This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond Concorde Model 2182--- Wersi Spectra with golden gate, Kawai SR6

I have an interest in buying one of these organs. The sellers state that all are in perfect working order and are available to be played before buying. I have listened to all of these on You Tube ( The Kawai on Andy's website) All three of the organs I have heard on You Tube sound great.

What I would like input on is the maintanance down the road, availability of parts, how hard to service, etc. Also is anyone on the forum that has information as to how dependable (or not) each one of these might be.

Wersi is not common at all here in South Carolina . Any information members could share would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Marshall

I can only speak for the Kawai.

1) no spares available, the model is now 31 years old
    2) like many organs, you open the lid, then undo sets of bolts from under the keyboards to release the control panel and the keyboards, all of which hinge up and give access to everything. Well laid out, plenty of space and the boards are all plug in.
    3) SR6s are usually very reliable. 3 known issues, the only one you're likely to come across is dust in the key contacts. With the organ open you have simple access to the key contacts which can be cleaned with denatured alcohol. The other issues only affected early examples, the capacitor supressing pops from the leslie relay/motors wasn't big enough so needed upgrading. And the first batch had defective MIDI chips. These two issues were usually corrected by dealers in store or after delivery. Of course, at 31, age is beginning to become a factor and you should be prepared for issues with e-caps etc. Interestingly, the SR series organs don't seem to suffer badly from the usual issue of inter-board connectors corroding or tarnishing.

The Concorde is much older, 1974. If it's playing perfectly now, there's a good chance that it won't be after a trip to your home! Connectors are the problem in this case. No spares for this one, of course.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

The Wersi has some custom chips which are no longer available; however most of the parts are obtainable off the shelf.
      The instruments were available in kit form and if they were built correctly (With care) they will be as reliable as a factory built model, if thrown together you will probably end up with a host of problems.
      Batteries need to be replaced every so often to prevent damage to the boards and the plug-in boards will need re-seating every so often as will the LSI Chips, in addition the contacts on the keyboards will need some contact cleaner every so often.
      Age is difficult to judge, if it came with Golden Gate new, then it shouldn’t be earlier than 1995, however if the Golden Gate upgrade was added later, then it could be as early as 1987.
      It is the most comprehensive of the 3 instruments you mention; with the Golden Gate giving you all the technology’s that were available throughout the 90s, (It is also relatively easy to program to make it your own) not forgetting that it is also fully GM Midi compatible.
      If everything is working, then it is a good sign that it was either factory built or care has been taken in the building of it.
      You don’t quote what prices are being asked for any of the instruments so it is not possible to say if they are good value or not. (In the UK the Spectra (With Golden Gate) would probably be around the £500 mark and probably the most expensive of the 3)

Bill

Comment

Heart says Concorde (I love 'em), head says SR6.

Comment

Originally posted by seamaster View Post
          Heart says Concorde (I love 'em), head says SR6.
          Wonder what wallet will say?
          Current Organ: Wersi Sonic OAX800
          Previous Organs: Wersi Verona, Wersi Beta DX401, Yamaha FE-70, Yamaha B-75N
          Previous Other: Wersi MAX-1, Wersi OX7, Korg N5, Yamaha DX27

Comment

A working concorde is great organ, but due to age and the already mentioned connectors they are a problem waiting to happen, the SR6 is a good organ despite its age and now very affordable.
            Out of the 3 the SR6 is the safest option, and is a lot of organ.

Comment

I of the three, I only have experience with the Concorde. The only other organs I've had to work were one tube-based Lowrey spinet, and a bunch of transistorised spinets.

The Concorde is a dream to work on, and there's not much that's likely to fail on one (beyond the usual filter capacitors) other than a boatload of connectors which will oxidise. Opening it up on delivery, and unplugging each connector, applying DeOxit, and reconnecting them, is a few hour job and shouldn't need to be done again for a long, long time. In fact, that's a great way to get a quick familiarisation with the organ gubbins.

I wouldn't let that deter me.

Comment

The 2182 was built between 1972-1976. If you go with a 2100 series, see if you can get a later serial number. There were some factory redesigns in the later ones, mainly filtering that gave it a smoother sound. Of course, if you want a Concorde, look into the 2300 series. You get the AutoVari64 rhythm unit, more filtering with the addition of more filter boards. That organ had a really gutsy sound -not B3- but quite acceptable for an LSI unit. An added plus, is if you could get a 710 Leslie, that's a killer sound!

Comment

I'm personally not 100% sure about the 1972 date, WK, even though that's what Blue Book says. I was there at the UK launch of the Concorde and Regent in February 1974 and played both organs. And the world premiere was apparently in Switzerland, of all places, with the event being reported in the UK music trade press around the same time. I can remember Hammond UK's Bryan Rodwell telling me about the prototype 'launch' so maybe that's where the 1972 date comes from?
                  It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                  Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                  Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Andy, my first Concorde that I purchased in 1984, was the first one sold in Southern Maine. It was dated 1972 on the manufacturing stamp on the back. Maybe they didn't hit the UK until 1974?

Mark

Comment

Entirely possible, though a year or more's gap between US and UK launches of a major product seems odd. That UK launch included Concorde, Regent, Maverick and Cougar, the last three of which are shown as 73 in Blue Book. If yours said 72, then 72 it must have been.

Comment

Thanks everbody for the info, Due to a recent CT scan I might be buying a few heart stints instead of another organ. It seems that it show that I have built up a lot of plaque in the last 79 years. They tell me they like for the number to be under 300; mine was 1823!! Meet with cardiologist August 28th,SO I might better hold off on the organ. The price on the Wersi was $800 The SR-6 was $600 The Concorde was $225 . If the Concorde sounded as good as it looked in the picture; I believe it might have been a good buy. Thanks again everybody! Marshall

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Hope the Doctors sort you out soon. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Comment

Working...
                          X