Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between Roland AT90s and AT90sl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris
    commented on 's reply
    "It also has a lighted, sliding music rack and a pair of three inch speakers on each side with an additional twenty watts or so to drive them"

Sorry, this is not completely exact ... When looking the global US brochure, you understand that the 800 and 900 have exactly the same rated power output 240 W (10W + 10W + 60W + 60W + 100W), but the 900 has 2 x 2 additional side 2 inches tweeters, which improves a little bit the global rendering for external listeners ... but not for the player who is in front of the keyboards and can't listen to those directional speakers.

In fact, we know now that, except for the pedal board and those tweeters, 800 and 900 are EXACTLY the same organ. When upgraded with ATUPEX, they deliver EXACTLY the same features, and EXACTLY like a true Platinum.

For the question of side speakers, it is much more better to connect external SATELLITE speakers (only with ATUPEX) through an external amplifier, which will improve enormously the global rendering, also, this time, for the player. I have this installed on my 800 and can tell you this is outstanding, with a very enlarged stereo effect.
    Last edited by Chris; 07-17-2019, 11:49 AM.

• wilsons1003
    replied
    And talk about luck. A very nice gentlemen in Florida (Hi Kermit!), a member of of the Lowrey owners group was downsizing and had to choose between his Stardust and Roland 80SL (American Classic) ((very nice decal!!!)) and offered his Roland to the first person to respond for FREE. I jumped, then drove from Indy to within 100 miles or so of Miami and voila!! And it came with all the O'Lyn, Gene and Seth disks and the extra rhythm disks!! Love this little baby. It's just right to move for that rare gig. Would also love a 900 but FREE is hard to beat. Did I say "I Love My Instruments". Yes I did. My family however is somewhat indifferent. I'm in that room in back. Soundproof door. Stopped saying, HEY listen to this.... many years back. Wife of 36 years loves the Allen in the parlor. So I use the internals and projectors. When I move it, 4 channels and externals. But that little Roland packs a real punch. And yes, these are getting cheaper. Free was unheard of a few years back, now low prices prevail. Andy has mentioned several times, and I reiterate (it's the black tab buried in the volume settings, but not the flying hammer version?!) that using the RSS feed for powered rear speakers really makes a huge difference.

OK, organ humor is very subjective....

Leave a comment:

• tucsondave
    replied
    Done andyg.
    td

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    Could you copy me with that email and the disk copies please, td. It's a regularly asked question over here as S and SL models are sold and disks go missing etc.

Leave a comment:

• tucsondave
    replied
    I have several style disk files I can send you if you PM me an email address.
    2 American Classic for the Sl and some S diaks.
    td

Leave a comment:

• GWoodrum
    replied
    Thanks for you reply and the offer of assistance. I made the 4 hour drive from Gainesville, Florida to Fort Myers, Florida yesterday to inspect the organ. It is pristine and sounds wonderful. I looks and feels like it just came off the showroom floor. I took some of my 25 year old "You Are A Star" midi files with me and they never sounded better. Unfortunately, there were no style discs. There were 3 AT90sL's available in Florida on craigslist priced at $3900, $2000 and this one at $1500. I explained the 8 or 9 hour round trip delivery and that 2 movers quoted me $700 and $950. The manager said she would work with me on the price and I ended up paying $800 for the instrument. I'm very pleased with my deal. Now all that's left to do is find someone who want my SX-EA5 to make room for this beauty and get it home.

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    Probably difficult, but I really would not worry. I remember when one of my students had the upgrade from S to SL done. He never used any of the new styles - just not his 'thing'! I never used them either. Far more interested in the many extra sounds that were added, plus the digital drawbar system.

There are very few on-line groups dedicated to Roland Atelier, something that's always surprised me, and one or two charge subscriptions. Yikes! There is some support here, and I suppose they'd class me as one of the Atelier 'experts'. If you've got some questions, feel free to ask away.

