No announcement yet.

Technics Model History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes the ex models not great organ sound but did get percusion and piano sounds from G7 and almost same solo sounds, also got disk drive option, fantastic feature at the time. The EX70 was model to get, but the GX7 was much better and larger spec, rated much better than the yamaha HS models that seemed popular in later 80's.
    The E66 was more replacement for the U60 than U90, the G7 was really the U90's replacement, knocked both U90 and E66 into touch. Only area the G7 was not great was organ sound but back then if wanted hammond sound you bought a hammond !

Comment

The GX7 and GX5 were certainly very popular and the organ sound much better, although to be fair the organ sound of the EX70 was vastly better than the E66. The problem was more with the tremolo than the flute sound itself. I remember hearing the organ sound of a C600 (portable E66) through a Leslie and it sounded great.
      The E series models all seemed to have different tremolo systems, the E55 being the worst. I know modifications were made during years of production to try and improve the situation.
      The GX7 being totally pcm used sampled flute/organ sounds and in fact each flute combination was a different sample.
      Sadly the flutes took a step backwards on the GN series and had nowhere near the fullness of sound as the GX range.

Comment

Yes the GN range was not good organ sound, though EN/GN6 did improve it. Until the GA models I think the GX had best organ sound from any technics models, was the range they seemed to get almost everything just right on, shame no full console version of it.

Comment

Thank for the advice. But decided to buy a yamaha AR80 😊
          Organ: Wersi Xenios
          Keyboard: Tyros 3
          Accordion: Accordiola Piano V, Mascagnini

Comment

One more model as I used for exam before: GA2. This should be the last model released in around 1998, which is just the GA3 with full pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by gregp View Post
              Back in 1989 I was fortunate enough to be part of Technics dealer trip to Japan for the first Technics World Music Festival, this included a visit to the musical instrument factory and a Technics organ dealer and I've stumbled across some photos I took at the time. Apologies for the quality, but these pics are copies of the not very good quality originals!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20312[/ATTACH]

The second picture is of a concert style GX7 that was specially made for use at the festival.
              That GX7 still looks cool even now! B-)
              Organs: Yamaha D-85, Technics U90 Pro, Wersi Helios W2S, 2x Yamaha HS8's.
              Keyboards: Roland E-70, Yamaha Tyros 3.
              Retired: Technics K700.

Comment

Originally posted by tobeycat2007 View Post
                yes the F100 was console version.
                I just acquired an sx F-100 "Americana Edition" here in the USA. Where does the F-100 sit in the listing of Technics Organs? I sold my Lowrey Liberty to buy the Technics. I don't regret my decision at all!

Comment

F100 is simply the full console version of the G100 - the 'pretty' version of the FA1.

There were attempts by several manufacturers to make the instruments appear more 'American', with words like 'Americana' or 'American Classic'. From what I can see, these versions were minor updates, sometimes with extra factory set presets and 'style presets', to make them more appealing to Lowrey owners and buyers. Technics went further with the G100 and F100, putting the GA3 and FA1 into the cherry wood 'Lowrey-like' cabinets, adding some more 'organ' type styles and more factory presets to go with them. As I said earlier in the thread, there's nothing in a G100 that can't be copied to a GA3 - they are exactly the same beast under the skin.

As to whether there's a difference between a regular F100 and the 'Americana Edition', I can't say, but if there is, it won't be major.

Whatever the differences, you have an amazing instrument in the F100, I'd personally take it over the Lowrey Liberty any day. Have some fun with it!
                  It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                  Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                  Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                  Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

• NewTech
                    NewTech commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Funny you mention the Lowrey Liberty. I donated my old Lowrey Royale to a church in order to make room for a Lowrey Liberty that I bought. I was so excited to have a newer, top-of-the-line Lowrey organ but that excitement quickly ended soon after I started playing it. The sound quality was not near as pleasing as my Royale and I felt the Liberty was cumbersome to operate. I sold the Liberty after only about 5 months. I was "organless" for a good while until I stumbled upon a Technics F-100 in showroom condition at a local organ and piano store.. I continue to be impressed with this instrument especially with the theatre organ sounds and ease of operation! I am so glad I made the switch to the F-100.

All F100's had the Americana Edition name plate on the front of the console, and as Andy says, it was to make the organ more appealing to potential owners in the USA. It was the last console organ made by Technics (1997) and I don't think the F100 was actually sold in any other country.....but I might be wrong.
                  Even though the organ is more than 20 years old it's still a great instrument, and certainly easier for selecting individual sounds than the later larger Lowrey organs.

Comment

Is it easy to get parts for the F100? I heard a few youtube clips of the F100 and I actually prefer the organ sounds over my Roland 90SL
                    Chris Nabil - Owner of a Roland Atelier 900 Platinum.

