This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " Sound Advice" sought an Audio problem

Audio Keyboard and Organ “Sound advice” sought.

As brief as possible, I use a keyboard for the much better range of auto accompaniments than that of the organ and connect them both to a common ( home made ) junction box with 6 pairs of phono connections which also accommodate the monitoring headphones and outlet to the computer for recording .
    The organ is used for the melody and the keyboard for the backings.

I take the sound outputs in both cases from the headphone sockets the reason being most Aux circuits in Organs and keyboards can be inadequate and always give low volume, also I do not play with the speakers enabled anyway as we live in a very small bungalow.

I have had this set up for some years with the last four organs and never had any problems, but recently I changed organs, set up as normal and continued as before, but after 3 months one day I switched on and realized the keyboard could not be heard.

I checked all I could think of but could see no errors in connecting and the volume adjusters of both units were as normal, I then checked the junction box for cross feeds or shorts and then played just the keyboard with the organ disconnected ,the volume was back where it should be, I then plugged in the lead from the junction box into the organ headphone socket and immediately the keyboard’s volume went down again, still connected I played the organ and it performed perfectly with correct volume, but together they suddenly have decided not to work. But why, this has really got me beat.
    But I have decided to buy a proper mixer unit, but as they only do as I am doing but with a simple junction box I cannot see this curing the problem.

Has anyone any ideas please Ken

Without knowing what's inside your junction box, it's difficult to say exactly what your problem is, but if you're not isolating inputs with resistors to the summing point, that's your problem. A mixer will isolate the inputs from each other to prevent them loading each other. This can be done passively with resistors, but it's preferable to use a powered active mixer.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Thank you admin, I have now ordered a proper mixer and hope it will arrive in a few days. I will report back on how things go. My junction box was simply 6 pairs of phono sockets with all the red socket terminals interconnected and the same for the white sockets and also the outside bodies , so in effect it made 3 separate common circuits, the funny thing was i used this method of using the headphone sockets (far better volume ) to avoid the volume problems associated with Aux circuits on many organs, with a Yamaha AR, Roland AT 80 and Technics G100 I never had a problem, the last acquisition is a Ringway RS1000e which worked fine for 3 months and then suddenly this happened so I thought I may have blown something .
      Your answer is very reassuring thank you so much. Ken

Comment

HI Ken

When your mixer arrives, connect the low level output of the organ to the mixer (Rather than the headphone) as you will be able to balance the levels with the mixer, (Assuming your Ringway has an output that is) thus you will be using everything as intended by the manufactures.

NOTE: Most mixers (Depends on price and use) use jack or XLR/TRS connections, so make sure you have the correct leads or adaptors

Bill

Comment

Thanks abacus, I would like to connect to the low output sockets but I could not get any sound out of the even when headphones were connected (twin stereo jack plugs) unfortunately the Ringway manual only outlines the basic functions and their troubleshooting is not comprehensive enough. It may be I have to enable them in some way but ( my own fault ) customer support in the UK s basically their sole Distributer / Agent and as I did not buy from them and of course no manufacterer's warranty so they may not be very interested ! I have used them in the past and found them very helpful but with a higher technical matter I think it could be different.

But aside from this as far as I am led to believe there is another side to this and unknown I imagine to most prospective purchasers , the UK version is a souped up of the original (made in Japan ) but Orla of Italy took on the distributorship and started modifying the organ and changing the software and requested other physical changes ,Japan were not too happy about that I understand. and did not co operate But where does that leave the owner, in my case it does not apply as it is out of their warranty , but any software updates issued by Ringway Japan would not work in the UK model ! Ken

Comment

Hi Ken

Ringway is a Chinese company (Not Japanese) and they worked closely with Orla of Italy as well as Music traders UK (Paul Carman) to make the sounds and features more to what the European market prefers. (Don’t know who gave you that information, but the fact that they didn’t even know where Ringway was designed and manufactured makes their contribution suspect anyway)

It is fully mentioned by Paul Carman on the UK Orla Channel Ringway demos (So nothing is hidden) here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a2G...8FMttM_3pMNI3q

Bill

Comment

Definitely suspect info, Ken. The European Ringway models are indeed different to the Asian market ones, as Bill said. I'd imagine Ringway are delighted with the changes, given the number of organs that Paul has shifted in the UK! There's never been any 'secret' about this, and Paul has been keen to stress the UK input into the design and voicing.

Assuming that your Ringway is a UK spec model and not a grey import, then if you have questions, then contact Music Traders and speak to Paul. I've known him more years than either of us would care to remember and he's a very helpful, approachable guy. It's not in Music Traders' interest to have unhappy Ringway owners, even if they've bought the instrument second-hand. Grey imports are another matter.

You say you can't get sound from the low level (presumably line level) outputs. What are you plugging them into? They won't drive headphones and we know your home made box won't work properly, even with headphones level output.
              It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
              Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
              Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
              Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thanks abacus and and andyg, I did say the situation was only as far as I believed but yes the source was obviously not reliable and I shall gently point this out to them .

Thanks for all you help on the volume problem, the mixer arrives tomorrow, you see how the ignorant among us make a mess of things, I had no clue as to how the line outs were used either but I was never brought up with these sort of things, ( ex engineer, now if it was a diesel engine I would be on safe ground. Ken

Comment

Once an engineer, always an engineer, as my late brother used to say (marine engineer, steam and diesel).
                  It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                  Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                  Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                  Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Working...
                  X