This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrey Teenie Genie Common Issues?

Hi, I'm new here, and I have this Lowrey Teenie Genie that died on me a few years ago.

What I would like to know is, what are some common issues with these?

Could it be just a single piece gone bad, or could it be something with the entire organ.

I know its just a fun-machine organ, but it would still be nice to get it working again.

Any references would be a huge help, thanks!
    (Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

Died is too vague, what happened?

It could be anything, power supply, generator chip.... Some parts are now unobtainable, of course.

To be honest, I'd open it up and see if there's anything obvious and simple, like a blown fuse inside. If not, you're working in the dark and I'd say goodbye to it. If you want a Teenie Genie, you can still find them on Ebay for free or for pennies, so it's not worth spending much on it. If you just want a 'fun machine type organ' to play, there are probably better ones out there, also free or thereabouts.

Open it up, report back and we'll help if we can, or advise you on Plan B!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
      We'll help if we can, or advise you on Plan B!
      I am standing by to advise Plan B.

Comment

Originally posted by seamaster View Post
        I am standing by to advise Plan B.
        Seamaster if you ever get lost at sea - your plan B will be a beacon for rescue .... :->

To the OP: Andy has given you the rundown on those. They were nice and still are when they work but not worth bothering to try and fix. Even if you do get it to sound again, something else may go and as Andy said, parts are difficult or impossible to obtain. Having said that, if it does turn out to be a power supply issue, I may have a complete power supply from a TLO - probably won't fit and too expensive to get to you, depending on where you are located, but there....

Maye be better to look for something in working condition if you really want to get into a spinet again...

Nico
        "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request... B-)

Comment

As for the "died" part, it made a popping noise and then never turned on again, no power to the unit at all.

I'll take a look at the back and see if there's anything obvious. All else fails, ill trash it and find something better, lol. At least it only costed me 35$ when it did work, I now know that that's too much for one of these, but at least I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it.

Thanks for the quick reply by the way, really nice first impressions!

Comment

No worries, let us know what you find if you start looking for another organ and we'll give you all the info you need :)
            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Never actually got around to looking at it, but there's a Kimball Camelot which I'm gonna give a shot soon. So i'm probably gonna trash the lowrey. Even though I have a few good memories with it, right now it servers as a nice wooden paper weight, and a table. If the Kimball doesn't work out, I'll start looking for something else lol. The Kimball is on sale at a goodwill, and its not too far away, so I thought, "eh why not, its there and its cheap." I'll give an update on it once I get it home, as long as its not already sold lol.

Comment

When you trash the Lowrey, that's where Seamaster's "Plan B" comes it. Small amount of petrol (gas) and a match required! :)

The Kimball, if fully working, is capable of making some very decent sounds, it's more of an organ than the Teenie Genie could ever have been. Hope it all works out.

Comment

Went to check it out, everything worked, but unfortunately, i don't think i have room for it, even if i got rid of the lowrey (its still sitting there lol) and its also too heavy. I asked my parents to see if they could help me lift it, but it was too much for the three of us. Maybe we're just weak, lol. At the end of the day, I think i'm just going to have to go without it, and maybe look for something smaller.

Comment

Well I've made room for it by getting rid of the Lowery and an additional piano that was starting to go out on me, (felts were messing up, sustain was on its way out, and overall bad sound) and i think im gonna see if i can get a piano/organ mover to help me out with it. One thing i noticed about the Kimball is, the whole thing sorta vibrates whenever its on, did the Camelot have a built in Leslie or could it be something else? I'm just worried that the weight is gonna add a lot to the cost of moving it. Does anybody have (or used to have) the Camelot? It seems like an okay organ, (its no B3 or anything but,) and I feel like I can get some good use out of it.

Comment

It has a leslie or a clone rotary trem. Should be a slow/fast switch somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X