This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bpsafran View Post
    About Lowrey styles vs. Yamaha. I own and play a Tyros4 and owned several Lowrey Genius models when they first came out in the late 80s. What I liked about the Lowrey styles - at the time at least - were that the patterns changed randomly, even if the chord type (major, minor etc.) did not change. The Tyros4 (and other keyboards) sometimes change patterns when changing from major to minor. But this does not happen in most styles - except for the introductions - and it is not a randomized process. Things therefore can sound more mechanical, even if the Tyros style is indeed well constructed. As a matter of fact, I remember reading the patent for the styles for the MX1. At that time, they did not change patterns randomly, but changed them depending on both the chord type as well as the chord root. I think there were 20 patterns per style segment. However, there were no special orchestrated introductions or endings and only two orchestrated variations.

I am curious if current Lowrey styles still modify the patterns in a random manner so if you, for example, play a C major chord, you will hear a few patterns that randomly change from one to the other? I think this would be a nice feature to have in keyboards such as Tyros and could be done by combining two or more similar styles and having the keyboard randomly choose the appropriate variation from each style in a random manner. That would make things more mechanical and not even require the writing of new styles - only the randomization algorithm.

Sam
    From memory the Lowrey styles don’t actually vary, however most are at least 16 bars (Some I believe are 24 bars) long, therefor on most songs there are very few repeats of a pattern during playing. (Hence sounding less mechanical)

Yamaha keyboards have always been criticised for having a small number of bars in each variation compared to other manufactures, thus creating the mechanical sounding effect. (If you look at most professional Yamaha players, they are constantly using the fill buttons to add variations)

Bill

Comment

Working...
    X