussion tones just re-routed from the tone generator? If that is the case, it would make sense that second harmonic would not be missing even if third was, because they're different tones. This should be a problem with a TG connection, not anything in the AO-29 I don't think. The second harmonic is supposed to be an octave above the note, and the third is a fifth above that octave I think...so I guess if you're playing that F the second C up from there should be missing on at least one drawbar...or something like that. Test all the notes on one or both manuals, one drawbar at a time--that way you'll know if an actual TG connection is broken. (Fixing them is very easy, you just remove the panel, find the right wire on a frequency chart, and resolder.) If you find a missing tone, and it is a tone generator problem not something isolated to percussion, that would be your problem.</P>

Of course, I might have no idea what I'm talking about, so please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.</P>
            1955 M3 (in good hands!)
            1962 A100
            1942 BC
            too many other keyboards...

Comment

Working...
            X