This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrey Auction on radio

Well, if you had second thoughts the organ market was dead there was a live broadcast on the radio today a Lowrey sold for 18K with many people attending to buy it. Interesting to hear such enthusiasm with the people out there for the home organ and we may hear more like this in the future perhaps. I missed the reserve quoted but am told it was 9K.

Back to work.
    HAMMOND XE200 Special Edition

That is why they have auctions. Fear of loss and greed both together you can sell a roll of toilet paper for 1 grand. But if there are so many people wanting home organs then maybe Lowrey will be saved. and Roland may start making organs again. would be nice

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Hammond-Organist View Post
    Well, if you had second thoughts the organ market was dead there was a live broadcast on the radio today a Lowrey sold for 18K with many people attending to buy it. Interesting to hear such enthusiasm with the people out there for the home organ and we may hear more like this in the future perhaps. I missed the reserve quoted but am told it was 9K.

Back to work.
    Also you are in England I think it's way better over there than here... You all seem more reasonable to me anyway

Comment

18K? What model, how old and how much did the original owner pay for it? And is the new owner now gnashing his teeth and screaming after finding out what it's actually worth? :D
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

As I said I don't know how the organ market is in England. you all seem to be more into it than we are now. I LOVE the English theatre organ or blackpool as hear it called Here in my area SW Missouri the organ is dead as dead can be. I never hear the organ even in the cathedral only piano. But with auctions you either get a great deal or the frenzy starts and it's a competition and game on... I do ask.. how is the organ market in England. is it better? I love the English Lowrey I saw the white one. that is COOL there are no white Lowreys here in the US unless you paint it.

Comment

Yes the colours are made to order.

Hi Andy. They didnt give a model number matey. I suspect it was from one of the auction houses house clearances which they do much of. Good job we know we all come to dust eventually including Organs. I would guess probably one of the newer models at that price but interesting to hear organs talked about on the radio broadcast.
          HAMMOND XE200 Special Edition

Comment

The new organ market over here is as dead as it is everywhere. A small number of Lowreys, Wersis, Bohms and Bemores, plus some Ringways.

The home organ scene peaked about 5 years later over here - 1970 to 1985 generally being accepted as the 'boom years'. I was lucky enough to ride that wave and it was a great ride! So the demographic of organ owners is similar to the USA, most owners are now elderly. So there are plenty of used organs around from the late 60s onwards. Probably not much at all before that, apart from some Hammond tonewheel models, the occasional Lowrey Heritage DSO and some odds and ends like Birds, Comptons, Burges and the like. You don't find the really old Gulbransens, Baldwins, Wurlitzers that still crop up in the USA.

The 'Blackpool sound' is still as popular as ever, with thousands of people still dancing to it every year at the Tower Ballroom. Only thing is that for many people, that is 'theatre organ' and they never get to hear all the other styles that are possible on the instrument. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Blackpool style, though I recognise the musicianship of those who play it. I like the 'American' style, artists like George Wright, Ashley Miller, Billy Nalle and their modern day counterparts.

White organs are like Marmite (another UK institution!) - you either love them or hate them. On stage, I think they look great, and the Tower Ballroom has a unique white Roland AT900. I've played plenty of white stage models but I wouldn't want one in my lounge. Call me old fashioned, but I love the lacquered wood and polished wood finishes.
            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
            Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

I bet you can count the number of Böhms and Bemores sold in the UK this year on one hand. The number of Wersis and Lowreys on two. Ringway seems to have shifted more units if the glut of them turning up on eBay is anything to go by, but even then penny numbers. And the used market is getting stagnant, I never thought I'd see cheap AT-900s hanging around unsold for so long.

Comment

Working...
              X