Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two keys not working on Lowrey Celebration - Advice now needed on disassembly

Hello...just bought a used Lowrey Celebration c500. Two keys (C & E) on bottom keyboard don't work. Any gurus out there who can give me suggestions to repair?? I'm new to this forum, so be gentle, lol!

Just two dead keys sounds like simple key contacts. They may just come back with regular playing, if not you'll have to disassemble the organ to get to the contacts and then clean or adjust as required.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Yes, what Andy said. Just play and exercise those keys and hopefully they’ll come back to life. I can tell you that actually cleaning the contacts is very easy, but getting to them is a royal PITA! To get to the lower keyboard contacts you have to really do a lot of disassembly.
      Lloyd
      Lowrey SU-630 Palladium, Lowrey GX-1, Hammond Aurora

Comment

Thank you both...I'll just "exercise". I'll wreck everything if I try disassembling.

Comment

Lowrey Celebration 2 keys out...Help please

2 keys on bottom keyboard don't work. The organ only cost me $550. The organ repair guy quoted me 3 hours and $700 to repair. I tried compressed air but no luck.
          Can any give me a start on disassembling so I can get to the contacts? It would be soooo appreciated!!

Comment

Threads merged. Please don't start multiple threads on the same topic, as it just makes the replies harder to track!

Compressed air won't do anything apart from blow dust around. This is an old instrument with old style contacts. Tarnishing/oxidisation will most likely be the culprit, and that will have to be cleaned off. Or the contacts may have bent slightly.

As we said, play them in to see if that does the trick as it often does. If it doesn't, then is the time to start taking things apart.
            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Disassembly of c500 Lowrey Celebration

I don't know where my post went. I'm a newbie and paid $550 for a C500 Lowrey Celebration Organ. I have 2 keys on bottom keyboard that would don't work. Organ Repair guy's estimate is $700 !!! I tried compressed air when only one key wasn't working and, you guessed it...now there are 2 not working!
              Any clues on disassembling so I can get to the contacts to adjust or them??
              I'd sure appreciate your help to save the $700. Note: I'm a senior and not mechanically inclined...

Threads merged again. You didn't see your second post as it was merged with the first. Multiple threads and posts really don't work and mean more work for the team trying to sort them out and put them together. So no more separate threads on this topic please. Thanks. I've amended the thread title to reflect your request for disassembly instructions. Andy G
              Last edited by andyg; 04-04-2018, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Is there any I can provide in the future to help insure that key contacts don't have "dust" issues? Thank you.

Comment

It seems your "tech" just doesn't want to service it. I charge $130 for a (local) service call. If that's all that's wrong with it, that's all it would cost. Perhaps try finding another tech. The thing is this was Lowrey's largest organ in the late 70's. It is a very complicated machine and complicated to open. An experienced tech has a lot to do to get it open where the lower manual contacts are exposed. The problem may not be the contacts. It could be the "keying" on those keys which are electronic. It could be broken wires. Likely, it may just be the contacts need to be adjusted.

Geo

Comment

Originally posted by Davhol View Post
                    Is there any I can provide in the future to help insure that key contacts don't have "dust" issues? Thank you.
                    I said before, it won't be dust issues with these contacts. It's later instruments that use rubberised keying strip contacts are prone to dust.

Comment

Working...
                    X