This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulbransen Model D Posting

Currently there is a beautiful Gulbransen organ listed on Craigslist from Dallas, TX. I don't think the organ is actaully in that area, but the pics are extremely nice for viewing. Gulbransen fans this one is something to look at as well as give strong consideration regarding a possible acquistion. I can only wish right now.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

James</P>
    Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Re: Gulbransen Model D Posting

Hi James. i saw that one last and got some great pics from it for the Gulbransen organ site that I never seem to update .... one of these days ....</P>

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/1400606267.html</P>

They are asking for offers and mention that the organ had cost 3000 dollars. They will be very disappointed. My e-mail provider is having problems so I can't send them a note to "break the news" about the organ's real value. I think mentioning the original cost of the organ is going to scare off some people who may want the organ. It's worth a shot though if anyone is interested in this. </P>

As you all know I love that model! Itis - for all practical purposes - the only Gulbransen model with an AGOpedalboard that isstill able to be found, and you still don't see too many of them. It has the classic old-world TIO Tibia generators and also a second set of generators (divider) for the complex voices/pedals.The one listed nowhas the colored stop tabs and lighted stop rail, much like my old Model E had. My Model D is of the "classical" design with white tabs and locking cover instead. I still miss those colored tabs lit up in the dark!</P>

I'm still waiting for a complete set of Model D "guts" after someone else "sold" their Model Dafter a long time languishing onCraigslist. Only wanted 25 bucks for it in the end, and someone came along, paid the money, took the pedalboard, then forfieted the rest of the instrument ... sonow the organ is useless. I told the guy I would pay him 100 bucks for all the guts and gave him detailed instructions for how to disassemble it. I figured I could use the spare parts, and he could possibly find a home for the empty console with someone making a MIDI instrument. Nothing ever came of it though --- too bad as those divider boards and electronic vibrato unit are a chronic source of intermittent problems in my organ- was hoping to just swap them out.</P>

Maybe one day I'll seeone of the very rare AGOGulbransensModel F or Model CP in real life, but probably not...</P>

- jim</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    Jimmy Williams
    Hobbyist (organist/technician)
    Gulbransen Model D with Leslie 204

Comment

James - It is in Dallas. Lake Highlands is a neighborhood in East Dallas. </p>

Those are nice pictures.</p>

Comment

Now that is one organ that really looks good for its age. Definitely some pix to add to the album there!
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

I owned a D for a few months. Mine didn't have any of those blue tabs. I'm very sceptical about those photos. The ad says all original literature is with the organ and I think those pictures came from that literature. Note the dated draperies! And there is no way a 45 year old varnish could have that shine and perfection. I hope someone in the Dallas area gets to see the real thing. I'm sure it's good, but not as good as those photos!

Comment

[quote user="OrgansR4Me"] I think those pictures came from that literature. [/quote]</p>

Don't think so, OR4ME. No pro advertising photos would have that flare from the single flashgun, and there's a definite patina on the name plate. And a lot of early 60's brochures seem to have been b/w rather than colour. I think someone's either looked after this one very well or has gone mad with the polish. I've seen a Hammond H recently in this sort of condition (well, externally at least) so it can be done.</p>

I do agree about the drapes. Now don't tell anyone I told you this but......</p>

I have a couple of students who have similar furnishings! [:$]
            </p>

Andy
            </p>
            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
            Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

I think the blue stop tabs which I do find most unusual are stops made up from flutes such as the Clarinet 8', and of coarse the one we can see called Mixture. I do wish we could see all of the stops as well as the few shown.</P>

Jim, do you know the stop list or at least what those in blue are on the lower keyboard?</P>

I regret I didn't bid on Ebay one time for the Ebony Gulbransen model H3. I was new to such as that,andeven very late no one had bid on it. It either sold within the last couple of hours or just was never listed again. For a flute organ that would have been the model I would have really enjoyed when young as any console at that time wasa bit out of reach. I sure wish I could have a Model D. The color tabs are nice, but just one with the white tabs and locking top are what I really like too. </P>

