This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Electone Identification

Does anyone know what model of Electone this is? I've never seen one quite like this. What do the unlabelled buttons on the lower left cheek block do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqVHJC8FCcCn2ghOBQp-ssK9ew~~48_20.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	608628

Thanks,
    Stefan
    Stefan Vorkoetter: http://www.stefanv.com

1962 Hammond M-111 with Improved Vibrato, Internal Rotary Speaker, Drum Machine,
    Window Seat Tone Cabinets, Completely Rebuilt Amplifier, and Recapped Tone Generator.
    1978 PAiA 1550 Stringz'n'Thingz with many enhancements.
    2017 Raspberry Pi organ-top synthesizer.

Not sure of number but from looks I'd put it early-mid 70's, I've never seen one before either.

Comment

Easy one! D2B, from 1967/68.

The four buttons at the lower left are manually played percussion sounds, like cymbals and bongos. (Can't recall exactly, must be around 40 years since I last played or sold one!)
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thanks Andy. It's not like I need another organ, but this one came up locally on Kijiji, and I was intrigued by it. After your identification, I found the user's manual on-line, and was reading about their Natural Sound Speaker, which is apparently a single speaker the size of the whole lower part of the organ. Do you recall any more details about that? I guess the idea didn't catch on!
        Stefan Vorkoetter: http://www.stefanv.com

1962 Hammond M-111 with Improved Vibrato, Internal Rotary Speaker, Drum Machine,
        Window Seat Tone Cabinets, Completely Rebuilt Amplifier, and Recapped Tone Generator.
        1978 PAiA 1550 Stringz'n'Thingz with many enhancements.
        2017 Raspberry Pi organ-top synthesizer.

Comment

RA keyboard amp had them, mine had this speaker and one rotory in it (RA60?), shaped like a grand piano or ear, you do see them on the older Yamaha organs. It is a very big speaker and sounded OK, just never caught on
          There is a newer Yamaha 70's spinet in London ON right now that likely has better sound and a rotory speaker like the one you re-puposed before.
          1956 M3, 51 Leslie Young Chang spinet, Korg Krome and Kronos

Comment

Those Natural Sound speakers are pretty good sounding actually. Here is a photo of the back view of one inside an E-5AR
            Attached Files
            Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2 ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

They did sound good. The idea behind the odd shape was that different areas of the speaker would vibrate at different frequencies, cutting down on intermodulation - I think! I guess it was too expensive compared to bog standard speakers, or maybe standard speaker quality improved around that time.
              It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
              Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
              Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
              Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Working...
              X