Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up a Conn Minuet at Goodwill.*pictures* (and LOTS of questions...)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up a Conn Minuet at Goodwill.*pictures* (and LOTS of questions...)

I can't really find *ANYTHING* on this organ... hopefully you all can help me out a little. I've been lurking for a couple weeks and decided to make a name since I can't answer a lot of lingering questions.</p>

</p>

The organ is a Conn Minute. I can't find the model number for some reason. It still had the tags on it...</p>

</p>

And is in REALLY good condition cosmetically. Looks as if its from the 70's. That's based off my knowledge or organs, which is zilch. It has an AC-30 Vox looking grill cloth under the keys, and it strikes me as a 70's design. I could be way off though. I got it for 70 dollars. I've spent more on dinner! I definitely got my moneys worth out of this thing. I'm having a blast jamming on it.
    </p>

</p>

I'm a guitar player and I originally bought it thinking I'd use it for the leslie housed inside, but its so beautiful sounding and interesting that I've decided to keep it around.</p>

</p>

I'm no purist but I don't want to hack this thing to bits if its "worth" something or rare... so keep that in mind when I ask these questions. Let me know if I'm off my rocker... Here are some pictures for ya!</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

1) The Organ came with a Hammond AutoRhythm it was just sitting on top, it was an add on because you can see they removed the original music stand. There is a cord that I've traced from the Hammond back up to the upper left side of the organ. This cable has a HORRENDOUS crackle and it seems as if its at the jack of the Hammond, but its not, its in the 1/4 male plug. You have to move the cable for 2 minutes and situate it perfectly to get it to shut up. I inspected the cable for issues, but it looks fine... Any ideas on that? Is there a good way to fix it. It is UNDER the upper panel of the organ, I just cant see in there deep enough to see how its connected. It's not a 1/4 jack on this end, its soldered in apparently. Should I cut the old end off and put a new one on, or should I just try to re-do the whole job by running a new cable from the organ to the Hammond?
    </p>

</p>

Here is a few iPhone snaps of the Hammond AutoRhythm as I was cleaning it up: </p>[img]file:///C:/Users/CANDER%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/img]
    [img]file:///C:/Users/CANDER%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/img]

</p>

The guts:
    </p>

</p>

2) I don't have the organ in front of me right now, so this won't be extremely detailed but, a few of the switches on the lower keys (when played alone, "oboe" for instance) don't have the volume that the others do... what would cause this? Its just a weak tone at about 1/2 the volume of the other switches, is the switch not making good contact? Any ideas on that? </p>

</p>

3) How could I run an effects loop on one of these? Is this a bad idea? I want to hook up some goofy effects in some tunes I'm recording... (phaser, flanger, wah, etc.)
    </p>

</p>

3) Is it possible/safe to run a guitar amplifier to the Leslie and the 2 other speakers, like an extension cabinet? My amplifier is 100 watts and has a 4/8/16 ohms slider on it. Are organs 16 ohms?
    </p>

</p>

4) THIS tube:</p>

</p>

glows EXTREEEEMELY bright... is this thing going to blow up in my face?
    </p>

</p>

</p>

That's it... i think...</p>

</p>

</p>

Re: Just picked up a Conn Minuet at Goodwill.*pictures* (and LOTS of questions...)

This organ is a lot older than you think. It looks like a model 541 Minuet from 1961. The Hammond rhythm box is several years later, maybe 1968/9. It's not that common any more (most have gone west long ago) but it's not worth anything much, a few $ at best.
    </p>

To try to answer some of your questions: </p>

1) Change the plug on the cable if that's where the problem seems to be. You shouldn't need to change the whole cable.</p>

2) Some voices are meant to be louder than others, but probably not that much. Contacts are the first thing to clean, and there are lots, so it will take a while. And while you're doing that, clean up all the valve (tube) sockets to see if that perks things up.</p>

3a) Not sure about adding FX, you'd need the schematics to find out where to route the signals. Someone out there may have them?!</p>

3b) Well you could just disconnect the internal speakers and hook them up to your amp, but they are only rated for about 20 watts max. 100 will send them into orbit.</p>

4) That does look very bright. No idea why. Power supply problems spring to mind but impossible to diagnose at a distance.</p>

There are a couple of tube Conn guys on here that may be able to help more.</p>

Andy
    </p>

</p>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Re: Just picked up a Conn Minuet at Goodwill.*pictures* (and LOTS of questions...)

