Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrey DSO-1 Leslie type conversion

Hi,

I'd like to make my lowrey dso compatible with my Leslie 122. It is wired for a 45 now. When I plug in the 122 I get terrible noises. I was told I need to rewire it. Can anyone help??

Although the 45 and the 122 both use a 6 pin connection, they are definitely NOT compatible and if you plug a 122 into a 45/145 outlet, or vice versa you run the risk of damaging both, so you must never do it. Let's hope you haven't done any damage by plugging in the 122 so far.

Question: Why do you want to do this? The 45 is the better cabinet for the DSO-1, IMHO. The 122 has less treble response than the 45 so the overall sound will be duller. And the increased cabinet size is said to boost the bass response. Are these two things what you want?

If no, and you just want a two speed option on the 45, there are plenty of conversion kits out there that will effectively make it a 145.

If yes, you will have to install a connector kit for the 122. There is no kit specifically made for the Lowrey, as the 122 was designed as a Hammond only cabinet. Its audio input is balanced, whereas the 45's is unbalanced. This means that the kit will have to include a 1:1 unbalanced to balanced transformer. The speed switching is also very different and that has to be accounted for in the kit. It's possible that you could source and modify a kit intended for Hammond's spinet models, such as the 8010 or 8200 but you won't find one new, and I think you might be lucky to find one.

Personal advice? Stick with what you've got, and convert the 45 to two speed. Or, if you have the 122 as 'spare', sell it and buy a 147 - you'll make a profit on that deal! Then sell the 45 as well, or run both cabinets together.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thanks for your knowledge Andy!

I have only the 122 as far as leslies. However, the music gods have also blessed me with a B3, so the 122 aint going no where, lol!

I scored the DSO for free and am somewhat ambivilant about it. It takes up space which is more of a premium these days, but it is a cool instrument! I was hoping to use the 122 for both depending on which I'm playing but it sounds like no dice on that endeavor....

Too bad, a 45 is not in the budget.

Comment

The DSO-1 is one of the 'classics', just as the B-3 is, but a very different animal, as you know! Free is a very good price for one, though they usually take some TLC to get back into full order.

Here's the schematics for one of the two kits that I mentioned. You'll see the required transformer as a central part.

8010 kit: http://www.fishorgans.com/leslie_kit...or_Hammond.pdf

I can't find the schematics for the 8200 kit.

In short, if you have the electronics skills, it's do-able, but will take some work.
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

As Andy says, it's a different animal to the B3, but an animal none the less. Through a 145 (or 45) with the a 16', Quint tabs and 8' registration it has a classic sound. And with AOC (which, as I'm sure you're aware requires lower manual chords to be played to engage it) it's a unique sound. Crank it up and it's as dirty as a Hammond.

There was an article written about it a few years ago in Sound on Sound magazine which you can source on the web... worth a look if you want to find out more.

Cheers/L

Comment

Indeed, just check out youtube clips of Alan Haven playing it to hear what Lazlo means! :)

Comment

What exactly would I need to connect my DSO-1 to a Leslie 147?

Comment

Just a cable. You already have a 147 outlet on the back of the organ from the factory.
                Hammond C3, M102, H112, XB3, XB5, X5, TTR-100
                Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, Yamaha E70
                Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Gibson G201, Korg BX3 Mk1
                Leslie 122 x2, 145 x2, 910
                www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Thanks! Just starting to learn the tech specs regarding the various models of Leslies. 147 is unbalanced correct? Also, what is the best way to plug other sources, such as a guitar or a line level out from an audio interface (vocals, synths) into the 147? I appreciate the help!

Comment

• andyg
                    andyg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Leslies look for hot, speaker level, low impedance inputs, unbalanced in the case of the 147. To plug in a guitar etc, you either have to start modding the amp - adding a pre-amp stage - or you build or buy a Combo Pre Amp.

• myorgan
                    myorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jermus,

It sounds like you're trying to emulate what the Beatles did with their DSO-1 in the Abbey Road studios. I daresay they had quality engineers to make that happen (or they didn't care what they blew up!).

Just because it's possible doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Michael

Originally posted by jermus View Post
                  Thanks! Just starting to learn the tech specs regarding the various models of Leslies. 147 is unbalanced correct? Also, what is the best way to plug other sources, such as a guitar or a line level out from an audio interface (vocals, synths) into the 147? I appreciate the help!
                  One thing I should add which is very important when connecting a 145/147 to a DSO-1 is that if you are in a 230V country your Lowrey might be putting out 117V to the 147 relay coil. My friend had to have a tech modify his 147 due to his DSO-1 putting out 117V from the Leslie output. If you're in a 117V country you will be okay.
                  www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into the pre amp option. I'm in the US, so I should be OK!

Comment

• myorgan
                      myorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jermus,

Thank you for reviving this thread. I will probably be connecting a Leslie 125 to my Lowrey DSO-1 in the next few months, and the information you're getting from all benefits us all.

Thank you!

Michael

Quick follow up question about hooking up a 147 to a DSO-1, can you control the two speeds from the Lowrey switches or do you use a separate control? How does it all hook together?

Comment

• myorgan
                      myorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's controlled by the onboard Leslie controls. I'm not sure if it bypasses the internal Leslie or works with it, though. I'm working on getting an affordable Leslie to test on my DSO, but everyone wants a mint for them.

Michael

It really is a 'plug-in-and-play' of the highest order - no messing around with wiring in kits/hook-ups. Once you've got your 147 plugged in, engage the EXTERN'L tab and this by-passes both the main speakers and internal Leslie. There's an additional option to then add main to Leslie which introduces the internal stationary speakers should you need them, but this might only apply for monitoring for live shows. The tremolo tab then controls the speed of your external cab.

Comment

Thanks for the response, that is easy!

Comment

Originally posted by jermus View Post
                        Thanks for the response, that is easy!
                        Lazlo is right. I'd just reiterate what I said previously about the relays if you're in a non 117 volt mains country. 230 volt DSO models often send 117 volt switching voltage to the Leslie. If the Leslie has a 230 volt relay it will just buzz. If you are in the USA or another country with 115-117 voltage mains then ignore me.
                        www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X