This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wersi Arcus Error

This is my first experience with a Wersi and I need a Wersi Doctor ...

I recently acquired a Wersi Arcus CD45 and when I power it up, I get a "39:00 Hardware Error No Voice Executable" error. Unfortunately, all the manuals that I have been able to find on-line are in German and there seems to be no troubleshooting sections with error codes in them anyway. (Eprom shot?)

I re-seated all the boards, many of the IC's, connectors, etc. that I could, and I tested the 3 on-board batteries. They were initially dead but after several hours of power-up they recharged and so far they are holding. When I hit the flashing exit button it looks like it is ready to play but no sound. Display works, switching to different modes or setups work. The rhythm section works but the volume on it is low and the rhythm control volume doesn't seem to do anything to boost it. Plug in a microphone and it works as it should. It seems the effects section is working as I can partially hear different effects in the background noise when I change them.

If I can't get any sound out of it I'd like to at least use it as a midi controller, but when I go to the midi setup, I get a "36:02 WersiMatic not working command ignored" error. If I go to the WersiMatic editor, it throws a "36:01" wersimatic not working error.

Any thoughts, ideas? Should I just strip it for parts. I suppose I could make something out of the key beds, and it did come with a 25 note pedal board. Hmmm.

Thanks in advance,

Joel

If the manuals are in PDF or DOC (MS Word) format, then type PDF (DOC) into Google (Or other search engine) and you will get a number of sites that translate the files online for free.

Sounds like corruption due to a flat battery, try removing all the Ram chips and then re-inserting them to make sure they are totally clear, there should also be a re-set, initialise (Or similar setting) in the settings menu to get back to factory settings.

If the above fails, contact Peter Armitage http://www.wersi.uk.com/ who is the expert on these models.

Bill

Comment

Thanks for the response Bill. I tried what you suggested to no avail. Contacted Peter and he suggested I look on the Master and Co-master boards around where the batteries are for corrosion. It was there as expected, but these batteries were replaced professionally at some point so it must have worked after that and no fresh leakage. I metered out all the traces and they seemed intact. For having every single IC in a socket, what exactly were they thinking when they direct soldered batteries onto the board?

The manuals I have are all scanned images so I cannot import them into a translator program and at this point it's not worth it to use OCR. You'd think there would at least be an error code list somewhere. This may have to go to the dump ... I'll keep the Fatar keybeds though and assorted other parts I guess. Frustrated. Loving my Kawai even more at this moment. A new found appreciation.

Thanks again,

Joel

Comment

Hello Joel, there is a thread about a similar problem on a german blog. They also mainly talk about possible problems of the many connections between the boards and not well seated ICs... Maybe you can translated it...

https://www.musiker-board.de/threads...roblem.513378/
        Playing Hammond Aurora Classic & XE2, Hohner E3, Roland G800 & AT500.

Comment

Thank you auronoxe,

I had found that thread a couple of days ago and translated it. I suppose I'll go through the system a little more thoroughly and see if I can bring it back to life. Just wish I had a more targeted error code list to figure out which board/eprom where the actual "Voice Executable" was located. It's got to be on the Main master board or the CO-master board and their associated ROM/RAM. I'll dig further before I give up ...

Thanks again,

Joel

Comment

This a regular problem of Wersi CD series of this age
            The batteries on my Arcus leaked and corroded the MST 8 and co-processor board. The boarfs can probably be saved. The green rust needs to be got fully rid of. I suggest you soak the green rust area in lemon juice. Yes that's right Lemon juice. Thus will kill of the corrosion you may then need to use a fine cocktail stick to remove any left. You may need to do this a few times. Then get a magnifying glass and check the tracks on the board. Any breaks will need resoldering. This not a big job but if you are unsure then I suppose Armitage is your bet. Replace the batterys. I can send you a copy of a user manual if you send me your email
            Good luck. They are worth repairing
            A very big sound in my opinion.

Comment

Quick Up-Date: IT's WORKING!!!! WooHooo!!!

To a degree anyway. I was just about at my wits end and ready to dismantle to make a new creation. I went over more of the German Wersi forums on CD organs in general and I found one were a guy had a different problem and solved it by disconnecting the Memory Tower ribbon cable. Figured I had nothing to lose and Voila!, the system booted properly and works like a charm! Google translate is a beautiful thing!

Now I'll look at the Memory Tower board/ribbon cable connections more closely to see if there's anything amiss, but if I can't get that working, no big deal. All the regular sounds work as well as all midi functions. It sounds pretty nice and the midi works as expected. Love the feel of the Fatar keybeds. It came with a Pegasus Expander so I have all those sounds as well. It also came with a pair of TS-5001 speakers in excellent shape and they sound nice with it. Not too shabby for trash pickin'!

Still to do: Need to replace the flaky relay on the amp. - $7.20, a couple of taps with the head of a screw driver and it works. It's a sealed relay so I can't just open it up and clean the contacts. It came with a 25 key pedal board and those contacts need cleaning. Have to figure out if I can clean up the flexible spring contacts or replace them. Strange setup for sure.

It will never replace my SR7, that's my baby, but all in all ... a beautiful thing. Thanks for all the help ...

Joel
              Last edited by JoelHof; 04-30-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Love a story with a happy ending.

They're nice little organs.

Comment

Congrats. Glad you got it working. Imagine how easy this fix was after all. (Begin of pathos) One working organ more in this world of madness is reason for happiness galore (end of pathos).

Comment

One more step for organ kind ...

Got the Memory Tower working! On the MT1 board IC3, an HC245 bus transceiver is defunct. This connects to the 8 data lines coming off an external card inserted into the slot. Must be screwing up the data bus from the Tower. Popped that baby out and TADA!, I have all the added sounds of the MemTower. I can't use a Memory card in the system, but I don't have any and don't plan on getting any either. An additional $0.59 to replace. Hmmm. Pick it up when I order the relay?

ROM banks 5-8 work like a charm adding 20 additional presets each plus rhythms and all different instruments. WOW! RAM banks 1-4 give me an error of not being formatted so I guess I can't save additional custom presets. Don't know how this works, system parameters for this aren't straight forward, and the manual I have is in German. It's a scanned PDF so I can't cut and paste the instructions in a translator, and I'm not about to type it out manually.

Either way, a beautiful thing ...
                    Last edited by JoelHof; 05-01-2018, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Hahahaha ... got the RAM formatted. Took the English parts out of the German manual. Just enough info ... Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by JoelHof View Post
                        Don't know how this works, system parameters for this aren't straight forward, and the manual I have is in German. It's a scanned PDF so I can't cut and paste the instructions in a translator, and I'm not about to type it out manually.
                        Ha! I remember people building Wersis from scratch using construction manuals written in German. So quit yer whining. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by seamaster View Post
                          Ha! I remember people building Wersis from scratch using construction manuals written in German. So quit yer whining. :-D
                          Then again, English is just another Indo-Germanic dialect. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by seamaster View Post
                            Now that's just funny :D - Ya do what ya gotta do ... Mein Deutsch ist scheiße

Comment

Originally posted by JoelHof View Post
                              Mein Deutsch ist scheiße
                              A fine and noble American tradition, sir. Who could forget Kennedy's "I am a doughnut"? :D

Comment

Working...
                              X