Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone has ever moved or assembled a Yamaha EX1?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone has ever moved or assembled a Yamaha EX1?

Hello everybody, I need to move a Yamaha EX1 that I recently found and bought. Does anybody here did this operation before? I'm not sure about if it's possible to separate the stand of the main body (I suppose it is possible, but need to make sure in order to arrange the vehicle for the transportation, persons needed, etc), and the aproximate wheigh of the main body. Any data will be very appreciated.

Will post photos when I have it installed
    Many thanks!

Congratulations on finding an EX1! I have its smaller brother - the E70. The only information I can give you that may be helpful is that 1) the pedalboard is easily removed, and 2) I had to remove 2 interior doors to get it into my house! I don't think the main body is designed to separate from the stand on the EX1.

Here's the owners manual, which has weight and dimensions on the last page:

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...h/ele/EX2E.pdf

Good luck with the move!

Frank
    Hammond C3 & Leslie 122, Yamaha E70, Lowrey MX1

Comment

Congragulations on finding an EX-1. Is it in good working order ? Does it come with both TX-3 tone cabinets ( standard equipment for the EX-1 ) ?

While I have never moved an EX-1, I have moved my FX-1 and several EX-42s many times. The big Yamaha stage models are some of the heaviest consoles I have ever moved. Even heavier than my Allen ADC6000 three manual church organ.

The best way to move these is with a full size van with the seats removed. Or, a larger box truck.

As noted above, the pedals remove easily by lifting the front up slightly to unhook from the catches. The console does not come apart in any way that would be helpful for moving it. It does open up easy for access to the internals, but that won't help with a move.

The weight of the console is 536 lbs., but that includes the pedalboard that weighs about 60 lbs. The weight of the bench is 88 lbs. I do not have the dimensions or weight of the TX-3 tone cabinets right at hand, but figure that each cabinet is about 250 to 300 lbs.

The console dimensions are 61 inches wide , and 30 or 31 inches deep. It should fit though a standard front door opening, if you take the door off by pulling the hinge pins. Interior doors may be another issue entirely.

All the stage models come with rollers built in to the console bottom, but they are ony useful on hard surfaces as they are smallish. Also the rollers are not swivel type, so it only will roll in a lengthwise direction. They are steel rollers and will tear up hardwood flooring if you are not very carefull. I have found that 6 X 6 inch squares of carpeting placed under the rollers ( carpet side to the floor ) will allow one person to slide the console around on a hard surface.

The stage model consoles are sorta top heavy , so having 3 persons is advisable when lifting it into a truck. Two to lift, and one to stabilize it.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask. I've moved lots of large Yamahas ( and other big organs as well ) in my years of collecting them.

Regards, Larry
      Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

Here is the back page of the original EX-1 brochure.
        Attached Files
        Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

Comment

485lbs. I would plan on four people. My FX-1 is 507lbs and takes four.

Geo

Comment

Four people then, it will be better not to risk the operation.... Thanks Geo!

Comment

Hi Carlos,

It's very sad to hear that the TX-3 cabinets are missing, but if I recall correctly the EX-1 is the first stage model that has an extra socket on it for connecting direct line outs from it to a mixer ( IE, not just sockets for the TX-3 cabinets ) . I believe it is labeled AUX Out or EXT Reverb. So, unlike an EX-42, the tone cabinets are not essential to getting the full sound of the instrument .

You found it in a church that did not realize what it actually is, and did not know how to make use of all the features ?!? I do not find that hard to believe anymore. I have heard of quite a few of these stage models being found languishing in churches, and rescued by folks like us who know what they are. One has to wonder why churches would even buy one in the first place though; they are not really a church type organ, and that is evident just from looking at one .

I do agree with GeoElectro that 4 people might be a good idea for the move. Although, it has been my experience that more than three can get in each others way when lifting them. There are no real handles or great places to grab them by. We always do it by lifting up under the main body of them, and that seems to work best.

If by "wheel boards " you mean furniture moving dollys with a platform and 4 wheels, then yes they are quite helpful. If you mean actual organ moving dollys ( like Rol or Carry that are for Hammond's ) then those do not work well with the big Yamahas. One strong ( or two moderately strong ) people can tip the console up on one end enough to get a furniture dolly under it. Another thing that I have used is lengths of PVC plumbing pipe as rollers under the base. The bottom of the base is thick plywood, so that works pretty well .

I've attached some photos of moving an EX-42 in and out of a van . I can't recall where I have photos from moving an FX-1 stored, but all the stage models use the same methods. If you do use a van with the seats removed, putting down a 4' X 8' piece of thin plywood over the carpeting and seat fixtures in the floor is a real good plan.

Good luck with the move, and let us know how it goes. Take photos too. Feel free to ask if you have more questions; there is a vast wealth of organ knowledge represented on this forum between all of us.

Regards, Larry
                Attached Files
                Regards, Larry

Comment

Thanks, that info helps me a lot!

Yes the EX1 has an Aux Out, and even a eight-pin "7ch output" with all the sources separated (it will be perfect for mixing it, adding separate fx for each manual, etc). They are using Aux Out directly to the church PA amplification.

The photos of the EX42 going into the van are very clarifying, the method you used with the dolly is what we'll do. Months ago I built two strong furniture moving dollys when I bought the Electone D80, and they were very helpful.

I plan to move it in the next two weeks, I'll keep you updated and make plenty of photos of the operation

Thanks!
                  Carlos.

Comment

Hi all!

The EX1 is now at my parent's home, the move from it's previous location was a success, everything went ok We were a total of 4 people, and managed well to lift it to the small van, where it fitted very thight. It was very protected with towels and others.
                    When I fully tested it at home I saw many (expected) minor faults (keys, noisy controls, some malfunctioning rocker switches), but nearly all functions work ok... It was difficult to make photos of the loading to the van, as we needed to go fast (the church was busy with some ceremonies), but I did made them when arrived home.

The photos are added in my gallery

Thanks Larry, Geo and Frank for your help! you wer very helpful!

Regards,
                    Carlos.

Comment

Hi Carlos

Glad to hear the move went well. I just looked at your photos; it is in very nice condition ! I have one question though. The back side of the body is black on yours, is made that way from the factory, or did someone paint it ? I don't think I have ever seen an older stage model in black before. I've only seen them in white or ivory. Looks good either way, just wondering.

Regards, Larry
                      Regards, Larry

Comment

Hi Larry,

Thanks! It's made this way at factory, and also has what seems to be the original big Yamaha logo screeprinted. I didn't make photos of it's back side, but found this on flicker: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1154/...903529a99d.jpg

Next time I go to my parent's, I'll take some photos of the insides.

Kind Regards,
                        Carlos.

Comment

What I discovered after the first half hour of playing it, is that it's panel is so large, that one has to bend to move some controls.

I ordered the Service manual to Bill Greenhill and will soon begin to restore it...

Will keep you updated about this project.

Thanks!
                          Carlos

Comment

Well done Carlos! Glad to hear the move was successful. Bill Greenhill does good service manuals - if it is not an original manual, then the quality of the re-print should be excellent.

I hope you get lucky with this and that your issues are just due to years of dust and dirt in contacts. When I got my E70 3 years ago, it looked like it had just come from the factory! I've had zero problems with it since. Not bad for a 35 year old organ!

Frank
                            Hammond C3 & Leslie 122, Yamaha E70, Lowrey MX1

Comment

I've got an EX 1 - willing to sell it this year. It's in PERFECT WORKING CONDITION
                              Here's my post: http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...ghlight=yamaha

view all it's awesome features in detail here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn_5Mu5nbjs
                              Message me with inquiries.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X