Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Style thumb drives for Roland BK-7m work on Atelier?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style thumb drives for Roland BK-7m work on Atelier?

There's an ~$22 thumb drive listed on eBay claiming to contain thousands of unique styles for the Roland BK-7m, in .STL format. Is that what the Atelier uses? Has anyone tried one on an AT-900?
    Current: Roland AT-900/ATUP-EX, Rodgers 340 Century, Wersi CD700T Spectra
    Past: Rodgers 321 Trio, Conn 552 Theaterette, Hammond RT3/122/HR40, Thomas/Heathkit GD-325D, Hammond S6

Style discs (And now USBs) with thousands of styles have been around for ages for all manufactures instruments, however, most are just poorly converted styles from other manufactures instruments as well as a stack of the same style with just minor modifications, so all you will end up with in the end is one or two styles out of the thousands that will suit what you want, so they are best avoided. (Pay the extra and stick with reputable style manufactures if you really want more styles, or just create your own from what you already have)

Bill

Comment

I concur. A $5 thumb drive (or cheaper!), a few moments to copy across the styles and a $17 profit. And usually a disappointed customer for the reasons Bill mentions.

There is a collection out there called Roland Gigastyles. Not cheap and poorly indexed - the styles all have numbers, and there are Excel spreadsheets to tell you which number is which style. I have this collection but rarely use it. If I had more time - make that MUCH more time - I'd start renaming the ones that interest me and saving them onto a new thumb drive.

I also have EMC Styleworks style conversion software. So I can take just about any style and convert it for the AT900. Does it work? Technically, yes it does, but the results out of the box are OK but not spectacular. Some further time needs to be spent rebalancing and revoicing the styles to sound good.

So, yes, pay for the quality brands - there are lots of 'song specific' styles out there, for example and they are great, albeit just for the one song - or edit and tweak the ones in the Roland. I don't find this particularly user friendly on the AT900 but there again, I probably would do if I used the feature a bit more.
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Working...
      X