What a unique find. Anything seems to go in the organ world. What are the lower maual stops as well as the percussion on the lower right side? These older Conn Organs are the only Conn organs I even care about, but I am sure this one is one of the 500 Seriessince it is aMinuet. I have some info on Conn, but don't have all the model numbers. However, there are several here on the forum who can help you there exactly. Look under the upper manual and see if the info is there on a metal tag. It should give the model number, serial number, and other info. It is interesting to see some of these older organ that have been kept in very nice condition over the years, and even more surprising that they even work. That large tube might be a rectifier tube, and I would replace it as well as I am sure old capacitors need replacing too. I am sure that causes some of the tones to be weak. I have the same problem with a whole set of Tibias on my old Baldwin.</P>

Yes, there are a number here on the form who will be willing to help you out with finding all the info you want. This is a first for me seeing a Hammond rhythm unit attached to it. You do have a nice sounding spinet organ that you should leave intact. It is the kind I enjoy playing since the stops are all inscribed and easily changed.</P>

James</P>
      Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
      Baldwin Spinet 58R
      Lowrey Spinet SCL
      Wurlitzer 4100A
      Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
      Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
      Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

WOW! 1961 its in great shape for that age. When I get home I'll give you all the info off the back plate you told me about... I'll take a picture of the stops on the RH side as well!
        </p>

</p>

I'll try to clean the contacts and see if that helps my issues. I'm sure its been covered on here hundreds of times, but is there an FAQ for some generic cleaning tips?! </p>

</p>

I'll change that rectifier tube and hopefully it'll brighten things up a bit. You guys are great! Thanks again!</p>

</p>

-Chip
        </p>

Comment

Awesome info! Thank you... </p>

</p>

About the extremely bright tube, I didn't realize this at the time I posted that picture but that "brightness" is actually just a blown out over exposed part of the picture, the organ wasn't even plugged in... It does look extremely bright there though so I can see how you'd gather that. I'll take a picture with the organ plugged in and warmed up so you can see. It glows and extremely bright orange... </p>

</p>

Comment

The tube in question is likely the OC3 voltage regulator for the power supply. The bright orange glow is normal because it's a gas-discharge type device; i.e., it conducts (with the glow) at a specific voltage.</p>

Scary that I can remember this stuff...[:S]</p>

-- Tom</p>

</p>
            Rodgers 660 with additional analog rack sets (practice), 36D/C in digital conversion, Yamaha CVP-107

Comment

</P>
              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Here are the stops on the RH lower keys as someone requested.</P>

Comment

Hey, saw your post, congrats on the find, I have a large conn that I did a great amount of work to and thought i'd share some of my ideas with you. If you want to run some effects through it, i'd go to www.organservice.com and see if they have a service manual for it and if you are good with schematics i'm sure you could figure out a way to run some effects through it. I'm guessing you are into classic rock going by the user name (good choice my favorite alongside organ) and if you set the stops right with some different effects you might be able to get some cool sounds from the thing. I never tried it with mine its too pretty for me to want to hack up and add stuff to along with being entirely too heavy to move out from the wall except for the dreaded tuning. good luck with it let us know how you make out.

Comment

Thanks for the recent post. However, these are already in the listing above. What about the stops for the lower manual such as Diapason, Flute, . Cello, etc.? Then, the pedal stopsareon the lower right hand side. I have seen a few Conn's like that. I am sure there are percussion stops somewhere,but what is available? Some early models of Conn only had sustain, and no percussion stops.</P>

Thanks,</P>

James</P>
                  Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
                  Baldwin Spinet 58R
                  Lowrey Spinet SCL
                  Wurlitzer 4100A
                  Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
                  Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
                  Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

I just want to chime in here for a minute. Lovely spinet you have there. In order to keep it that way strongly recommend that you replace all of the power supply capacitors and any paper (or wax/plastic covered paper) capacitors before firing her up again. It is especially important that the caps which couple the signal to the grids of the output tubes be replaced lest they leak and take out the output tubes and output transformer with them.</p>

mike</p>
                    If it is Caesar that you worship, then Caesar you shall serve.

Comment

where are all pictures?????

Comment

Six/seven year old thread! The links have probably long since gone.
                        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Working...
                        X