Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kawai SR6 can it be split for transportation?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawai SR6 can it be split for transportation?

Hi all, I'm looking to pick up a Kawai SR6
    Is it possible to split it to aid transportation.
    As an encouragement to all organ enthusiasts... I live in Derby and my aim is to put a decent organ into a number of nursing homes in Derby with a view of playing them and adding a ray of music for the residents. I've not really played for 30 years and seeing decent organs that are great fun to play, rather than see them end up in a scrap heap or left unloved I'd like to practice again and at the same time break into folks memory banks and get them tapping their feet and possibly singing again.
    Dave from derby

Can it be split? Only with a large saw. It was never designed as a splittable console. It is a big, heavy beast and for that I make no apologies. I wanted full size keys for the third manual and wouldn't back down on that! I asked for solid wood, I wanted a sealed internal enclosure for the speakers and that was just for starters. So the weight and size are sort of my fault. Be aware that the front to back depth is 29 1/4", that will make it tight in a house, but should be just fine in nursing homes as they have to allow for wheelchairs, hospital trolleys and the like.

Experience tells me that music in these homes is a wonderful thing. My mother in law has severe dementia and can't remember what happened five minutes ago, but if you get a singer in to entertain or if they play a 'guess the title' or 'sing the next line' game, them she can remember every title, every word and sometimes even who sang the tune! She's not alone in that, and all the home's residents seem to love music, of any type. So good for you with your project, I hope it goes well.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thanks...
      Encouragement much appreciated...
      I think my car roof rack may not cope with the whole SR6 on the roof.
      I am tempted to try... but doing my best to get a van

Well worth the while

Comment

Picked up the SR6 for free. But £68 for van hire and petrol. Yep 2 of us struggled to get it into the van... no chance of lifting it onto car roof rack.
        In the firestation for now untill suitable nursing home can be found as it's so big and heavy . Will give me time to get used to it.

Comment

Glad the move went well. If you need any advice on using it, just let me know. It was the last of my 'babies' when I worked for Kawai.
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Kawai SR6... when i press Tibia effect "upper chorus" the strength of sound of the organ tabs nearly all but dies... the volume reduces by more than half... I presume the upper chorus is supposed to kick in some form of Leslie.. I don't know if this is normal or if it's telling me a speaker/Leslie has blown... the organ/ tibia tabs don't sound very impressive at all compared to my wega... and hitting the chorus button makes it even worse rather than better...
            Am I missing something...
            Also the TAB button ... the last button of the stored registration settings seem to prevent the draw bars working all together

Comment

Upper Chorus sends the upper drawbars to the leslie. The tremolo button switches the leslie from slow to fast. There is a separate amp and speaker for that channel. Check on headphones, as these use the electronic trem that's built into the organ.

The drawbar sound will, once it's sorted and running through a leslie channel that's working, be very different to the Wega. Not the sharp European sound, but a much smoother American sound, more like a Gulbransen than a Hammond.The last button - Drawbar Fix will let you toggle between a registration preset using the drawbar setting at the time of programming or the current physical position of the drawbars.

Rhythm Fix does the same thing for the rhythm, you can have the rhythm that was set in the preset, or whatever rhythm is currently selected.

Comment

Thanks Andy, understood regarding drawbar fix and rhythm fix. Headphones work fine .... on pressing chorus button
                I might look at taking the top off and have a look inside and see if I can give it a clean,
                Only way to hear any decent sound is to turn everything else down and put organ on full volume and swell pedal full on. Not sure if I can here a faint amount of distortion/crashing noise coming out of the top section of the organ.
                Similar crashing noise came from the wersi... apparently that turned out to be a faulty relay in connection with the amp.
                I'll try and give the guts some kind of air clean... I've got a spray can supposedly to clean electrical contacts... not sure if spraying electrical parts with that will help or or blow it up?
                Sr6 is at firestation at the moment... Will have a look at it on Monday night.
                Everything else works fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Also.. if I use an external amp.. Will it do the same thing?
                I'll check whether or not when using headphones the sound problem still exists when switching on the chorus button

Comment

Hi... I've tried kawai sr6 through the headphones... the chorus button works fine... I don't lose any volume at all... the sound is strong and don't lose any effect apart from I presume you say it plays through the tremelo rather than the Leslie speaker....
                  So the chorus button works but any ideas what's wrong ... is my Leslie blown ? Amp blown... or something else?

Comment

Working...
                  X