This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrey TBO-1 - F I R E???

I've only been lightly using my TBO since I got it - but one time I left it on longer than normal (25 minutes or so) and walked into the other room - I heard a huge pop and bang, so I ran back into the room and was hearing all kinds of feedback, and started to smell a slight burning smell. I shut it off, and left it alone. Weeks later I started playing it again, and noticed it was distorting at lower volumes. I assumed something had blown in the amp section and figured I would have someone look at it eventually. Since it still worked fine at lower volumes, I continued to use it occasionally. Yesterday I played it for a longer period of time (25 minutes or so) and all of a sudden I heard a strange pop sound and smoke started to bellow out of the keys on the right side. I immediately shut it off and unplugged the unit.... I pulled the back panel off and strangely couldn't find any trace of damage or anything burning....??? I was surprised I couldn't find the source since there was so much smoke.

Should I assume this is likely an amp or power supply issue?
    1965 Vox Continental | 1974 Rhodes 88 | Lowrey TBO-1 Berkshire Deluxe | 1974 Minimoog Model D | 1960 Hammond B3 with Leslie 145

It's probably a power supply capacitor.

But I can't imagine continuing to use it after the first incident!

Comment

Originally posted by Spumoni View Post
      Should I assume this is likely an amp or power supply issue?
      No, you should not assume anything until you find the source of the problem. There is some 120VAC wiring in there for the Leslie speed control. It's wired to the right hand control panel. Hopefully it didn't come loose and short to something.

Hoping a problem is going to go away by not playing an organ usually doesn't work....
      I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

I agree, but the first time didn't seem really serious at all - especially compared to this time. I definitely won't be turning it on again until I can have someone with me that knows a little more. I DID notice the Leslie button was on, so maybe this is the source! Thanks for pointing that out...
        1965 Vox Continental | 1974 Rhodes 88 | Lowrey TBO-1 Berkshire Deluxe | 1974 Minimoog Model D | 1960 Hammond B3 with Leslie 145

Comment

Originally posted by Spumoni View Post
          I agree, but the first time didn't seem really serious at all.
          You said you heard a huge pop and bang, and smelled burning, the first time. All of those are signs of something serious. Electronics, whether old or new, don't go pop and bang and smell like fire if there's nothing seriously wrong.
          Stefan Vorkoetter: http://www.stefanv.com

1962 Hammond M-111 with Improved Vibrato, Internal Rotary Speaker, Drum Machine,
          Window Seat Tone Cabinets, Completely Rebuilt Amplifier, and Recapped Tone Generator.
          1978 PAiA 1550 Stringz'n'Thingz with many enhancements.
          2017 Raspberry Pi organ-top synthesizer.

Comment

Yes, you're absolutely right... I turned off all of the Leslie switches, and quickly turned the unit on and off. It's now making a loud hum/buzz noise, so I'm wondering if it's best for me to send the amp out to anyone that could repair it?

Comment

I have finally found someone that was willing to work on the amp (Ray Klos out of PA). He's been working on organs for over 50 years. I sent it off to him, and it was definitely fried. The problem is, we are having trouble finding a schematic for the amp. Can anyone point me in the right direction for one?

Comment

Working...
              X