Battery location of Yamaha FX-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery location of Yamaha FX-20

I might have messed up that last post regarding batteries on a couple of organs, so I am doing this separately. Can anyone tell me if the Yamaha FX-20 uses batteries for memory? If so, can you tellm e where it/they is/are? I don't want to have a battery leak and damage the board. Thank you, Steven
    Steven C. Scott, Founder, CEO
    International Society for the Preservation of Historical Instruments
    2391 Porter Street
    Lebanon, Oregon 97355
    steven@isphi.org
    www.ISPHI.ORG
    sigpic

I am pretty certain that the FX-20 does not have an on-board battery. The organ has several power supplies and one is on all the time - it probably supplies voltage for memory retention, or there could be a capacitor that takes care of it.

Comment

Electone is correct. There are no batteries for the memory in the FX-20. Although I am not certain, I believe the memory is some sort of EEPROM. So, no worries about leakage on that instrument.
      Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

I take it you are speaking of the registration memories. On the FS and FX organs there is a battery soldered onto a pc board situated in the center between the two 61 note manuals (49 note in the case of the FS series).
        Lesterino

Comment

Thank you Lesterino ! I had no idea they had a battery. Sorry to give wrong information above. Now I will have to check all mine.

The RP-1 registration packs have a battery in them too. George from TX has provided good information about possible problems with those on this forum. It's worth searching out.
          Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

Hi All,

Since I have learned something from this thread ( there IS a battery in an FX-20, and I would figure my FX-1 as well ), I thought I would add some photos of exactly where it is. The other day I opened up my FX-20 to give a look, and it is right there where Lesterino said it's supposed to be. You need to hinge up the control panel, and both keyboards to access it, but on Yamaha's that is pretty easily done, once you have done a few of their consoles and know their style of how they put them together. Mine shows no evidence of leaking, and if it ever did, it is in a location that won't do much damage anyhow. But, for anyone who wants to replace it just for preventative reasons, here are the photos.
            Attached Files
            Regards, Larry

Comment

Are we certain that's not a super capacitor?

Comment

It is a battery

https://www.batteries4pro.com/en/rec...351235713.html
                Current Organ: Wersi Sonic OAX800
                Previous Organs: Wersi Verona, Wersi Beta DX401, Yamaha FE-70, Yamaha B-75N
                Previous Other: Wersi MAX-1, Wersi OX7, Korg N5, Yamaha DX27

Comment

Originally posted by Markr View Post
                  Cool, thanks.

Comment

I had thought my FS-30 had bit the dust.I am so glad to see the same problem I have, answered.I see the link to that battery says it is no longer available.What voltage does the battery need to be if I can do a workaround.

Comment

According to the schematic its a "1.2 x 2" Ni-Cad battery. That's for the FS-30. The FX used a lithium battery.
                      A cordless phone 2.4 volt Ni-Cad battery pack would be a workaround.

td

Comment

Thank you so much for the reply Dave,I really appreciate that.I notice the one in the picture is a 3 wire.I found a suitable battery on amazon but it is a 2 wire.Does that pose a problem?
                        Last edited by George Morley; 11-23-2019, 08:21 AM. Reason: Saving space

Comment

The battery itself is two wire. Just remove the battery from the circuit board and replace it with a new one.

td

Comment

Thanks again Dave,wished I'd paid more attention to the picture,my brain takes a little longer to grasp things,lol.I was able to download a service manual so looks like a good project for the coming week.Again thanks for your help and to Larry for the pictures.

Comment

Done the repair yesterday,took clumsy me about 2 hrs.but all in all was o.k.The fix did the trick.A few pics in case someone else has an FS-30.

Comment

Working...
                              X