Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland ATUPEX upgrade - bottom line and a warning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland ATUPEX upgrade - bottom line and a warning!

From the UK's last official Roland organ retailer.

...We have now sold every last one of the ATUPEX upgrades and Roland have discontinued it as a product. I have been told by Roland UK this is now discontinued worldwide and I would imagine there are none left at all anywhere.

BEWARE: We've had reports of AT800/900 users who purchased the ATUPEX upgrade and then subsequently installed what they believed to be the latest firmware update only to find that it “reversed” the instrument to the previous non-upgraded ATUPEX version. There is no undo and of course, now there is no ATUPEX available to purchase in order to upgrade it again!.....
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

So you’re saying that the ATUP-EX upgrade cannot be reinstalled on its original instrument after a disaster such as you describe. That’s not very good and surely computer programs can be reinstalled on their original machines. And don’t such programs normally warn you if you are trying to install an older version than the one you already have.

However good their organs, that’s put me right off Roland.
    Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
    Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

I agree, and if I'd done that and had that result I'd be feeling very aggrieved if I couldn't then re-upgrade. From a technical point of view, there's absolutely no problem, Roland obviously still have the data and could easily supply replacement USB sticks. However, there would have to be firm proof of purchase of the original organ and the upgrade. I can't see that as a problem either, though it would possibly open the door for an unscrupulous owner to claim that this had happened, get a replacement and sell it on. I could see that this would have to be installed by a Roland approved engineer who would have to check that the upgrade was being applied to that particular organ.

I put the response there as a warning that anyone with an upgraded 800/900 should not attempt to update the firmware (which may not have actually been the appropriate update, for all we know).

Roland are well-known, certainly in the UK, for excellent customer service and back up. I think that if sufficient (legal) excrement hit the air conditioning over this, there would be a speedy and appropriate resolution. I'm also wondering what would happen in the case of a main board failure in an updated 800/900, as the update would presumably have to be installed again. Again, I'm sure that Roland must have thought of this. Next time I speak to someone from Roland, I'll ask, but it may be something that's dealt with higher up the ladder.

That said, I'm not updating the firmware in mine (which should be the last revision anyway).

Your'e right to say that apps and drivers will usually flag up that they're about to overwrite a newer version, or simply refuse to install, but I've come across cases where the wrong, or old, firmware has been loaded into a device, with no such warning and the device has then been permanently screwed up.
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

I’m thinking that anyone buying an AT800 or 900 with the Platinum upgrade is in dangerous territory and needs some reassurance that there has not been a subsequent firmware update. This could pose a problem if the seller has not been the only owner.

Would it be obvious to the owner that a firmware update had returned the instrument to its pre-ATUP-EX state or could he be ignorant of the fact? I presume it would not be immediately obvious to the buyer unless he had considerable knowledge of the differences between an upgraded instrument and a non-upgraded instrument and could apply some test.

The phrase ‘caveat emptor’ springs to mind.
        Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
        Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

It will be very obvious. Upgraded instruments display 'Platinum Edition' on the startup screen.

Comment

Good Morning Guys
            Tatro Trade are still showing the ATUP-EX as available at an amazing price of £377......

http://www.tarotrade.com/component/v...ail?Itemid=278
            Wersi OAX600 Adam T8V Speakers T10s subwoofer

Comment

That's interesting! I guess he's bought up the last remaining stocks. But no English instructions (anyone out there who's done the upgrade care to scan and upload for us?) and I'm a bit wary about what he says in his last comment. You can apply the upgrade to an AT900, sure, to an AT900 Artist too, but you wouldn't want to apply it to a Platinum anyway, so why mention it?

Caveat emptor as always, but I personally know of people who have bought from him with no problems.

Comment

Hi Andy
                On the Roland.com website under support then legacy product info ,go to owners manuals (A-G) and the ATUpEX manual can be downloaded here.
                Best wishes
                Colin

Comment

Hi All

Have sent email to Taro to see if he has any in stock.....he has replied that he needs to check with his supplier and will get back to me

Bet the answer is no

Cheers

Mark

Comment

I assume his supplier is a Roland dealer, or 'Roland Australia' and I also think the answer may be no.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                    Hi Andy
                    On the Roland.com website under support then legacy product info ,go to owners manuals (A-G) and the ATUpEX manual can be downloaded here.
                    Best wishes
                    Colin
                    Cheers! :)

Comment

I will let you all know when he gets back to me

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Hi All

Taros got back to me......his supplier has the updates in stock.......price with delivery to U.K. £460:00. A bargain.....don’t know how many he has though......seems very efficient and professional service

Cheers

Mark

Comment

That's a hell of a lot less than the original cost!

Comment

My s/h at900c is being delivered next week is any of this above relevant if I were to install atup-ex upgrade from tarotrade?

Does it matter what revision the organ or software is, or can I just buy and install and hope things don’t go belly up during the install procedure?

The organ is under 2 year warranty from allensmusiccentre, but have contacted them to ask their views, as don’t know if warranty would cover this, and/or whether they have the resources to repair a corrupted at900c (according to install instructions on tarotrade website this catastrophe could happen should install procedure not complete successfully there is a chance of this).

Am also emailing Dan at Roland on this.

If I can’t get a uk support helpline in advance for which I would happily pay for, I’m not going to be purchasing it!
                            Last edited by toneharb12; 05-11-2018, 08:20 AM.
                            Have owned more instruments in the last fourty years than I can count on my fingers AND toes.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC8qRILdh96HOzptwL42rOvQ

Comment

Andy, mine doesn't display this way. This is the question I asked you a few months ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X