Jim, do these sound anything close to the model K which I have a recording of on a CD? Someone sent me that recording and I do enjoy listening to the demo as well as complete songs played on this model.</P>

I would imagine these people will be lucky to evensell the organ, and may be in for a surprise when they learn how the "real world" is these days when it comes to all old organs. </P>

James</P>
              Baldwin Spinet 58R
              Lowrey Spinet SCL
              Wurlitzer 4100A

Comment

[quote user="Tenor Trumpet 8'"] I think the blue stop tabs which I do find most unusual are stops made up from flutes such as the Clarinet 8', and of coarse the one we can see called Mixture. I do wish we could see all of the stops as well as the few shown. Jim, do you know the stop list or at least what those in blue are on the lower keyboard?[/quote]

I have the complete stop list posted here in another thread (don't know exactly where right now...). The blue tabs for the lower manual are Principals 8 and 4 (which are tibias 8/4/2 and 4/2/1 respectively). There is no tibia 1 stop for the lower manual so the only way you get it is using the Principal 4. On some Gulbransens like the K the Glock stop is blue as well. By the time the D came out they started using green tabs for the "percussion" preset stops. On the K and some other organs like the E the Glock stop did not bring in the sustain,and you would have to push the piston yourself. I don't think it soundsmuch like a Glock though; it sounds like more likevibes if you ask me.</P>

[quote user="Tenor Trumpet 8'"]Jim, do these sound anything close to the model K which I have a recording of on a CD?[/quote]</P>

Not really. The big factor in the sound of the K was the separated channels and the external rotosonic/isomonic Leslies. The D does not have a rotosonic drum but has an internal 2-speed "normal" wooden baffle for the tibias. I guess the D sounds most like a Premiere - thesound/speaker system (2 channel) and generator sets (TIOs for Tibia; dividers for main/pedal) are almost identical - but also has the piano unit (so the main gens are not interchangable but the Tibia gens should be). If the Premiere had an AGO pedalboard I would have got one of those. There was a 4-channel AGO organ called the CP that was basically a Model D that had a piano and a separate bass channel (but still used 2 sets of generators). It had no internal speakers but only used the special 4-channel Leslie 204 cabinet. So the closest I come to owning a CP is owning a 204 cabinet.</P>

You can still find the H series farily easily - for free of very cheap - just have to keep an eye out for them. I never did see another Ebony H though. If searching craigslist, etc. for an H just use keywords Gulbransen Transistor Organ - they usually end up being from the B, G, or H series but the sellers usually don't know the model details.</P>

- jim</P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                Jimmy Williams

Comment

[quote user="OrgansR4Me"]I owned a D for a few months. Mine didn't have any of those blue tabs. I'm very sceptical about those photos. The ad says all original literature is with the organ and I think those pictures came from that literature. Note the dated draperies! And there is no way a 45 year old varnish could have that shine and perfection. I hope someone in the Dallas area gets to see the real thing. I'm sure it's good, but not as good as those photos![/quote]</P>

Look closer and you can see the dust lingering on the keycheeks in those tough to reach spots ... and would anyone really go through the trouble of doctoring up an ad for a Gulbransen D?? [:D] Your D was probably like mine - the classical design that had all white/black tabs. It's the same exact organ inside.</P>

-jim</P>
                  Jimmy Williams

Comment

Hi, Jimmy. Thanks for the tip-off. I've never had the blessing of running into any vintage instrument shined so well. I guess this is one seller who really wants to put his best foot forward.</P>

I've been taking a couple of weeks off from organs since the failure of the Yamaha 405 project. I picked up a really nice keyboard (Casio 3800) complete with stand for just $100 2 weeks ago and will need awhile to study the manual on that before going back to any new projects.</P>

