X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Were Specifications Determined?

Hi all,

I recently played a small concert at a church which had a Conn Minuet Model 461. (See my thread in General Chat.) In thinking about the organ and older spinet organs in general, I have begun to wonder about the decision making process for the stops/specifications for the analogue, older spinets, especially the small- to middle-size instruments. (Most of the larger spinets I have encountered have a wide variety stops and are often just slightly a scaled-down specification of a console model.) Why would a certain manufacturer decide to put stop X and not Y on an organ when a comparable model from another company would include stop Y but not X? This question had never occurred to me before and seems particularly interesting when there are not many stops.

Just pondering the question.

Thanks,
    Allen
    Currently own: Roland Atelier AT-90, Yamaha 115D, Roland DP-90SE, Yamaha PSR-S910

YouTube Channel

With most design, it comes down to constraints and designer/customer preferences (or at least perceived customer preferences).

A customer (or customer base) may expect certain things on an organ. Then a designer may fill in the rest with either their own preferences or stops that complement the customer's expectations.
    Sam
    Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

Working...
    X