This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technics GA3 and G100 octave problems

I have read the manual repeatedly but cannot get the lower manual to change from 0 to + 1 octave as I find set at normal the auto accompaniment is rather "muddy" a one octave increase is much better.

I know one answer is to play an octave higher but it does tend to have both hands almost on top of one another.

Using Sound Edit and than General Edit I have set the octave on the lower manual setting to + 1 and pressed Write but even then playing a note on the lower keyboard it is obvious it has not increased, I even raised it to +2 with no luck. And it does show the new octave setting in the general display.

Although it does not actually mention this,but I am assuming I am raising the entire keyboard an octave but it did occur to me that it could only be only raising whatever is " switched on " at the time such as a solo instrument in any of the sound sections.

But I strongly suspect that I may be missing the obvious somewhere, can anyone help please ? Ken

On the GA3 or G100 it is not possible to alter the octave setting of the auto accompaniment.....I don't think it is on any organ.

Auto accompaniment styles are usually not affected by which octave, or which inversion of a chord you play on more modern organs. On older organs that really only had rhythmic chord strumming style accompaniments the pitch did change according to where the chord is played because they strummed the actual notes that were being held.

The process you mention of using Sound Edit, is only adjusting the octave of the individual sound you have selected and is used to create an edited version of that sound which is stored in a sound edit button.

The easiest way to alter the octave of the orchestral sounds is by using the Sound button in the tray on the left to access the Part Setting menu (page 123 in the manual).....you need to adjust the keyshift function, which is in semitones.
    It is possible to alter the octave setting of any orchestral sounds on the lower manual, but you would need to store this in the presets otherwise as soon as you press another preset, the octave setting will revert to normal. On Technics organs there isn't an overall octave control, it is separate for each sound section, (sound 1, 2 and 3)
    Last edited by gregp; 06-02-2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks gregp , Sorry I think I misled you a little , I did not want the auto accompaniment raised just the lower keyboard sounds as they do help on occasions but thanks because it has answered the question that the whole lower section cannot be raised en mass, I obviously did not have the correct sound section enabled when I was checking if the change had taken place and with not saving at the time I would have wiped the setting anyway ! . Ken

Comment

• auronoxe
        auronoxe commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Ken, you can use „Sound Edit“ / „Easy Edit“ / „Octave Shift“. Select the respective voice before.

Where on the lower manual are you playing your chords, Ken? You should be positioning them around Middle C - 3rd C up, including the lowest C note. If you're playing them an octave lower than that then, yes, the sounds will be muddy as they're not meant to be played there. I've taken on a few self taught organ students over the years who have played chords low down as playing with hands close together felt 'odd' to them, and complained of the muddiness. I explained that 'odd' was in fact 'normal' and got them to change. It never took too long for them to adapt.

The alternative is to play low and then never use an 8' stop (that then excludes all the 8' flutes and all the 'extra' Conn and Lowrey voices that go with those two organ emulations). And you'd have to use the +1 octave on very voice you use in the other, non-organ sections, every time, saving it all to registrations as you go.

And yes, the auto accompaniment merely 'reads' the notes you play, wherever you play them. C E and G will always produce the same C chord pattern, however you play it.
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Have you come from an arranger keyboard or a single manual organ, as due to the limitations of a single manual you have to play the lower voices an octave lower to prevent the hands interfering with each other? (Also the left hand voices are automatically raised an octave to compensate)
        With a dual manual organ this limitation does not exist so you can play with your left hand under the right hand, (the correct way to play an organ) without any interference.

Bill

Comment

Good point, I was thinking about that last night after I'd gone to bed, but wasn't going to get up again to add it! :D

Piano players sometimes do the same, having spent much of their time playing with hands further apart.
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Post about GA3/G100 issues moved to its own thread. Andy G

Comment

Not that it will help Ken, but on the Yamaha AR series when using split lower manual you can set the instrument to play the notes to the left of the split point one octave higher to avoid muddiness.
              Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
              Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

Working...
              X