My D was a theater model with colored tabs. I'm getting older now so please forgive me if mine had the blue and I've just forgotten? It was about the time I decided I couldn't push the big ones around any longer and gave up the Conn 720 and the D (went to the Goodwill store) when I acquired My GA3. ( I later bought back the 720 when the price on the organs went below $100 so that it wouldn't be parted, but last year I gave it away to make room for moving my Allen R100C to the work area so I could get the Wurly Console in the front room)</P>

Talking about the D seller being surprised, was I shocked last week when here on the forum I learned my GA3 was worth only $1000 tops. I was sure the Technics was going to be the brand that held up the longest. But I guess alot of people are beginning to experience problems with them and the values are taking a real dive.</P>

I'm thankful the D isn't here in my territory because I really did like the sound of it. You mention the B, which I also had briefly, and I would recommend the tone to anyone interested in a spinet. Much richer tone than either Baldwin or Conn!</P>

Comment

Jim,</P>

I would think then that the yellow tabs for strings and the red for reeds were the ones from the divider generator. I find it interesting that I read somewheretheClarinet 8' made from the flute tones on the Gulbransen was a favorite sound.I didn't realize the Principal and Octave were also from flutes since you mentioned this organ had the two tone generators. It is obvious the Mixuture was a timbre device also derived from flute tones.</P>

James</P>
                      Baldwin Spinet 58R
                      Lowrey Spinet SCL
                      Wurlitzer 4100A

Comment

I am toying with getting rid of my Gulbransen D. It is the same as the one pictured. It is in north central IL. Please PM me if you are interested.</P>

Thanks</P>
                        1958 B3, 1957 C3, Allen MDS 16, Hammond Elegante, Hammond Aurora, Hammond 820, Kimball Stardust, Gulbransen D, Allen tc1, Kimball Pump organ, Clough/Warren Pump organ, Leslies 122, 142, 145,740,125.

Comment

[quote user="Tenor Trumpet 8'"]

Jim,</P>

I would think then that the yellow tabs for strings and the red for reeds were the ones from the divider generator. I find it interesting that I read somewheretheClarinet 8' made from the flute tones on the Gulbransen was a favorite sound.I didn't realize the Principal and Octave were also from flutes since you mentioned this organ had the two tone generators. It is obvious the Mixuture was a timbre device also derived from flute tones.</P>

James</P>

[/quote]</P>

Hi James. Long and short of it ... </P>

If the Gulbransen had separate tibia/main generators, then the tibia single pitches were white tabs with gold/brown engraving, and tibia combinations were blue. Main voices were white with black lettering for principals (yes there was actually a "flute" stop on the K from the main gens)., yellow for strings, red for reeds. If the organ had a variant in the "classical" design all the tabs were white, but the engravings themselves followed the tab color pattern (for instance the reeds were white tabs but engraved inred).</P>

In any organ that had stop tabs to control percussion preset stops, Green was used (either as a stop tab color, OR an engraving color if in classical design). But in organs where the Glock was NOT a percussion preset, it was blue.</P>

If the organ was tibia only, the normal color scheme was used (string yellow, reed red), and blue only used for the Glock in some limited cases (like the E). Also, for the white stops: combinations like Principal, Mixture, etc. had a different colored engraving - looked brown to me (manual says "green")- as opposed to the single footage tibia stops which had black engraving.</P>

I guess there is a rhyme or reason to it all....</P>

- jim</P>
                          <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                          <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                          <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                          Jimmy Williams

Comment

James,</P>

My newly acquired Gully doesn't have separate tibia/main generators, but the tabs are exactly as Jim describes....</P>
                            <UL>
                            <LI>White/Gold Lettering = Tibias</LI>
                            <LI>White/Black Lettering = Principals</LI>
                            <LI>Red = Reeds</LI>
                            <LI>Yellow = Strings</LI>
                            <LI>Green = Percussion</LI>
                            <LI>Blue = Manual Traps</LI>[/list]

Cheers,</P>

Ian</P>
                            sigpic
                            Hammond X77GT & Leslie 77P
                            Lowrey C500 & Leslie 720/540