Identify A Wurlitzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify A Wurlitzer

When I was in high school, we had a Wurlitzer in our theatre. I wonder if anyone can tell me the model based on this description?
    Foremost, it was an amplified reed organ. Circa 1956-1958? It was a full / large console.
    There was NO Leslie nor was there any reverb.
    It had two full manuals and a 32 AGO pedal board.
    There was a folding lid, and it had a round speaker above the pedals.
    There were three or four mixture tabs.
    Any idea what model it was?

This organ no doubt was a Wurlitzer 4602 model or it could have been the very large Wurlitzer ES 4800 model.

James
    Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

Thank you so much. It was a VERY large organ, so it was probably the 4800. Much appreciated.
      it had an expression pedal AND a crescendo pedal, too.

Comment

Originally posted by PlayerElectone View Post
        ....it had an expression pedal AND a crescendo pedal, too.
        Then it was the ES 4800. The 4602 only had an expression pedal.

Not quite right to call it an amplified reed organ, though. The actual sound of the reeds was never heard, let alone amplified. Wurlitzer went to great lengths to ensure you never heard the reeds! They were part of the electrostatic tone generation system, hence ES. There are many threads on the forum about these wondrous machines and how they worked.
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Working...
        X