Leave a comment:

• GWoodrum
    replied
    Thanks for the reply. This organ was donated to a Catholic Charity and none of the volunteer staff have any information about it's history Do you know how difficult it will be to acquire the additional style floppies?

Leave a comment:

• tucsondave
    replied
    The "L" upgrade will be built in via daughter boards. There were additional floppies to add more styles to a user storage area.
    Mine came with a defective daughter board and was loaded with "S" firmware. I was able to obtain the board and "L American Classic" firmware from Roland.
    td

Leave a comment:

• GWoodrum
    replied
    i'm going to look at a AT90S Luxury tomorrow. They told me there is on owners manual with it but not floppies. Should there be floppies for additional sounds and rythems or are they already in the organ?

Leave a comment:

• seamaster
    replied
    Originally posted by andyg View Post
    Sounds like you need a Wersi!
    Hasn't he suffered enough?

Leave a comment:

• Neumie
    replied
    Very cool. Thank you for posting this for me, Andy. I can discern enough when I hear it to know that's not a Wersi. A few more albums like this one and I should be able to recognize the sound. So now I know to YouTube pre-1973 Lowrey albums.

I do enjoy that sound, but I don't see ever owning either a Wersi or a Lowrey, especially older ones. I bought two Technics organs a few years back, a GA1 and an FA1, both from roughly the same vintage. And wouldn't you know it ... both of them have the exact same serious problems today, which I suspect has more to do with the age of the construction materials and not overuse. The tempo wheels are both shot and the reverbs on both make static.

As a result, today I'm gun-shy about organs more than a few years old, or organs that are uncommon in a given marketplace. (Compare the number of Wersi's for sale on eBay-Germany vs eBay-US. Even harder, here in California.) I really don't want to be the only guy on the west coast with a certain organ when the time comes for repairs. I can picture our local repair tech shaking his head and asking what a Wersi is.)

I also bought a screamin' expensive digital Hammond B3-P and after only a dozen or so years old, it required major service that cost a fortune. To boot, the most reputable guy to repair them was half-way across the US. I was so fortunate that a local organ fan flies him out every few years to service his many instruments and he let me piggy-back my repairs on the work he was having done.

Hence, my focus on buying an Atelier for my next instrument. Whether it makes Wersi sounds or not, repairs on the latest ones should not be that huge an issue for several years yet.

In fact, I've recently told the four ex-Roland dealers I'm in touch with (who still circulate among Atelier owners) that, at my amateurish level of playing, I would most likely never notice the difference between an AT900 Platinum vs an AT900 vs an AT90SL ... but that I would still happily pay more for the 900 Platinum just because it's five years younger and should most likely last that many years longer than any other organ in the lineup before needing repairs.

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    No problem. We have to make a distinction between old school Lowrey and the modern ones. The change came around 1973/4 when Lowrey started adding strings and preset sounds.

Roland's Lowrey sounds are just flute combinations and they sound a bit like the flutes do on this LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcmUTDrjR4g My old mate Jerry Allen getting the best out of a late 60s Holiday model.

Leave a comment:

• Neumie
    replied
    Andy,

I am intimately familiar with the sound of a Hammond, and I know the sound of a Wersi from many Klaus albums, but I have no idea what a Lowrey organ sound is. I just now YouTube'd "Lowrey Organ" and got such a hodgepodge of results ... demos, variations, way too many songs that are just piano/strings samples ... that I have no idea which of these is what pop organ fans would call a Lowrey sound.

If it's not asking too much, (and it probably is), can you please dial me in to a video that showcases what is commonly understood as a typical representative Lowrey sound?

-N

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    If you're after Wersi sounds, the Atelier will disappoint, as it doesn't really have any. Not what they were thinking of. Lowrey and Hammond are the two electronic organ variants, with the extra drawbar section being another Hammond clone. Might be a pop organ or two floating around in 'Others', but certainly not a Klaus sound.

Sounds like you need a Wersi!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X