Comment

No, it isn't easy to get major parts. W D Greenhill in the UK bought all of Panasonic UK's stock when they stopped making musical instruments, and added that to his own existing inventory but that was years ago and it's a case of 'when it's gone, it's gone'. You take a chance on anything over 10 years old. The tempo wheel is an achilles heel, but these were re-manufactured and are available.

The Technics has the ability to emulate Conn 652, Lowrey Coronation (1978), Gulbransen Paragon, Eminent 2000, Hammond Aurora, tonewheel Hammond (A100, I think) as well as theatre and classical organs. All sampling was done in the UK by two of my colleagues in the industry. It can also emulate several models of leslie cabinet. Out of the box, it's great. When you work at it and start adjusting this and that, it's even better.

Orchestral and solo sounds - a later Roland, especially an AT900 Platinum, will win out on those. And the Platinum has a lot of extra individual pipe organ sounds.
                      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

• sweet melody 79
                        sweet melody 79 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Many years ago I had a GA3 and I have always felt it offered some of the most realistic theater organ sounds even when put next to my Roland 90SL. I suppose it's because of the sampling that you referred to Andy. I really had no idea that the GA3 had samples from a Conn and Gulbransen of which I love both.

When I had the Roland 900P there is no denying that the theater organ sounds are very good indeed but I still like the tibia sound on the GA3 better. Personal taste I know!

Yes, the GA3 is very nice - for its age and the current prices. But modern Roland organs seem to be the better choice if money allows it...

I recently sold my GA3 in favour of an AT500. IMHO the AT500 is in fact superior to the GA3 in sound quality almost all over the place (no wonder, it is about 15 years more modern technology).

The drawbars + Leslie sounds are more authentic, the solo voices are far superior in some cases (guitar, saxophone, trumpet, grand piano, choir, voices, flute, harmonica, ...). The Theatre organ of the AT500 is just lovely. The reverb, respectively the overall transparency of the sound panorama is better.
                      A big plus is that you have two (or even 3) split points on the lower manual. The GA3 has zero. This is really a pity!

Maybe the BrassSection voice of a GA3 is nicer. And the synthesizer section of the GA3 is definitely better - more sounds, plus additional effects.

Certainly you can tweak the sounds much more on a GA3, but I did not often do that, because the default settings of the individual voices are the best most of the time as far as I can say. But I changed the Leslie settings for the Hammond sounds.
                      Some of the rhythms and styles of the GA3 were nicer than on the AT500.

I have recorded a video on youtube where I play a song with my Hammond Aurora, the GA3 and AT500 switching between the organs all the time. You can here how much better the AT500 sounds very well in this 1:1:1 comparison (Hammond organ sound and guitar).

Certainly I do not know how the older range of Roland organs sounds like, never played one.
                      Playing Hammond Aurora Classic, Technics GA3, Roland G800 & AT500.

Comment

• sweet melody 79
                        sweet melody 79 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No denying that the orchestral sounds on Roland are superior. It's very much like keyboards... no one organ does it all perfectly! Maybe I can push my wife to allow me to have two haha...

Also, does the FA1 or FA100 have a better speaker system? and is it easy to add speakers and if so which ones?

Comment

I have just asked some questions to someone on eBay about a FA100 it's about 250 miles from me asking $1900...

Comment

• auronoxe
                          auronoxe commented
                          Editing a comment
                          In Europe you would get a GA3 for 500-900€ (600-1100$) on Ebay (and for maybe 30% more from dealers). I haven‘t seen any FA100 lately, but consequently they should be more expensive. But $1900 could be a little on the expensive side ... in Europe. Maybe you could get some 10% off ;-)

We didn't have the F100 in the UK, but an English friend of mine who lives in NV has an F100 and and FA1, and having played both, I personally prefer the FA1. The F100 was Eq'd differently to give it a more mellow sound to appeal to Lowrey owners in the US, but personally I think it sounds a bit muffled.
                        In the UK, Technics modified the G100 to brighten the sound because dealers complained that the sound was too mellow.....and distorted on the first shipment.
                        I have to agree with Andy's comments about the sounds. The Technics does sound quite dated, and the theatre organ sound only comes to life if edited orchestral sounds are added to the tabs.There is quite a lot that can be done with voice editing to create theatre organ type sounds from the orchestral voices to add to the tabs, but there simply aren't enough tabs to create a big theatre sound without adding orchestral sounds.
                        However.....personally, I think the electronic tab and drawbar organ sounds are superb, even 25 years later, and the tremolo is different for every organ type, and fully editable.

Having said all that, they are still great organs........ at the right price.

Comment

Working...
                        X