This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackpool Keyboard Cavalcade 2018

Don't know if anyone on here made the event this week but my goodness how it has changed regretfully. A much smaller event now with just a couple of traders exhibiting Korg and Tyros...sorry Yamaha keyboards. Entertainment was so so and the usual faces from the 90's with the addition of DirkJan on Bohm and Ms Hirchfield of the Wersi fame which were a welcome lift.

A last minute addition dealer wise was the appearance of the only organ on sale thanks to Musicworld of Northampton that being the Viscount Legend KeyB. I sat playing it for a time really enjoying the realistic Hammond sound and all those drawbars. Its a fine instrument and that sound most of us love so thank you Musicworld for brining it as well. Quite a few pros popped in to play it as the event was open doors due to not being wrist banded and we had a minor jam going on Tuesday which was perhaps the unofficial highlight for me.

Claudia was playing what I believe was the latest of the Wersi organs which sounded a bit thin to me but it could have been the Yamaha speakers they used. We really enjoy DirkJan on that Bohm 480 and he explained its due to go in for a rebuild and update so it will be interesting to see what he gets back touch screen and all.

The highlight for me was getting to play the Viscount KeyB Legend have to say and what a fine instrument it was.
    HAMMOND XE200 Special Edition

Thanks for the report. Agree the Legend sounds great. And the romantic in me likes the idea of Italy still making organs.
    Last edited by seamaster; 05-18-2018, 04:24 AM.

Comment

The Tyros has long gone, its Genos now.
      According to the adverts Music Traders (Orla/Ringway/Bemore) was supposed to be there, did they not turn up, as it would have been nice to get a 3rd party opinion of the Bemore.
      DirkJan must be going for the Sempra upgrade which should be interesting, I wonder if he will also go for the cloud studio.
      Thanks for posting your report; it’s always good to hear a number of different opinions.

Bill

Comment

Any news on the apparent demise of Wersi Direct? Assume Claudia was there representing Allens?

Comment

Hi all :-) Bill you wouldn't think Tyros was dead if you had seen them on sale and the myriad of owd folk trying to play Tyro files on Geno. I must admit I did find it funny as quite a few were unable to play the older files for some reason but the labour of love to try and get them going turned into a mission particularly as they had a Geno for the talent show. Felt for a chap who loaded USB file wouldn't take to the new box but eventually it did albeit in another key than he was playing in. Les Dawson lives!

Nice to see DirkJan again as we had only seen him a few nights before as well at a gig with a similar programme but still enjoyable on that Bohm. We will all be looking forward to see what they do to his instrument a little later when he is away on hols and returns.

Nothing said on the Wersi issue Sea but I'm sure it will all come clear in the future.

I should have mentioned some of the organs that favoured the stage along with the Genos presence as well. We had Mr Stace and one of his collection of Yam HX1's. A rather beat up Roland, Yam AR100 stripped into some MDF and painted white to make it lighter think that was about it.

No Music Traders as we were told Paul was poorly so hope he feels better soon which is why the Viscount KeyB appeared I believe and most welcome to quite a few people to have a go on it. Would have been nice to have a Bohm there again but not to be.

Took some pictures so will sort those later.

Comment

The last time I saw Claudia she was still playing the Louvre snd extolled the fact that it was very reliable. I suspect thst was code for saying OSX isnt and Im sticking with OAS for now.

I wonder what the average age if us all on here is? The last time I went to a festival I reckon other than the organists playing I was the youngest there, and Im 53😣

The truth is the organ is an an older persons instrument. I doubt it will ever revive. Most of today's top 40 you couldnt play on an organ so why would young people buy one. When I was a teenager nearly every week I would go and get the dots for the latest hit. Its not possible now.

I think the best thing to do is enjoy what we have, older organs are plentiful and cheap. We can discuss issues and our shared love of the organ. Revival will need a miracle and even the church is incapable of that. Christianity is in terminal decline. Most of us on this forum will be dead in 40 years time. Enjoy the one way ticket. Dont wish fir the old days. They've gone.

Comment

There are those, and I don't just mean us oldsters, who would say that most of today's Top 40 is unplayable, full stop! R&B and rap (may have mis-spelled that last word!) don't readily translate to solo instruments, though higher end keyboards (and no doubt the Wersis and Bohms) can manage a good crack at some of it.

I do get some of my youngsters playing some of the more melodic stuff on keyboard, but it's interesting that my most advanced two at the moment (Grade 7 coming up) are more into music from the 40s through to the 90s, plus classical. I had one young lady student who described herself as a 'retro chick', and she was really into 1960s music. She transferred from piano to organ, would have been brilliant at it, but then went off to Uni before we could really get her going on the instrument.
              It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
              Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
              Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
              Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

I agree Andy, I have a 17 year old daughter who only listens to this rap stuff, however when she was playing Piano (before she stopped) she preferred playing classical to anything else, but would never listen to it. What I find now is that anything I hear in the top 40 that I think would sound nice on the Wersi tends to be a cover of something originally done a few decades ago. One that’s immediately springs to mind is the Paloma Faith song from the Skoda TV advert, which turned out to be a 60’s song originally recorded by Cass Elliott of the Mamas and Papas.
                Current Organ: Wersi Sonic OAX800
                Previous Organs: Wersi Verona, Wersi Beta DX401, Yamaha FE-70, Yamaha B-75N
                Previous Other: Wersi MAX-1, Wersi OX7, Korg N5, Yamaha DX27

Comment

I was 45 earlier this year, and haven't met anyone younger than me for whom electronic organ is their first/primary instrument. I guess I was an oddball as a learner though, because even in my teens all I wanted to play were easy listening numbers Wunderlich-style. Imagine a kid coming to you today asking to learn organ to play that stuff. You'd have him sectioned.

Comment

Originally posted by seamaster View Post
                    You'd have him sectioned.
                    Maybe not.....

Rye Wurlitzer Acadamy has a great bunch of youngsters playing theatre organ. They're all loaned a home organ to practice on - mid range Yamahas and the like - in addition to having lessons on the 2/5 Wurli in Rye. They also play electronics in their own right, some to a very high standard. So they're playing theatre style, plus easy listening, plus their own arrangements of music from movies, shows etc. Can't see any of them wanting to play R&B, drum and bass or rap, though! :D

So that kid would be welcomed with open arms!
                    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

seamaster,

I'm just a few years older than you. I turn 49 next month. I started my musical journey with the organ in 1982. (See here for a brief story of how I started playing the organ.) I still consider organ my primary instrument although I do play piano and arranger keyboard. If I'm going to play for just enjoyment, I always choose organ.

Later,
                      Allen

Originally posted by seamaster View Post
                      I was 45 earlier this year, and haven't met anyone younger than me for whom electronic organ is their first/primary instrument. I guess I was an oddball as a learner though, because even in my teens all I wanted to play were easy listening numbers Wunderlich-style. Imagine a kid coming to you today asking to learn organ to play that stuff. You'd have him sectioned.
                      Currently own: Roland Atelier AT-90, Yamaha 115D, Roland DP-90SE, Yamaha PSR-S910

YouTube Channel

Comment

Oh dear I'm older than all those ages posted Oh Moother. Nice to read the stories of how people got into organs in my case thru pas band and growing up with a Hammond in the house when not sat in the van for the next gig. Inevitably I started to tinker around 7 years of age when I had hair. Soon joined the band picking up the guitar as we expanded also to transporting two organs, cabinets, my gear, drums & PA clobber often up and back down the dreaded 5 flights of steps at a regular venue. Still enjoy playing traditional numbers and cant really embrace the slap jazz which is popular today on Hammond.

Comment

Working...
                        X