Yamaha Electone HX-1 as a MIDI Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Electone HX-1 as a MIDI Controller

I am interested in purchasing a Yamaha Electone HX-1. I have been told that it has MIDI for each keyboard, MIDI for the pedals and second touch on the keys. Is this console a good candidate for Hauptwerk and the Paramount 341/450 virtual organ set ups?

Yes. Each manual has it's own MIDI channel. The keyboards have "Aftertouch" which is the MIDI description. It's "channel aftertouch" meaning any key pressed harder enables it manual wide. There are some keyboards that have key aftertouch meaning each key can enable an aftertouch effect independently.

It also transmits Expression, Pitch bend, Modulation and knee lever.

Program changes are sent from the preset pistons. 16 pistons.

It has a 25 note pedalboard which is flat. I believe it also sends velocity through MIDI.

The Yamaha's are typically very robust instruments and the keyboards used are one of the best made in the industry.

Geo

Comment

I bought my HX-1 for that very same purpose. I never followed through because I found newer organs that had enough of the sounds I wanted built in. They're even sort of portable, although not enough, it turned out.
      Roland Atelier AT-90s, AT-80s, AT-70, 30, and 15. Roland VR-760 combo
      Yamaha S-90, Kurzweil PC-3x, Casio Privia PX-330, Roland E-80, G-70, BK-5, Leslie 760, 820
      Moved on:
      Allen 3MT/Hauptwerk, Technics GA1, Yamaha HX1, AR80, numerous Hammonds, including 2 M's, an L, 2 A-100's, XP-2, XM-1/1c, & an XK-3. Roland Atelier AT-30, 60r, 80, & 20r(2 units), and a slew of Leslies (147, 142, 760, 900, 330).
      Korg Triton Le-61, Casio Privia PX-310 & 110, and Kurzweils: PC-2x, SP-88, Pro-III, K1000

Comment

I recently acquired an HX-1 to use with Hauptwerk and am really pleased with the result. If you can get and then find a way to stack two of the two-manual controller/tone generator assemblies together without blocking the control panel of the lower assembly, then run each through separate MIDI ports (something like the Edirol UM-3EX), you can configure Hauptwerk to recognize Port 1 Channel 1 as the Solo, Port 1 Channel 2 as Bombarde, Port 2 Channel 1 as Great and Port 2 Channel 2 as Accomp! I also acquired an HX-3 with the MKX5 keyboard, but before then I solved the problem of 3 manuals in the Paramount 310 version but only two Yamaha manuals by programming Hauptwerk to assign the solo manual to the upper two octaves of the lower keyboard, and the Accomp to the remaining octaves of the lower manual. I also told Hauptwerk to transpose/shift those solo notes down by one octave to compensate for the location shift. My right hand could then reach down rather than up for a somewhat independent solo manual!

I've disassembled a keyboard out of an MKX5 to repair a key that wouldn't spring back up. It was simply a spring that had been dislocated, and by returning it to its original position, the key works perfectly now. After this many years, however, the sponge/foam material used to dampen the keys as they spring back was compressed on both units and the keys were very loud. I added a long strip of felt to this foam piece and all the manuals now feel great and are quiet! Opening up the keyboard is a little intimidating if you're not a DIY type, but if you are, the service manuals are a big help and available for free with some minimal searching.

Beyond sending keyboard data to Hauptwerk, I also programmed the Mod wheel to act as the crescendo pedal, and the 16 preset buttons to control Hauptwerk's pistons among other things. One thing I can't get Hauptwerk to process are some of the SysEx messages sent by the Yamaha--for example the foot switch messages. MidiOx verifies the Yamaha is sending them, and I've entered the correct hex codes into Hauptwerk (with the requisite start and end codes), but Hauptwerk refuses to respond to those messages. Has anyone else had this problem and/or figured it out? I'd love to be able to assign a foot switch to the Sostenuto control.

Comment

I have had no problem using the foot switches for the transposing of hauptwerk.

Comment

Hello there. I'm new in this forum. I'm considering buying a HX1 and I want to know, if there are some limitations in how many keys can be activated at the same time, when it comes to midi. I have an electone, can't remember the number, but it has its limitations. I did not use it with midi, but without I believe it was a max of 7 keys. I hope not with Hx1. Thanks

Comment

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              See if you can find an owner's manual online, and check for the term, "polyphony." Depending on how old the keyboard is, it could have 64-note polyphony (64 notes pressed at a time), or more or less.

Michael

• gregp
              gregp commented
              Editing a comment
              Unlike many keyboard instruments which have a total maximum number of notes of polyphony spread across all sound sections and accompaniment, Yamaha Electone organs have always had a limitation on the number of notes that can be played at any one time on each keyboard.
              I believe it is 8 per manual on the HX regardless of how many internal sound groups are used. Not sure if this applies when using MIDI, but my guess is it would be.

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Gregp,

Thank you for the correction. I know Allen organs have a similar limitation on their older instruments as well. For some reason, I thought the question was referring to MIDI compatibility rather than organ capability. Thanks again.

Michael

MIDI notes are not limited. Limits are on the tone generation of an instrument. If you connect it to an instrument with 16 notes maximum notes, then you get 16 maximum notes etc.

Geo

Comment

Thank you for all your answers. I want this organ to run with hauptwerk, so the question is only about midi. So as I understand, it can take whatever hauptwerk and my computer can handle, correct?

Comment

Hi Micsoe, yes your computer is the limiting factor regarding performance, when it comes to Hauptwerk. You will of course not have the full pedalboard, but 25 pedals is still nice.
                Did you end up buying the instrument?

Comment

Working...
                X